Hybrid Performance vs. Trek vs. ??? - 45yo buying his first bike in 25 years and seeking advice

jch67

Dec 27, 2012
I'm a 45yo, out of shape (not horribly) male who is buying his first bike in 25 or so years. I've narrowed it down to a Hybrid bike as I can't imagine myself lasting very long in a road bike riding position. I'm buying the bike for fitness primarily and to have something I can keep up with my 5yo girl as she gets to be a better cyclist.

I've been researching and have narrowed my choices down to 2 manufacturers (I think) Trek and Specialized. However, I am open to suggestions of other manufacturers.

I've narrowed it down to these two for several reasons but mainly because they are locally available; in fact, the only reason Specialized is on the list is my LBS who is .5 miles away carries Specialized. I'd have to go a bit farther for a Trek dealer.

I'm looking at the CrossTrail from Specialized and the Trek FX2.0 or 8.3 DS.

Any suggestions, comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

And again, although I've made some preliminary decisions, I have not made anything final. So if you think I should be in a different type of bike, manufacturer or model please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

the Crosstrail is nice, i would buy it configured with disc brakes, size and fit is very important so it is good that you can buy it in the bike shop, you might want a longer stem maybe, im not a fan of siting upright position, the longer stem will make your position a bit more aerodynamic and cyclist like,