how to convert

yaman g

Jan 1, 2013
i have an older trek 1200 and a bianchi both with down tube shifters, I would like to convert one or both to STI or some sort of handle bar shifter, primarily brake lever shifters. any ideas

Is the Trek equipped with shimaNO RX-100 7-speed components? If so, those were similar to the 105 level components and you might find some compatibility in upgrading to older 105 brake/shift levers and cables.

I'm no shimaNO expert, but IIRC RX and Sora both were available in 7-speed and 8-speed configurations.

You will need to purchase cables stops/adjuster barrels to replace your downtube shift levers. There are clamp-on types and those that bolt onto existing shifter bosses.

The price is a little high IMO, but eBay is a source for parts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-RSX-ST-A410-7-SPEED-DOUBLE-TRIPLE-STI-SHIFTERS-/281027234877?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416e874c3d

Originally Posted by yaman g .

i have an older trek 1200 and a bianchi both with down tube shifters, I would like to convert one or both to STI or some sort of handle bar shifter, primarily brake lever shifters. any ideas
FWIW. IMO, presuming that both of your bikes have Shimano derailleurs, the easiest (as in 'least expensive') way to convert an older bike which has downtube shifters (and, presumably, a 7-speed or 8-speed drivetrain) is to simply buy a pair of 10-speed CAMPAGNOLO Shifters + cable stops (which will be mounted in place of the existing down tube shifters) + cables & housing, install, adjust indexing, and you're done!

BTW. A new, SunRace 7-speed/8-speed Freewheel [readily available on eBay] will have [COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]ramped cogs [/COLOR]and so may improve shifting ... but, the shifting will be 'okay' with an older Freewheel & is therefore not necessary.