GPS (Cletus can you help?)

Mike

Guest
Magellan has come out with Direct Route( software package) which enables one to make routes on some
of their models. Does anyone know if the route has to be generated on a PC and then downloaded to
the gps OR is the route generated on the gps.

Thanks, Mike

Mike, try asking this newsgroup; alt.satellite.gps It's a very active group, if you're interesed in
gps's its a good one to join Happy Holiday Denny

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Magellan has come out with Direct Route( software package) which enables one to make routes on
> some of their models. Does anyone know if the route has to be generated on a PC and then
> downloaded to the gps OR is the route generated on the gps.
>
> Thanks, Mike

> Magellan has come out with Direct Route( software package) which enables one to make routes on
> some of their models. Does anyone know if the route has to be generated on a PC and then
> downloaded to the gps OR is the route generated on the gps.

I looked at the website when the product was first announced. I opted not to try it based in part
upon the following description: "Enter your destination and MapSend DirectRoute automatically
calculates shortest time street routing, giving you turn-by-turn directions that can be viewed on
your map screen or in a route list. Shortest time routing is based on the length of various street
path choices and the posted speed limits on these street paths."

I do not usually travel at the posted speed limits. There are some streets (freeways) where bicycles
are prohibited.

It appears that the route calculation takes place in GPS using the GOTO key and at least version 5
of the OS.

"Your Magellan GPS handheld receiver must be running version 5.0 Magellan receiver software or
higher in order to use MapSend DirectRoute..."

- Bellaire, TX USA -