George Heckled for Unknown Reasons

Pez posts a cyclingnews ricochet with still no mention of the
L'Equipe affair....

Big George Suffers The Slings And Arrows Of Bad Fans
It seems that very few of the enormous crowd present were happy to see
George Hincapie the winner on the day. Cyclingnews pays special care to
the topic:

"The atmosphere at the end of the GP Plouay - the most popular one-day
race in France - was very similar to the 1998 edition of the Breton
event when Pascal Hervé won in the wave of the Festina scandal. Never
had a winner received such little applause in the village that hosted
the World Championships in 2000. No more than one-third of the
spectators in the grandstands cheered for George Hincapie, not to
mention those whistling and booing."

A ridiculous showing by a 100,000 strong group of specators. It's
unfortunate that a hard-earned victory had to be tainted by boorish
fans, especially when the fans' angst had not a thing to do with
Hincapie or his sixth win of the season.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]

Maybe they read the L'Equipe article and still don't think George can climb
without preparation a la Lance.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
Pez posts a cyclingnews ricochet with still no mention of the
L'Equipe affair....

Big George Suffers The Slings And Arrows Of Bad Fans
It seems that very few of the enormous crowd present were happy to see
George Hincapie the winner on the day. Cyclingnews pays special care to
the topic:

"The atmosphere at the end of the GP Plouay - the most popular one-day
race in France -

Wouldn't Paris - Roubaix be just a tiny bit more popular?

Mark VandenBerghe

B. Lafferty wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> Pez posts a cyclingnews ricochet with still no mention of the
> L'Equipe affair....
>
> Big George Suffers The Slings And Arrows Of Bad Fans
> It seems that very few of the enormous crowd present were happy to see
> George Hincapie the winner on the day. Cyclingnews pays special care to
> the topic:
>
> "The atmosphere at the end of the GP Plouay - the most popular one-day
> race in France - was very similar to the 1998 edition of the Breton
> event when Pascal Hervé won in the wave of the Festina scandal. Never
> had a winner received such little applause in the village that hosted
> the World Championships in 2000. No more than one-third of the
> spectators in the grandstands cheered for George Hincapie, not to
> mention those whistling and booing."
>
> A ridiculous showing by a 100,000 strong group of specators. It's
> unfortunate that a hard-earned victory had to be tainted by boorish
> fans, especially when the fans' angst had not a thing to do with
> Hincapie or his sixth win of the season.
>
> Maybe they read the L'Equipe article and still don't think George can climb
> without preparation a la Lance.

Spoken like a true spud, Blind Spot. I'm waiting for you to start in
on George. After all, guilty by association, right? It must be so
simple being you.

B. Lafferty wrote:

> Those of us who live outside the rbr/lance bubble by reading Euro sources
> and speaking with Euro friends, know that there is great cynicism in France
> about Monsieur George and his cleanliness. That they react to him this way,
> even though his wife(?) is French is telling.

Telling of what? That they're chauvinistic? Wow. What news. That
they're cynical? Please tell me something the French aren't cynical
about. Maybe Virenque - but there's nothing there to be cynical about.

Or are you suggesting that George married that gorgeous woman because
she's French and he wanted to garner their support? Yes, that must be
it. Swift logic, Zippy.

You sure you're not the one in the bubble?

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:40:31 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>Pez posts a cyclingnews ricochet with still no mention of the
>L'Equipe affair....
>
>Big George Suffers The Slings And Arrows Of Bad Fans
>It seems that very few of the enormous crowd present were happy to see
>George Hincapie the winner on the day. Cyclingnews pays special care to
>the topic:
>
>"The atmosphere at the end of the GP Plouay - the most popular one-day
>race in France - was very similar to the 1998 edition of the Breton
>event when Pascal Hervé won in the wave of the Festina scandal. Never
>had a winner received such little applause in the village that hosted
>the World Championships in 2000. No more than one-third of the
>spectators in the grandstands cheered for George Hincapie, not to
>mention those whistling and booing."
>
>A ridiculous showing by a 100,000 strong group of specators. It's
>unfortunate that a hard-earned victory had to be tainted by boorish
>fans, especially when the fans' angst had not a thing to do with
>Hincapie or his sixth win of the season.
>
>Maybe they read the L'Equipe article and still don't think George can climb
>without preparation a la Lance.

Have you ever noticed how often the most homophobic of people turn out
to be gay?

What kind of drugs are you on Lafferty?

>Wouldn't Paris - Roubaix be just a tiny bit more popular?

Well in pure term of spectators watching, GP Plouay is during august,
it s still holiday for lot of folks (french, dutch, belgium,
germans..), it s in brittany where lot of people spend vacation time.
So that may be way they say it the most popular, not presdigious, but
popular in terms of numbers may be.
My 2 cents

Mark VandenBerghe wrote:

> Wouldn't Paris - Roubaix be just a tiny bit more popular?

It's a Belgian classic, didn't you know?

--
IT Management. Tel: +64 3 479 5478
Web and database hosting, Co-location. Web: http://www.wic.co.nz

In article
<[email protected]>,
"SHUSSBAR" <[email protected]> wrote:

> What s wrong with being cynical anyway?

Quote that message, then read it. Notice how it addresses
not the wisdom of cynicism, but Lafferty's making
something special of a particular case of cynicism in an
ocean of it.

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "SHUSSBAR" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What s wrong with being cynical anyway?

> Quote that message, then read it. Notice how it addresses
> not the wisdom of cynicism, but Lafferty's making
> something special of a particular case of cynicism in an
> ocean of it.
>
> --
> Michael Press

Dude, I didn't start the thread that asked the question of why he was
heckled. I just provided an accurate explanation. Deal with it or not, as
you please.

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Maybe they read the L'Equipe article and still don't think George can climb
> > without preparation a la Lance.

> Maybe they think his sunglasses look like ****. You don't want
> to overlook the obvious.
>
> And good lord, check out the hat:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/aug05/GPplouay05/index.php?id=DSCF2129

I think it's a PR problem, and an easy one to fix. Look at that
picture again. Notice anything goofy about it? Yep. Everything. He
just has to play up the resemblance to Jerry Lewis and take a few
pratfalls. Instant love affair.

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Maybe they read the L'Equipe article and still don't think George can
>> climb
>> without preparation a la Lance.

> Maybe they think his sunglasses look like ****. You don't want
> to overlook the obvious.
>
> And good lord, check out the hat:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/aug05/GPplouay05/index.php?id=DSCF2129

Probably his first Father's Day gift from his daughter.

> Bob Schwartz
> [email protected]

On 08/30/2005 03:25 PM, in article [email protected], "Bob
Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Maybe they read the L'Equipe article and still don't think George can climb
>> without preparation a la Lance.

> Maybe they think his sunglasses look like ****. You don't want
> to overlook the obvious.
>
> And good lord, check out the hat:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/aug05/GPplouay05/index.php?id=DSCF2129

The fact that he's wearing it ON TOP of his podium/baseball cap sure doesn't
help.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

In article <[email protected]>,
Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

> B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Maybe they read the L'Equipe article and still don't think George can climb
> > without preparation a la Lance.

> Maybe they think his sunglasses look like ****. You don't want
> to overlook the obvious.
>
> And good lord, check out the hat:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/aug05/GPplouay05/index.php?id=DSCF2129
>
> Bob Schwartz
> [email protected]

Hat? Whu... Oh, he borrowed that from Madeleine.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article
<[email protected]>,
"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > "SHUSSBAR" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> What s wrong with being cynical anyway?

> > Quote that message, then read it. Notice how it addresses
> > not the wisdom of cynicism, but Lafferty's making
> > something special of a particular case of cynicism in an
> > ocean of it.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Press

> Dude, I didn't start the thread that asked the question of why he was
> heckled. I just provided an accurate explanation. Deal with it or not, as
> you please.

I was not talking to you. So what is it I need to "deal with?"

--
Michael Press

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Maybe they read the L'Equipe article and still don't think George can
>> climb
>> without preparation a la Lance.

> Maybe they think his sunglasses look like ****. You don't want
> to overlook the obvious.
>
> And good lord, check out the hat:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/aug05/GPplouay05/index.php?id=DSCF2129
>
> Bob Schwartz
> [email protected]

He was wearing the hat because he lost a bet.