Hushovd to BMC Racing

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Interesting but not wholly unexpected...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd-moves-to-bmc-racing-team-in-2012

World champion signs for three years

World road champion Thor Hushovd has signed with BMC Racing Team for 2012, the team announced today in a press release. After spending one season with Garmin-Cervelo, the 33-year-old Norwegian has signed a three-year contract with BMC.

Hushovd recently had a very successful Tour de France, in which he won two stages and wore the leader's jersey for seven days. The two-time Tour de France points classification winner is looking forward to joining the American ProTeam.

"It's a serious team where it looks like everything is well-organized," Hushovd said. "There's a plan put together for the riders for all the big and important races. Everyone knows what to do. That's a good thing."

Good move, I think.

He also said Paris - Roubaix is his main goal...Like many times before.
He should ride to win then, not others to loose.

BMC is growing, but does this mean Gilbert isn't available?

oddly enough, it tells hincapie that his p-r aspirations have to end. that being said, having hincapie and hushovd on the front with support from evans should make a strong hand for that race.

I think Big George has one more year and then he can write his memoirs. "Me and Lance" a story of passion.

Interesting Vaughters sees more of a future of success with either Farrar or Haussler than with Hushovd.

Originally Posted by Rodimus .

why would anyone leave a superstar team like Garmin?

i think he was having contract issues earlier in the year, not being paid enough i think

Originally Posted by finnrambo .

i think he was having contract issues earlier in the year, not being paid enough i think
I also remember reading about some tension between him and team management relating to salary's. He'd be on good money at BMC, probably 1.5m euros at a guess.

Originally Posted by finnrambo .

add haussler and that team will be perfect for the classics

They could also do with a couple more men for the high mountains /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by steve .

They could also do with a couple more men for the high mountains /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
That's why they've signed Thor.
...They've noticed him at this year's Tour /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif.

Originally Posted by pennstater .

There appears to be one BMC rider who isn't thrilled with the Hushovd signing.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd-not-to-participate-in-2012-tour-de-france
I'm not sure why Evans reacted that way.

Hushovd can't take any riders from Evans. Giving support to Green jersey over Yellow is absurd... It's absurd even to discuss it. Moreover, Hushovd got used to winning by himself (without help).
On the other hand, having such strong and experience rider on flat and rolling terrain should be huge advantage, not disadvantage.

Evans is Tour champion, but not the brightest one.

Evans really needs to get lifted up off his feet by way of someone's foot.
Incredible.
At least you can play diplomatic in the press - he's obviously too self-absorbed to even do that.

Originally Posted by Andrija .

I'm not sure why Evans reacted that way.

Hushovd can't take any riders from Evans. Giving support to Green jersey over Yellow is absurd... It's absurd even to discuss it. Moreover, Hushovd got used to winning by himself (without help).
On the other hand, having such strong and experience rider on flat and rolling terrain should be huge advantage, not disadvantage.

Evans is Tour champion, but not the brightest one.
Evans reacted that way because modern Tours require a full team dedicated to their team leader.

As for his classics and other one day races, what has he won in 12 years other than two big races - the Worlds in 2010 and Gent Wevelgem about 5 years ago? One race every ~6 years. Do we have to wait until 2016 'till he wins Roubaix? ;)

I think Evans is the only one who doubts he'll have support of entire team.

Although chances are slim (especially after Hushovd signing), I'd love to see Gilbert in BMC.
... Just to hear Cadel.

I think Evans is right, although coming out with it like that in the press doesn't look like the best PR strategy to me.

It would have been better if the team director had said it, although I can't see leaving someone of that ability out of the Tour.

remember that all the gilbert talk is contingent on his contract being bought out. omega-pharma-lotto-and-others-to-be-named-later seem intent on having him around in '12.

evans' reaction is, as swampy pointed out, understandable, given his experiences on a team that tried to sit on two stools during his younger years. one wonders if he'd have taken a title had lotto decided to select/hire teammates dedicated to his g.t. ambitions against schlecks/sastre/saxo a few years ago, if a bit impolitic concerning hushovd.