How do you avoid getting too sweaty

Dame6089

Jun 6, 2016
I have always been interested in biking to work, but my biggest fear is getting to work and being drenched in sweat. I have a higher propensity of sweating. Even with being ion decent shape, I will sweat profusely from just walking. Is there any gear that you wear to help stay cool or catch the sweat? Or is it as simple as bringing a change of clothes? I am open to ideas!

I am quite a sweating person too.

I usually just bring a new shirt or undershirt and use some baby wipes to clean myself after a morning commuting to work. It can be hard when you are just starting your shift but you are already smelly and sweaty.

When sweating I suggest not to clean it immediately since it is meant to regulate your body temperature and you'll end up sweating even more. You can keep a handkerchief midly drenched with cool water, in order to moist some parts of your body when sweat shows up. Wear light clothes.

Also, I suggest to bring spare clothes with you to change it for the sweaty ones, thus you don't have to arrive ur workplace smelling like a camel.

Wear thin clothing. Pee before you leave. Drink less water. Keep yourself cool and moist (don't dry yourself if you start sweating a little).

My tips:

1. Wash your body every day. Just body, including the intimate places. It's important.
2. Find yourself a suitable deodorant.
3. Avoid wearing clothes that make you super sweaty
4. Wear the stuff that's congruent to the timely weather

I think the amount of sweating is biological. I have this problem of sweaty hands since I was in grade school. So many doctors have been consulted but to no avail. One doctor even suggested a surgery to repair (or block) the sweat glands of my hands. Another said that the sweating is caused by tension.

But with body sweating, old folks say that it is a good sign that you are healthy. When you exert physical effort like playing basketball and you don't sweat, that means there's something wrong with your body. So body sweating can be considered normal. Now, with that excessive sweating, I guess you just have to bring a kit that contains an extra shirt so you can change your wet clothes.

No, No, No! You're thinking about it all wrong! Don't be afraid of sweat. Sweat is your friend! Let the people at work talk if they want to. You'll be the healthiest one there, and outwork and outlive them all.

Tell them you want to have a sweat contest, and the person who arrives at work with the sweatiest shirt is the winner. Then every day, you will be a winner.

I see this as a positive thing. Sweat rules, baby!

Reactions: Troy S.
I would also say that you shouldn't try to avoid getting sweaty. Embrace the sweat! Ok, not really, but don't worry about it at all - when you're on your bike, it won't matter, and when you get to work you can always clean up. Generally, I carry a pack of baby wipes in my bag, some antiperspirant and maybe perfume or a body spray. Some dry tissues are useful for wiping off the immediate moisture, spare clothes (including underwear).

Sweating is important and if you sweat more than you think is normal, I guess that means you just need it more. It helps to regulate your body temperature, which is really important, especially when you're exercising.

When I cycled to work, I always had a change of clothing that I could change into so I didn't really have that problem.

There isn't really a lot you can do other than just try and make sure that you wash and use deodorant but that's something that I'm sure most of us would do anyway.

Wear thin clothing. Pee before you leave. Drink less water. Keep yourself cool and moist (don't dry yourself if you start sweating a little).
Drinking less fluids before you ride is not only bad advice health wise, but it won't stop you from sweating or reduce it any. Neither will urinating before you leave. Best thing to do is pack a spare shirt and bring a means to do some clean up if need be.

Drinking less fluids before you ride is not only bad advice health wise, but it won't stop you from sweating or reduce it any. Neither will urinating before you leave. Best thing to do is pack a spare shirt and bring a means to do some clean up if need be.
I am speaking from a biological stand point. I never said it was a healthier decision, I am just stating things that he can do. Pick and choose if he likes. Sweating is one of the processes of osmoregulation under the body's homeostasis system. Urine is also another process. The more balanced your body's concentration is, lessens the chance of it needing constantly be osmoregulating. If his wish is to reduce sweating then it can only be done by adjusting his lifestyle one way or another.

I am speaking from a biological stand point. I never said it was a healthier decision, I am just stating things that he can do. Pick and choose if he likes. Sweating is one of the processes of osmoregulation under the body's homeostasis system. Urine is also another process. The more balanced your body's concentration is, lessens the chance of it needing constantly be osmoregulating. If his wish is to reduce sweating then it can only be done by adjusting his lifestyle one way or another.

Urinating will not stop or even reduce sweating. Neither will avoiding liquid intake prior to a ride. It doesn't work in the way you describe.

I sweat like there's no tomorrow when I ride, which is why I only ride when I don't have to be anywhere afterwards so I can come home and immediately bathe. I wear light clothes that are breathable and also try to stick with lighter colors, as we all know black will absorb the sun and retain heat. I like to keep a gel cool pack with me and put it on my lower back under my tank top so it stays in place. This helps keep me a little cooler. I enjoy the sweat though. I feel it's a symbol of hard work. :)

Sweating when doing any form of physical exercise is only natural and it's your bodies way of trying to keep itself cool. People saying that they should stop drinking water as a way to stop sweating clearly have no idea what they're talking about, and not only that, you could be puttting your health at risk by doing what they're saying.

Reactions: Jcycle
This might sound like a silly tip, but maximize your time in the shade. Always be aware which side the shade pockets are on, where you're going and which way the sun is facing, etc. You can do so much just from managing how and where you're riding or walking :)

Reactions: Jcycle
I've heard of some clothes that prevent sweat stains. You could try those if they are available in your area.Also I've seen some deodorants that prevent sweating and they don't stain your shirt. You can try those two methods,or take an alternative clothes swap.

I've heard of some clothes that prevent sweat stains. You could try those if they are available in your area.Also I've seen some deodorants that prevent sweating and they don't stain your shirt. You can try those two methods,or take an alternative clothes swap.
Deodorants don't prevent sweating. You are thinking of antiperspirants. They aren't always the same thing, though often they will be combined. Even so an antiperspirant wont prevent sweating, but it may reduce it.

How effective antiperspirant is depends on the individual product. Cheap antiperspirants aren't very effective or often cause me to get a rash or soreness. Some expensive ones aren't much better. You have to try and few different ones out before you find the one that works for you. For me, I use a sensitive antiperspirant which means it isn't as effective, but doesn't cause me any irritation. I don't mind as, like I said, I take wipes and such to clean up before I start work anyway. You just have to leave five minutes earlier. Sweating is going to happen, and it's good for you.

How effective antiperspirant is depends on the individual product. Cheap antiperspirants aren't very effective or often cause me to get a rash or soreness. Some expensive ones aren't much better. You have to try and few different ones out before you find the one that works for you. For me, I use a sensitive antiperspirant which means it isn't as effective, but doesn't cause me any irritation. I don't mind as, like I said, I take wipes and such to clean up before I start work anyway. You just have to leave five minutes earlier. Sweating is going to happen, and it's good for you.

Price isn't the issue. Research the ingredients and what they do. Read labels, and select the best product for you.

If your going to cycle or commit to any form of physical activity, especially in the summer, then you're going to sweat and there's not a lot you can do about it.

You might be able to limit the amount you sweat by the clothes you wear or by staying in the shade as much as possible like others have said. You might even be able to make sure you don't smell by using deodorant but all that does is mask it. You'll still sweat, it just won't be as noticeable.