Good routes from Minneapolis to Wisconsin?

Bryanska

Guest
I live in the Dinkytown/St. Anthony Main neighborhood of
Minneapolis and would like to find a scenic bike route
from Minneapolis to somewhere in Wisconsin (doesn't
matter where).

What are my options? I bought a MPLS commuter map but am
having trouble finding a scenic route to WI. I thought it'd
be a nice summertime ride.

Bryanska wrote:

> I live in the Dinkytown/St. Anthony Main neighborhood of
> Minneapolis and would like to find a scenic bike route
> from Minneapolis to somewhere in Wisconsin (doesn't
> matter where).
>
> What are my options? I bought a MPLS commuter map but am
> having trouble finding a scenic route to WI. I thought
> it'd be a nice summertime ride.

I'd get to the Gateway trail. From Dinkytown go south on the
river road to Summit ave. That will take you to the Capitol
in St. Paul. The Gateway is on the other side of the Capitol
building (north east of it towards 35E) That will take you
all the way out to White Bear/Sillwater. From there take
Manning Trail (95) to anyone of the places you can cross
over to Wisconsin.

I'll second the use of the Gateway trail as quick means to
get to Wisconsin from Mpls-St.Paul. We use it when we leave
our St. Paul home and go on our multi-day rides Sometimes
the trail does get crowded, so you'll want to watch for the
usual hazards on this multi-use trail. I jump off of the
trail at County 12, aka 75th Street North, and take it east-
bound to Stillwater where I cross the bridge to the land of
Cheese and Beer. From there, take the first right and CLIMB
up to county E.

Another Option is to cross the St Croix River in Prescott.
County 21 south from Afton will take you there.

The Hwy I-94 bridge also has a sidewalk on the north side.
Take the frontage road on the south side of 94 and turn left
to go under the freeway just before reaching the bridge.

Once you get to Wisconsin, check out this link for road bike-
ability (is that a word?) http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/bike-
foot/countymaps.htm

Have fun, Jim

"Matt Kauffmann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bryanska wrote:
>
> > I live in the Dinkytown/St. Anthony Main neighborhood of
> > Minneapolis and would like to find a scenic bike route
> > from Minneapolis to somewhere in Wisconsin (doesn't
> > matter where).
> >
> > What are my options? I bought a MPLS commuter map but am
> > having trouble finding a scenic route to WI. I thought
> > it'd be a nice summertime ride.
>

> I'd get to the Gateway trail. From Dinkytown go south on
> the river road
> Summit ave. That will take you to the Capitol in St. Paul.
> The Gateway
is
> on the other side of the Capitol building (north east of
> it towards 35E) That will take you all the way out to
> White Bear/Sillwater. From there take Manning Trail (95)
> to anyone of the places you can cross over to Wisconsin.

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
Servers! =-----

Hey, I'm moving up to the St. Anthony Main area of Mpls in
a few months. Are there any online bike trail maps of the
twin cities?

Neil

jmk wrote:
> The Hwy I-94 bridge also has a sidewalk on the north
> side. Take the frontage road on the south side of 94 and
> turn left to go under the freeway just before reaching
> the bridge.

There is an I-94 bridge project going on this year, which
will move the sidewalk from the north bridge to the south
bridge. Here's a quote from the project web site: "The
sidewalk will be removed from the westbound bridge while a
new sidewalk will be added to the eastbound bridge with
connections to Minnesota and Wisconsin bike trails."

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/d6/i94/index.htm

During the construction there will be shuttles available for
pedestrians and cyclists.

--
Craig Holl
Mechanical Engineer; New Berlin, WI

The Hiawatha Bike club has some maps on the web here:
http://www.hiawathabike.org/maps_on_the_web_1.htm

I'd recommend picking up the Twin Cities Bike Map by
Little Transport Press. It costs $8.95 and its available
at most bike shops. It covers the metro on one side and
has additional detail on the other side for Minneapolis
and St. Paul.

"Neil Bratney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey, I'm moving up to the St. Anthony Main area of Mpls in
> a few months. Are there any online bike trail maps of the
> twin cities?
>
> Neil
>
> Bryanska wrote:
> > I live in the Dinkytown/St. Anthony Main neighborhood of
> > Minneapolis and would like to find a scenic bike route
> > from Minneapolis to somewhere in Wisconsin (doesn't
> > matter where).
> >
> > What are my options? I bought a MPLS commuter map but am
> > having trouble finding a scenic route to WI. I thought
> > it'd be a nice summertime ride.

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
Servers! =-----

Neil,

You're gonna love the area. Seriosuly, if you like bikes,
you'll plotz.