Grrr...

"Tony W" <[email protected]> writes:

> My quack wanted me to have a 'health check' when I signed on with him. This proved fairly
> comprehensive -- including an ecg as I run high BP.
>
> Much to my surprise the nurse then put me on an excursive bike/dynamometer to test my 'fitness'.
> Now despite my telling her earlier that I cycled regularly she was very confused by the results --
> 'you can't be that fit' and checked the machine over to find the fault. ('That fit' required a
> level of excursion equivalent to about 12 mph on a flat road -- i.e. sustainable for hours!!)
>
> On my follow up with the quack he dismissed the results as clearly incorrect.
>
> So they have me down as an unfit, fat slob with raised BP but nothing odd on the ecg trace :(

A few years ago I had a nasty bout of viral encephalitis that hospitalised me for a few weeks.
The first night I was in I was wired up with heart monitors set to give an alarm if my heart rate
went outside some set limits. Unfortunately, the lower limit was 50 beats/minute, so every time I
went to sleep the klaxons went off, nurses rushed over and told me I must have moved the
electrodes. I kept telling them I was a regular cyclist, and my resting heart rate when asleep
was likely to be below 50.

After the alarms had gone off four times, they changed the settings on the machine.

--
Richard Stamper

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
>>My experience of this was a nurse I met in a hospital after I'd broken my arm in a bizarre
>>accident involving a unicycle, a pair of toeclips and a multistory car park. She had a form to
>>fill in to classify my accident for the statistics.
>

> LOL!!! Oh dear, I can picture the scene and the look on the nurse's face. There's a comedy sketch
> show in that one!!!

Maybe a series actually. The plot might prove to be beyond belief, though.

I learnt two things out of the experience.
1. Never, ever, whatever you do, ride a unicycle wearing toeclips.
2. If you do, don't do it in a multistory car park - the ambulance can't get under the max
headroom barrier!

Jim Price

al_Mossah wrote:
> Helen, well done for the weight loss. Your experience seems to confirm my view, namely that the
> NHS has little to offer people who fundamentally are fit.

Made me think they should perhaps be offering a refund to fit people...

> Eventually my physio suggested trapped nerves in the lower back, so I went back to GP for a
> referral. My logic was that a few hours of physio a year would save me bothering the GP with
> various ailments, thus leaving him time to deal with the really ill. The bottom line is that he
> can refer me, but I pay, as the NHS doesn't fund physiotherapy, chiropractors etc. Great service!

I've had several instances where an injury has left me incapable of doing the exercise I know I
need to do to keep fit, and on some of those occaisions I've had to use up some of the GPs time
with consequent illnesses (although no-one could prove they were a direct cause, I expect). This
seems to be getting worse as I get older. I'm sure that if they could patch me up after the
injuries for free, I'd probably use less of their other resources and maybe even save them some
money in the long run.

Looks like its cradle to grave, but only if we can fix it with advice, drugs and surgery. And I'm
getting worried about the grave bit.

Jim Price

>Congrats. How achieved apart from the cycling?

Thanks :)

Reduced calorie intake - weigh everything, keep a diary of what I eat. Basically low-fat diet. But I
allow myself a treat occasionally ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

>Seriously though, do you often get out of breath? ;)

:)

>Congrats in order though :)

Thanks - but still a lot of weight to shift :-(

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

I think that the group deserves more detail on this one- I'm particularly concerned that it might
happen to me. So please let us know:

Precise location of car-park Car park owner Level of car-park accident took place Type of
toe-clips Prevailing wind Whether you were wearing high-vis clothing Price per hour to park the
er.. unicycle

Armed with the answers to these questions, I'm sure that I won't suffer a similar fate.

Peter.

"Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
> > The nurse called me into her office ..
>
> My experience of this was a nurse I met in a hospital after I'd broken my arm in a bizarre
> accident involving a unicycle, a pair of toeclips and a multistory car park. She had a form to
> fill in to classify my accident for the statistics. She just could not cope with the idea that I'd
> managed to break my arm in a situation where there was no other traffic involved (which probably
> says a few things about what she normally has to put on these forms). She also could not
> understand the concept of a unicycle - presumably no box for it on the form, and she'd never been
> to a circus.
>
> > AAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!
>
> I managed that expression several weeks later when they took the plaster off and the break had not
> healed up.
>
> > After all, we fatties are slobs who never exercise as we have no self-control.... AAAAAGGGHHH!!!
>
> (Ooh, me arm) Challenge her to a bike race, I say.
>
> > Cheers, helen s (who has lost 15.65lbs in four weeks)
>
> Now thats impressive! Well done. Surely the doctor must be impressed?
>
> Jim Price (Fatblokeonabike)

> Unfortunately, the lower limit was 50 beats/minute, so every time I went
> sleep the klaxons went off, nurses rushed over and told me I must have
moved
> the electrodes. I kept telling them I was a regular cyclist, and my
resting
> heart rate when asleep was likely to be below 50.

So, not just me then?

al_Mossah wrote:
> I think that the group deserves more detail on this one- I'm particularly concerned that it might
> happen to me. So please let us know:
>
> Precise location of car-park Car park owner Level of car-park accident took place Type of
> toe-clips Prevailing wind Whether you were wearing high-vis clothing Price per hour to park
> the er.. unicycle

Sound like you're either[1] a policeman, from Claims Direct, or are planning to back up a rather
preposterous claim to your own insurance company by quoting an even more unbelievable one!

That sounds like paranoia, so here's a few more details: The accident happened on the basement floor
(ground minus 2 or 3) of Peggy Middleton House underground multistory in Woowich, which I believe
was council owned at the time. Look plastic platform one side clip t'other toeclips. No wind
(student diet!). No Hi-vis clothing, just cycling shorts and a T shirt with the letters of the
village I grew up in re-arranged in a square. You can't park a unicycle, or get me with trick
questions - you can only really abandon it. Sometimes faster than others.

> Armed with the answers to these questions, I'm sure that I won't suffer a similar fate.

I hope that doesn't mean you are going to try.

It was 16 years ago.

Jim Price
[1] This is the new "multi-function either"(tm) which allows more than two alternatives without
needing an "or", currently undergoing street trials.

In article <[email protected]>, al_Mossah
<[email protected]> wrote:
> The bottom line is that he can refer me, but I pay, as the NHS doesn't fund physiotherapy,
> chiropractors etc.

On the bicycle island physio is NHS and I normally get treated within a week of my visit to
the doctor.

> Great service!

Same practice different ailment. I had an X ray for an arthritic hip less than 48 hours after seeing
the doctor - replacement in October/November. Our NHS service is excellent.

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

On Fri, 6 Jun, al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think that the group deserves more detail on this one- I'm particularly concerned that it might
> happen to me. So please let us know:
>
> Precise location of car-park Car park owner Level of car-park accident took place Type of
> toe-clips Prevailing wind Whether you were wearing high-vis clothing Price per hour to park
> the er.. unicycle

Helmet - you forgot to ask why he wasn't wearing a helmet (which would have prevented all sorts of
misfortune)

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Jim Price wrote:
> 1. Never, ever, whatever you do, ride a unicycle wearing toeclips.

Leo White actually used to race wearing toeclips (but no straps). ISTR seeing several Germans racing
similarly equipped.

I fully intend to try riding a unicycle with SPD's one day. But it'll be on grass and I'll be
wearing wristguards. It'll also have to be at a unicycle convention, so that if I don't hurt myself
there'll be plenty of other idiots encouraged to keep at it until somebody does :)

Thomas Paine

Ian Smith wrote:
> Helmet - you forgot to ask why he wasn't wearing a helmet (which would have prevented all sorts of
> misfortune)

I didn't say whether I was or wasn't wearing a helmet. Neither did I say anything about shoes or
socks. If I hadn't been wearing shoes, the accident couldn't have happened!

Jim Price

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Jim Price wrote:
>
>>1. Never, ever, whatever you do, ride a unicycle wearing toeclips.
>

> Leo White actually used to race wearing toeclips (but no straps). ISTR seeing several Germans
> racing similarly equipped.
>
> I fully intend to try riding a unicycle with SPD's one day. But it'll be on grass and I'll be
> wearing wristguards. It'll also have to be at a unicycle convention, so that if I don't hurt
> myself there'll be plenty of other idiots encouraged to keep at it until somebody does :)

What I can remember of the experience was that wheel control was significantly improved, and I could
climb steeper hills with the toeclips. However, the problem came about after I carried on having fun
until I got tired.

DON'T read any more of this paragraph if you're squeamish. I hope for your sake the ground is not
hard when you try this, as in my estimation wristguards would not have stopped the upper halves of
my ulnar and radius from going straight through my wrists. Also, I should point out that I am
remembering this as the time immediately before I lost three days to the ammount of morphine they
slooshed through my veins in the hospital.

Well, best of British, but I stand by my advice (easier now my knees have healed).

Jim Price

On 06 Jun 2003 09:03:04 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Nurse - " You look out of breath. Do you often get out of breath?"

Don't worry about it. Paula looked a bit puffed after she smashed the world marathon record too!

Well done on the weight loss. Keep it up¬¬down!

--
Dave...

>Don't worry about it. Paula looked a bit puffed after she smashed the world marathon record too!

I like that. If the nurse asks me again I'll just tell her if it's good enough for Ms Radcliffe to
be out of breath, it's good enough for me ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On 06 Jun 2003 09:03:04 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>In the quest to get from fatbirdonabike to slightlypodgybirdonabike, I go to the doc's once a
>fortnight to get weighed by the nurse - all as agreed with the doc.

SNIP just for the hell of it - artistic licence etc ;-)

>Me - "No - only if I push myself really hard ..."
>
>AAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!

To posh to push?

James
PS You just keep on a'trundlin', Helen.
PP Push 'n Vern? A famous couple.

>To posh to push?

Oh no - I remember every single one - it's why I've only one offspring ;-)

>James
> PS You just keep on a'trundlin', Helen.

Will do ;-)

>PPS Push 'n Vern? A famous couple.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
> I like that. If the nurse asks me again I'll just tell her if it's good enough for Ms Radcliffe to
> be out of breath, it's good enough for me ;-)

I thought of your weight loss and fitness gain this afternoon, Helen.

I rode into Bath with Catherine, Jenny in the trailer, and a couple of a neighbour's kids on their
bikes. During a stop on the way back we saw an obese woman taking a rest before continuing her ride
along the cyclepath.

Where once I might just have thought "What a lardbucket", instead I thought of you and then thought
"Good for her."

(We saw a tandem recumbent trike on the way in as well, which was nice).

Thomas Paine

Danny Colyer wrote:
> During a stop on the way back we saw an obese woman taking a rest before continuing her ride along
> the cyclepath.

> Where once I might just have thought "What a lardbucket", instead I thought of you and then
> thought "Good for her."

You have no idea of how womens minds work, have you Danny?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK