Home drink/gel recipes??

Absent Husband

Guest
Hi all,

Googled this, but no cigar...

Saw a big bag of maltodextrin in the supermarket last week, and my mind
started wondering: can I save bucketloads of $$$ by making my own
sports-drink/Gu???

I don't tend to drink sports-drink - mainly because I operate on a
tight budget and can't afford it (school fees, uniforms,
blah-de-blah-de-blah). So - does anyone have a recipe (using exact
quantities) to make, say, 1 litre of sports/electrolyte mix using
water, maltodextrin, and whatever??

As for home-made gu/gel... I have been using good ole' jelly snakes,
freebie gu samples, and my fellow riders generosity (thanks Tam!). Is
it worth trying to make my own - or maybe making a strong version of
the above recipe for the 2nd drink bottle on longer rides?? Or just
stick to the snakes if I'm gonna be a skinflint cheapie *******??

Hey - this would be a PERFECT segment for "Tastes of Le Tour"!! My wife
knows when the Tour coverage has started because she can hear me
yelling "Fsck of you Gate *******!!" from the other end of the
house...!!

For the record - I also have three cartons (yes, cartons) of the
Snickers Marathon choc/peanut butter bars that I got for 30 cents EACH
(per bar) when Crazy Clarks were having a sale. Woohoo!! Just gotta do
enough rides between now and next March before they run out of date...

Thanks in advance,
Absent Husband

Absent Husband said:
My wife knows when the Tour coverage has started because she can hear me yelling "Fsck of you Gate *******!!" from the other end of the
house...!!

RAFLMAO :D

F"partial to snickers"Dutch

I hear fertiliser and diesel provide an awesome energy burst. Maybe give it a try?

LotteBum

P.S. That's me in my new avatar.

Sauerkraut and bacon flavoured goo! mmmmm

Tastes of Le Tour for sure

Jimbo

Absent Husband wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Googled this, but no cigar...
>
> Saw a big bag of maltodextrin in the supermarket last week, and my mind
> started wondering: can I save bucketloads of $$$ by making my own
> sports-drink/Gu???
>
> I don't tend to drink sports-drink - mainly because I operate on a
> tight budget and can't afford it (school fees, uniforms,
> blah-de-blah-de-blah). So - does anyone have a recipe (using exact
> quantities) to make, say, 1 litre of sports/electrolyte mix using
> water, maltodextrin, and whatever??
>
> As for home-made gu/gel... I have been using good ole' jelly snakes,
> freebie gu samples, and my fellow riders generosity (thanks Tam!). Is
> it worth trying to make my own - or maybe making a strong version of
> the above recipe for the 2nd drink bottle on longer rides?? Or just
> stick to the snakes if I'm gonna be a skinflint cheapie *******??
>
> Hey - this would be a PERFECT segment for "Tastes of Le Tour"!! My wife
> knows when the Tour coverage has started because she can hear me
> yelling "Fsck of you Gate *******!!" from the other end of the
> house...!!
>
> For the record - I also have three cartons (yes, cartons) of the
> Snickers Marathon choc/peanut butter bars that I got for 30 cents EACH
> (per bar) when Crazy Clarks were having a sale. Woohoo!! Just gotta do
> enough rides between now and next March before they run out of date...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Absent Husband

I came across this one, never tried it so cannot offer any opinion

http://www.exile.org/gu/gu.html

Marathon bars at $0.30, what a bargain! I have relegated myself
el-cheapo museli bars, had 5 on a 3.5hour cold & windy ride yesterday,
while I was dreaming for one of those thermos bidons full of hot drink.

jh

Absent Husband said:
[...]

This can be found on www.coolrunning.com.au, I believe it was taken from another source, IronmanOz, it is one suggested recipe, never got around to trying it myself, just laziness, keep picking up the 10 packs, be interested to know how you go though if you do get around to making some.

GU+ recipe

You need
- Polyjoule or Polycose powder (aka Maltodextrin) (found at your local chemist, mine is ChemMart)
- Gastrolyte sachets (ChemMart again)
- Red cordial (Cottee's works for me, choose your own flavour)
- water
- mixing bowl
- fork/whisk to mix it
- squeeze tube (or similar) for the gel

Mix about 1.5 cups of polycose/polyjoule, 1 sachet of gastrolyte, and lastly add a generous amount of red cordial (enough to turn the powder into a gel, maybe 1/2 to 1 cup). Mix the ingredients for a minute of so. Depending on the consistency of the gel required, add small amount of water (no more than 1/2 cup) to get a 'runnier' gel.

Gu+ will probably be cloudy when freshly whisked. Importantly, let the gel settle overnight in the fridge in the bowl (with glad wrap over the top) to allow the polycose/polyjoule to dissolve fully. It will turn from a cloudy liquid to a more transparent red consistency.

Decant into squeezy tube before use.

JH wrote:
> Absent Husband wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Googled this, but no cigar...
>>
>> Saw a big bag of maltodextrin in the supermarket last week, and my mind
>> started wondering: can I save bucketloads of $$$ by making my own
>> sports-drink/Gu???
>>
>> snip

Found another: http://www.alpinedave.com/make_gu.html

I like "Gin (optional..." and the idea of "Bailey's Irish cream GU, and
Grand Marnier GU" maybe for an after ride fix only.

jh

Absent Husband said:
[...]

6-7 % carb. I'd suggest maltodextrin and some simple sugars.
One way of doing this would be to, dilute orange juice 1-1, the Oz orange juice seems to be around 8% carbs, then add 30 grams md per liter of fluid, and you have 7 % carb fluid. You might wanna add pinch of salt too. I find that sportsdrinks that are high in simple sugars are too sweet to drink when you are really pushing it, maltodextrin keeps it much more drinkable.
Not sure how water with maltodextrin in it tastes? Maybe very drinkable. Anyway, you get something that is as good as the ready mixed stuff you buy. Not many powders would offer more than that either I think.

On 10 Jul 2005 21:30:03 -0700, "Absent Husband"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Googled this, but no cigar...
>
>Saw a big bag of maltodextrin in the supermarket last week, and my mind
>started wondering: can I save bucketloads of $$$ by making my own
>sports-drink/Gu???
>
>I don't tend to drink sports-drink - mainly because I operate on a
>tight budget and can't afford it (school fees, uniforms,
>blah-de-blah-de-blah). So - does anyone have a recipe (using exact
>quantities) to make, say, 1 litre of sports/electrolyte mix using
>water, maltodextrin, and whatever??
>
>As for home-made gu/gel... I have been using good ole' jelly snakes,
>freebie gu samples, and my fellow riders generosity (thanks Tam!). Is
>it worth trying to make my own - or maybe making a strong version of
>the above recipe for the 2nd drink bottle on longer rides?? Or just
>stick to the snakes if I'm gonna be a skinflint cheapie *******??

Snakes are good, and I also use c4p which is made up from
staminade power (unfortunatly not glucose anymore :-/) and
protein powder as follows :

http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=c4p

It's not a gel, but I find that it's a better idea to mix sugar
with water anyway, or you can't digest it. You could make it
really thick if you wanted to though ... I don't know if it
works out cheaper or more expensive than
buying sugars and mixing them yourself and all the
other goodies ... but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than
buying spankerade from a servo en-route!

"Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Googled this, but no cigar...
>
> Saw a big bag of maltodextrin in the supermarket last week, and my mind
> started wondering: can I save bucketloads of $$$ by making my own
> sports-drink/Gu???
>
> I don't tend to drink sports-drink - mainly because I operate on a
> tight budget and can't afford it (school fees, uniforms,
> blah-de-blah-de-blah). So - does anyone have a recipe (using exact
> quantities) to make, say, 1 litre of sports/electrolyte mix using
> water, maltodextrin, and whatever??
>
> As for home-made gu/gel... I have been using good ole' jelly snakes,
> freebie gu samples, and my fellow riders generosity (thanks Tam!). Is
> it worth trying to make my own - or maybe making a strong version of
> the above recipe for the 2nd drink bottle on longer rides?? Or just
> stick to the snakes if I'm gonna be a skinflint cheapie *******??
>
> Hey - this would be a PERFECT segment for "Tastes of Le Tour"!! My wife
> knows when the Tour coverage has started because she can hear me
> yelling "Fsck of you Gate *******!!" from the other end of the
> house...!!
>
> For the record - I also have three cartons (yes, cartons) of the
> Snickers Marathon choc/peanut butter bars that I got for 30 cents EACH
> (per bar) when Crazy Clarks were having a sale. Woohoo!! Just gotta do
> enough rides between now and next March before they run out of date...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Absent Husband

Try these:

http://www.cptips.com/gelown.htm
http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/article.php?ID=422&category=web_only

Energy Bars:

http://www.bushbeans.com/recipes/showRecipes.jsp?RecipeID=239&pg=rslt&srch=quick
(it even has a delicious picture)
http://www.bicyclesource.com/body/nutrition/energy-bars/
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/aa062403a.htm

Absent Husband wrote:
<snip>
> As for home-made gu/gel... I have been using good ole' jelly snakes,
> freebie gu samples, and my fellow riders generosity (thanks Tam!). Is
> it worth trying to make my own - or maybe making a strong version of
> the above recipe for the 2nd drink bottle on longer rides?? Or just
> stick to the snakes if I'm gonna be a skinflint cheapie *******??

<snip>
> Thanks in advance,
> Absent Husband

AB and Adrian have a recipe and before each ultra they make a huge
batch. Wanna join the party?

Tam

"AB and Adrian have a recipe and before each ultra they make a huge
batch. Wanna join the party? "

<snip>

Oh yeah!!

Unless it ends up with me unable to remember what happened, waking up
with a ring of crusty sweet stuff around my mouth, a buzzing sugar
hangover, maltodextrin & raspberry flavouring stains all over me, and a
feeling of being slightly dirty and violated somehow.....

Absent Husband (working toooo hard...)

Carl Brewer <[email protected]> wrote:
> staminade power (unfortunatly not glucose anymore :-/) and

No? When did that start? I have a bottle here of Staminade Sport Lemon
and Lime (bought a couple of weeks ago) and it says 17.5g per serve of
carbos, of which 17.5g is glucose.

--
..dt
1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)

Absent Husband wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Googled this, but no cigar...
>
> Saw a big bag of maltodextrin in the supermarket last week, and my mind
> started wondering: can I save bucketloads of $$$ by making my own
> sports-drink/Gu???
>
> I don't tend to drink sports-drink - mainly because I operate on a
> tight budget and can't afford it (school fees, uniforms,
> blah-de-blah-de-blah). So - does anyone have a recipe (using exact
> quantities) to make, say, 1 litre of sports/electrolyte mix using
> water, maltodextrin, and whatever??
>
> As for home-made gu/gel... I have been using good ole' jelly snakes,
> freebie gu samples, and my fellow riders generosity (thanks Tam!). Is
> it worth trying to make my own - or maybe making a strong version of
> the above recipe for the 2nd drink bottle on longer rides?? Or just
> stick to the snakes if I'm gonna be a skinflint cheapie *******??
>
> Hey - this would be a PERFECT segment for "Tastes of Le Tour"!! My wife
> knows when the Tour coverage has started because she can hear me
> yelling "Fsck of you Gate *******!!" from the other end of the
> house...!!
>
> For the record - I also have three cartons (yes, cartons) of the
> Snickers Marathon choc/peanut butter bars that I got for 30 cents EACH
> (per bar) when Crazy Clarks were having a sale. Woohoo!! Just gotta do
> enough rides between now and next March before they run out of date...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Absent Husband

I've been experimenting with maltodextrin for a while. I mix one cup
(250ml) of maltodextrin to a litre of water, add a tiny bit of citric
acid to give it a sports drink taste.
The amount you mix in looks huge compared to normal sports drinks
because your body is able to absorb much more carbo than sugar. (About
2.5 times more). Too much sugar upsets the osmosis in your tummy and so
the more you drink the less you absorb. Don't take any sugary stuff with
the maltodextrin or you won't absorb much at all. If you want salt then
you should consume those endurotabs or whatever they're called.

Marty

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Absent Husband wrote:

> "AB and Adrian have a recipe and before each ultra they make a huge
> batch. Wanna join the party? "
>
> <snip>
>
> Oh yeah!!
>
> Unless it ends up with me unable to remember what happened, waking up
> with a ring of crusty sweet stuff around my mouth, a buzzing sugar
> hangover, maltodextrin & raspberry flavouring stains all over me, and a
> feeling of being slightly dirty and violated somehow.....
>
> Absent Husband (working toooo hard...)

Dude, that is so wrong, for so many reasons. I won't tell them you said
that, they thought you were a nice guy.

Tam

*bit concerned*

Hmmm - is this one of those times when I think I'm being really funny,
but I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the mark?? :S

Must remember not to trust my sense of humour late in the afternoon
when I'm busy...

Abby

If it wasn't for the fact that you and I aren't talking, I'd say it was f*cking hilarious. But we're not talking.

LotteBum

Absent Husband wrote:

> *bit concerned*
>
> Hmmm - is this one of those times when I think I'm being really funny,
> but I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the mark?? :S
>
> Must remember not to trust my sense of humour late in the afternoon
> when I'm busy...
>
> Abby

Don't use "sugar" and "violated" in the same sentence :p

Tam

LotteBum wrote:

> If it wasn't for the fact that you and I aren't talking, I'd say it was
> f*cking hilarious. But we're not talking.
>
> LotteBum

Are we back in high school? You can pass messages through me.

Tam

Tam, can you tell Lotte that I'm gonna kick her butt baaaaaad on
Saturday at Murarrie...

This intimidating, silent treatment is working a treat!! Of course, it
could all come undone on Sat when I confront Lotte on the start line...
And she is looking at me, with a weird smile on her face... Stroking
her shotty... And loading a cartridge...

Abby (still trying to get over the 'sausage down a hallway' comment 24
hours later...)