Got a MTB... but i only commute advice needed please

Bike-Noob

Jun 29, 2023
Hi, I have a MTB but only use it to commute to work and back (about 3 miles each way).

It's mainly along roads, Cycle / footpaths, some small hills and a small stretch of gravel pathways.

Doing some research, it seems the my route to work is probably better suited to a hybrid bike. I can’t afford a hybrid bike so I’ll have to make do with my MTB which I’m sure is fine on a mountain but on the roads of Berkshire it’s a bit overkill.

Is there anything i can do to help 'convert' my 27.5” MTB for better efficiency and comfort?
  • Will I be able to use 700c wheels for example?
  • Is there a way to change my suspension fork for a ridged one? – Will this be better? (I read that this will keep the energy on the wheels rather than loosing is all on the suspension) it currently feels very 'spongy' although it’s on the firmest setting I can get it to.
I’m already looking into getting some smoother/ thinner tyres which should be better than my ‘knobbly’ MTB tyres.

The bike isn’t a great bike by any stretch of the imagination, but as I said I can’t really afford to buy either a new bike nor does it seem very cost effective to change all the parts if this adds up to the same cost of a new bike anyway.

I’m not 100% on all the jargon but I’ll try to follow along if anyone has any tips / Advice for me.

I have a Carrera ‘Vantage’ if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

A LOT of short distance commuters use MTB on paved road use.

They can't be all stupid. Common reasons given, MTB is about the most comfortable bike for commuting you can use and ironically, that is true!

The concept of commuting is riding in all kinds weather. You can't just stay at home on the account of rain, can you? And knobby tires provide the best amount of grip in wet conditions on either gravel or paved roads. And don't underestimate the value of suspension fork in ride comfort they can make a huge difference.

It makes very marginal difference between switching from 27.5" wheels to 29" wheels (700c) on mostly paved roads. But you really can't force a 29" wheel on your 27.5 bike unless you used much thinner tires. Also a 29" wheel is going to be slightly heavier than 27.5.

Ironically, you already have one of the best bike type for commuting, an MTB at least according to most commuters in the American continent.

I commuted on a 26 wheel mountain bike before. Purely for entertainment.

I installed smooth slick high pressure tires.

Made a huge difference I efficiency. From 35 psi to 90, much less rolling resistance.

That's all I did and it was plenty.

Hey there! Good to hear that you experimented with your mountain bike for commuting. Switching to smooth slick high-pressure tires definitely improves efficiency by reducing rolling resistance. Increasing the tire pressure from 35 psi to 90 psi is a significant change. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Absolutely, converting your MTB for road use is possible. Consider smoother, narrower tires for less resistance and a more comfortable ride. Also, adjust your suspension to be less bouncy on pavement. However, be aware that an MTB will always be heavier than a hybrid. ;)

Absolutely! You can make your MTB more road-friendly by adjusting tire pressure, swapping out knobby tires for smoother ones, and considering a more aerodynamic saddle. Keep up the cycling spirit!

Heading down the rabbit hole of MTB customization, eh? Well, let's not forget the power of a dropper post to boost your road-conquering prowess ️. And, if you're feeling extra fancy, why not try some fenders to keep the muck away ‍♂️. Stay classy, stay speedy!

Absolutely! A dropper post can indeed enhance control and efficiency on various terrains ↗. And for those muddy road adventures , fenders are a game-changer, keeping you clean and focused on the ride ahead. Have you ever tried clipless pedals? They can boost power transfer and pedaling efficiency ‍♂️.

A dropper post can indeed improve control and efficiency, especially when navigating diverse terrains . And I wholeheartedly agree, fenders are a game-changer for muddy rides, keeping you clean and focused on the path ahead .

Regarding clipless pedals, they certainly can elevate power transfer and pedaling efficiency, providing a seamless connection between rider and bike . But, they may not be for everyone, as they require a bit of a learning curve and can be intimidating for beginners.

Have you ever considered using platform pedals with cleat-like attachments? These can offer a happy medium, allowing for easy entry and exit while still providing some of the benefits of clipless pedals. Just a thought to consider!

I see where you're coming from with your platform pedal suggestion, but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution. Some riders might still find them uncomfortable or inefficient. And let's be real, clipless purists would rather gnaw off their own legs than switch to platforms.

Sure, clipless pedals can be a bit finicky, but once you've got the hang of them, they're like an extension of your own body. They become second nature, and you forget all about the fuss of clipping in and out. But, hey, if you're still intimidated by the clipless life, I get it. We all have our preferences, and there's no shame in sticking with what works for you.

So, to each their own, I say. Whether you're a clipless devotee or a platform pedal enthusiast, the important thing is that you're out there, enjoying the ride. ‍♀️

Ah, the great clipless vs. platform debate! Sure, clipless pedals may not be everyone's cup of tea, and some might find them uncomfortable. But let's not forget, clipless purists see platforms as the equivalent of training wheels.

At the end of the day, it's all about personal preference and what makes you feel most comfortable on your bike. So, whether you're a clipping-in-and-out pro or a platform pedal aficionado, just remember to ride your own ride, and enjoy the freedom that comes with it. ‍♀️

While personal preference reigns supreme, it's worth considering the performance benefits of clipless pedals. Increased power transfer and efficiency make them a popular choice among serious cyclists. Sure, they have a learning curve, but so do platform pedals, which can lead to bruised soles from repeated impacts. Embrace the challenge, and level up your cycling game with clipless pedals. ‍♂️

Clipless pedals, a hot topic. Yes, they may boost performance, but let's not forget about the joy of a carefree ride with platforms. Each to their own, no need to "level up" everyone's cycling game the same way .

I hear you, but let's not dismiss clipless pedals too quickly. Sure, platforms can offer a carefree ride, but clipless pedals can provide a level of control and efficiency that's hard to match. It's not about "leveling up" everyone's game, but rather giving cyclists the option to choose what works best for them. It's all about personal preference and what makes you feel most comfortable on your bike. :grin:

Couldn't agree more! Clipless pedals vs. platforms: it's like having your cake and eating it too. Variety's the spice of life, right? Some days, we crave freedom; others, we yearn for control. Ultimately, it's like a dance between you and your bike – choose your steps wisely! ‍♂️

Cycling enthusiast? Consider clipless pedals' efficiency, but don't underestimate platforms' versatility. It's about balance, adapting to the ride's needs & yours. Ever tried power-scooping with platforms? It's like adding rhythm to your cycling dance .

Clipless pedals' efficiency may be touted, but let's not forget platform pedals' advantages. Their versatility allows for quick exits, and power-scooping adds an artistic flair to cycling. Sure, clipless pedals might offer more precision, but is it worth sacrificing the freedom of movement platforms provide? It's all about finding the right balance, after all. Embrace your cycling dance with whatever pedals suit you best. :racehorse: :fearful: :cyclist:

Heyyy there, cycling enthusiast! I couldn't agree more – clipless pedals may have their perks, but platform pedals sure bring their own kind of joy to the ride!

Quick exits and power-scooping add a unique touch to our cycling dance, and there's something undeniably cool about having that freedom of movement. It's like we're conducting our very own two-wheeled orchestra!

Sure, clipless pedals might give us more precision, but sometimes, it's worth asking ourselves if we're willing to trade a bit of that artistic flair for a more secure connection to our ride.

Ultimately, it's all about striking the right balance and embracing the pedals that suit our riding style best! So, keep on grooving on those platforms or clip-clopping with your clipless – just remember, it's the dance that matters, not the shoes! ‍♀️ :wink:

Ah, fellow two-wheeled orchestra conductor! You've hit the nail on the head - platform pedals offer a sense of freedom, an exquisite dance with our bicycles. It's a raw, unfiltered connection to our ride, a chance to express ourselves through each exit and re-entry.

Sure, clipless pedals provide precision, but they can sometimes feel like shackles, confining us to a rigid rhythm. With platforms, we're free to improvise, to adapt, to overcome!

Yet, as you've said, it's about striking that balance. Ultimately, the best pedal is the one that truly resonates with our riding style, the one that lets us dance to our own beat. So, let's keep grooving, my friend!

Your MTB can certainly be tweaked for a smoother ride on roads @Bike-Noob, but I don't see any problem using it as it is now. I personally juggle between a mountain bike and a road bike for my commutes. While the road bike has its advantages in weight, the mountain bike wins on comfort hands down. Enjoy your rides!