Handlebar Bag for Photo Equipment

izirraider

Jul 27, 2003
Hello,

I'm a photographer and I am starting to tour on my bike. I need a safe and handy way to store my photo equipment on my bike and I figured a handlebar bag would be a good solution. Does anyone know of handlebar bags (or any other kind) that are specific for photo equipment with padding and dividers? ANy ideas suggestions and experiences are welcome. THanks!

ste

Originally posted by izirraider
Hello,

I'm a photographer and I am starting to tour on my bike. I need a safe and handy way to store my photo equipment on my bike and I figured a handlebar bag would be a good solution. Does anyone know of handlebar bags (or any other kind) that are specific for photo equipment with padding and dividers? ANy ideas suggestions and experiences are welcome. THanks!

ste
I think that a padded bicycle messenger bag may be better, due to the shock absorption provided through your body.
You might also consider a "camelbak" or other back-pack; for the same reason.
I've used standard handlebar bags, trunk rack bags, and panniers to carry photo equipment, but each time the equipment was housed in it's own protective enclosures.

Thanks for your reply.
I've been using a lowepro backpack to carry my equipment around on one or two day rides, but I'm planning a longer tour and it would get very uncomfortable to have to always be carrying a bag on my body.
I guess I'll try to get a bag custom made somewhere.

I think that camera equipment (real stuff) might be a bit heavy for most handlebar bags. I know that mine (Topeak 10l) got a bit bent out of shape when the load got a bit heavy.

What about a custom bag that sits on your rear rack?

Check out the Ortlieb Handlebar bag with special camera inserts for single camera and lens. The Ortlieb Trunk bag with self-made custom foam inserts is waterproof and works well but your camera equipment will really take a beating from the rear vibration.

I have to agree with Tomas, I love Ortlieb quality and their handlebar bag keeps your camera equipment safe from dust and rain. I prefer the handlebar bag because I have easy access to my camera and I can keep an eye on it plus I carry it around when not on the bike.

If you have a Container Store in your area - check out their great selection of professional photography box foam I found them a little cheaper than our local photography stores.

You might also think about getting an actual camera/photo bag of the right size and cannibalizing the mounting hardware from a cannondale or whatever. Plastic bags ready to put around all of the equipment inside would also be a really good idea. Our skins are waterproof but none of those bags ever really are.
www.todmoore.net

All depends on the amount of kit you want to take.
I usually take a small canon iXus and put in the Ortlieb bar bag (5L) along with maps, tubes etc. More than enough room. Ortlieb really are unbeatable. The attachment system is a bit fiddly, but once it's on - that's it. 100% waterproof and very easy accessed, even whilst riding. Check their web site for camera padding, but if your camera is smmall and in a well padded case, that's all you'll need.

www.belfastandbeyond.com

Has anyone tried an Ibera handlebar bag? looks well padded and sturdy, but I'd like to checkout some opinions before purchasing. bikepakmart.com/ib-hb3.html