Hydration pack for road cycling

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Kovie:

>> I'm getting kind of tired of explaining/defending my reasons for
>> wanting a hydration pack-

> One feature of hydraton packs that nobody seems to have mentioned:
> the cushion effect.
>
> You wind up landing flat on your back on lumpy ground and, if the
> thing is anywhere near full, it's nice to have a little something
> between you and the lumps.
>
> Haven't been there yet....but it sounds logical...

I've experienced that on mtb rides -- even saw a guy "blow up" his 'bak
bladder once by landing flat on it (pretty funny once established no
paralysis :) ) -- but hopefully it's a moot benefit for a road rider.
(Unlikely crash scenario and all that.)

Bill "live and let hydrate" S.

--
PeteCresswell

Quoting Vee <[email protected]>:
>Robin Hubert wrote:
>>Do you mean to say that you cannot find water every hour or so? For
>>how long are your rides?

>Reread his initial post. He wants to carry a bunch of stuff in
>addition to water, and he doesn't want a rack. That's why this "carry
>it on the bike" talk is pointless.

Unless there was some sort of device that hung off the saddle without a
rack. We could call it a "saddle-bag".
Today is First Tuesday, Presuary.

Kovie wrote:
> I'm getting kind of tired of explaining/defending my reasons for wanting a
> hydration pack--although I'm beginning to suspect that some if not most of
> the "why on earth would a roadie want a hydration pack" responses I've been
> getting are of the troll, snark and "I love to spew forth my philisophy of
> riding, life and all things me"--but here goes, one (hopefully) last time.

Admittedly, the "MULE" was just too much of a setup to resist, but if
you were to conduct a poll, a majority of experienced road cyclists
would not go regularly on their longest bike rides wearing a backpack
(nor do I think they would use a camelbak).

I think we all understand your reasons for wanting a backpack; however,
explaining them over and over again is not going to convince me or most
other cyclists that they are right. Backpacks have been around for a
long time, even longer than bicycles (by a couple hundred thousand
years, probably), but at some point it became apparent that they are
not the best way to carry stuff when alternatives are available. So
human beings got pack animals and panniers and saddlebags. (You don't
see horsemen and women with backpacks, either.)

> HOWEVER, there will be times when I will either be commuting fairly short
> distances and need to haul spare clothes and a few other items,

Not even mentioned in your OP. A backpack might be reasonable for a
short occasional commute. Ironically, a Camelbak seems like a lot of
hassle for a short commute.

> or going out
> for a ride, but want to take a light book, or camera, or a sandwich, or a
> shell or fleece jersey if it might rain or cool down later on, etc. Since I
> don't plan on doing either on a regular basis, I don't see the need to fit a
> rack and panniers on my bike, and think a light, compact backpack is the
> answer for MY needs, not the needs of others in this ng.

It is an answer, but not the best answer; however, if that's what you
want to use, just say that's what you're going to do. The problem comes
when you try to convince me that you have chosen the best solution. As
someone else pointed out, a rack and panniers are not the only way to
hitch occasional luggage to a bicycle.

> Now, it doesn't
> necessarily have to be a hydration pack, but if I'm getting a pack, it might
> as well be a hydration pack, since they're not that much more expensive, I
> like the idea of being able to drink hands-free, and I can always use it for
> non-cycling activities such as hiking or trekking around town (which, of
> course, a rack and panniers would be useless for).
>
> I might, of course, find that carrying water and stuff on my bike takes away
> from the pleasure of riding. But given the MANY road cyclists I see out here
> riding with packs, I suspect for occasional use, I'll be ok with it.

Maybe you should ask them how far they are riding. The majority of
people who do regular (not the same as frequent) long rides with gear
don't use backpacks. The funny thing here is that you are talking about
making an investment in new equipment; I would expect that people who
use backpacks _generally_ are using what they already have to get the
job done.

> It
> might violate purists' notion of what road cycling is all about,

This has nothing to do with purism, it has to do with pragmatism. My
personal experience is that backpacks on long bike rides are
uncomfortable, hot, and contribute to general fatigue.

I don't know where you live or how you got the idea that "most" people who
ride on the road do not use hydration packs. That's not my experience here
in North Texas. I can count on one hand the roadies who use only water
bottles in the summer. One guy I saw last week carries 4 water bottles! But,
everybody else uses hydration packs.

What do we do? We get used to it, of course. We're only talking about 7
pounds--and that weight gets lighter the more we ride. We wait until the
autumn and then use the water bottles and feel great that there is nothing
on our backs. It gives us something to look forward to. When it is windy, as
it usually is here, hydration packs make drinking water a lot easier because
we don't have to take our hands off of the handlebars. We don't care what
"professional riders" think of us. It's &^%$ hot in Texas in the summer!

Pat in TX

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kovie wrote:
>> I'm getting kind of tired of explaining/defending my reasons for wanting
>> hydration pack--although I'm beginning to suspect that some if not most
>> of
>> the "why on earth would a roadie want a hydration pack" responses I've
>> been
>> getting are of the troll, snark and "I love to spew forth my philisophy
>> of
>> riding, life and all things me"--but here goes, one (hopefully) last
>> time.

> Admittedly, the "MULE" was just too much of a setup to resist, but if
> you were to conduct a poll, a majority of experienced road cyclists
> would not go regularly on their longest bike rides wearing a backpack
> (nor do I think they would use a camelbak).

Here you go again, positing a hypothetical conjecture and then, figuring
that because you assume it that it's therefore true, concluding that we have
a QED. Such blatantly faulty reasoning isn't likely to win you many
converts. Either conduct said poll and come back with the results (and it
better be comprehensive or else it's going to be literally worse than
useless), or stop wasting everyone's time with this nonsense. Anecdotal
"evidence" and personal opinion does not constitute a meaningful poll. If
you had limited your reasoning to something along the lines of "in my
experience", "where I live" or "from what I and my friends have
seen"..."road cyclists very rarely use hydration packs", then I might have
taken you more seriously. But by speaking so definitively and
authoritatively, you're just setting yourself up for embarrassment. And for
what it's worth, here in not so hot and not so sunny Seattle, I see an awful
lot of road cyclists wearing backpacks of all sizes and varieties, hydration
and not. But perhaps they don't qualify as "real" roadies in your book?

> I think we all understand your reasons for wanting a backpack; however,
> explaining them over and over again is not going to convince me or most
> other cyclists that they are right.

I agree, I'm wasting my time explaining what I thought I made pretty clear
the first time.

> Backpacks have been around for a
> long time, even longer than bicycles (by a couple hundred thousand
> years, probably)

Proof? Evidence? Examples? I honestly hope you're not a trial lawyer, for
your clients' sake, or a historian, for your readers' and students' sake.

> but at some point it became apparent that they are
> not the best way to carry stuff when alternatives are available. So
> human beings got pack animals and panniers and saddlebags.

Really, when was that? I suppose the millions of backpack users out there
are living in denial. They should all throw them out and get burros and
llamas.

> (You don't see horsemen and women with backpacks, either.)

Wtf are you talking about?!?

>> HOWEVER, there will be times when I will either be commuting fairly short
>> distances and need to haul spare clothes and a few other items,

> Not even mentioned in your OP.

I didn't realize I was making a legal brief or defending my thesis here.
Next time I make a post, I'll be sure to supply footnotes and references.
And btw, I was pretty clear in both the OP and followup posts what I wanted
to use a pack for.

> A backpack might be reasonable for a short occasional commute.

Glad you approve. What happened to my dromedary?

> Ironically, a Camelbak seems like a lot of hassle for a short commute.

If you say so.

>> or going out
>> for a ride, but want to take a light book, or camera, or a sandwich, or a
>> shell or fleece jersey if it might rain or cool down later on, etc. Since
>> don't plan on doing either on a regular basis, I don't see the need to
>> fit a
>> rack and panniers on my bike, and think a light, compact backpack is the
>> answer for MY needs, not the needs of others in this ng.

> It is an answer, but not the best answer; however, if that's what you
> want to use, just say that's what you're going to do.

"Best" is a matter of opinion, except, I suppose, in your view of reality.
And I thought I did make this perfectly clear.

> The problem comes
> when you try to convince me that you have chosen the best solution. As
> someone else pointed out, a rack and panniers are not the only way to
> hitch occasional luggage to a bicycle.

When and how have I tried to convince you that my solution was the "best"
one, for me or anyone else? I was simply trying to indicate that it was, for
now, my preferred solution--for me, not anyone else. You really do need to
read a good book on basic logic. Didn't you take geometry in high school?
Helps understand how bikes work, btw.

>> Now, it doesn't
>> necessarily have to be a hydration pack, but if I'm getting a pack, it
>> might
>> as well be a hydration pack, since they're not that much more expensive,
>> like the idea of being able to drink hands-free, and I can always use it
>> for
>> non-cycling activities such as hiking or trekking around town (which, of
>> course, a rack and panniers would be useless for).
>>
>> I might, of course, find that carrying water and stuff on my bike takes
>> away
>> from the pleasure of riding. But given the MANY road cyclists I see out
>> here
>> riding with packs, I suspect for occasional use, I'll be ok with it.

> Maybe you should ask them how far they are riding. The majority of
> people who do regular (not the same as frequent) long rides with gear
> don't use backpacks. The funny thing here is that you are talking about
> making an investment in new equipment; I would expect that people who
> use backpacks _generally_ are using what they already have to get the
> job done.

Again with conjecture posing as fact. Seriously, you really do need to learn
how to reason.

>> It might violate purists' notion of what road cycling is all about,

> This has nothing to do with purism, it has to do with pragmatism. My
> personal experience is that backpacks on long bike rides are
> uncomfortable, hot, and contribute to general fatigue.

If you limited your responses to something along these lines, then we could
have saved all this silly back and forth bickering over nothing (of which
I'll readily admit I've been fool enough to engage in).

Incidentally, you might want to apply for a job with the Bush
administration. They're always looking for people who are good at mangling
basic logic. I hear they even have reserved spots for employee llamas.

--
Kovie
[email protected]zen

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I don't know where you live or how you got the idea that "most" people who
> ride on the road do not use hydration packs. That's not my experience here
> in North Texas. I can count on one hand the roadies who use only water
> bottles in the summer. One guy I saw last week carries 4 water bottles!
> But,
> everybody else uses hydration packs.
>
> What do we do? We get used to it, of course. We're only talking about 7
> pounds--and that weight gets lighter the more we ride. We wait until the
> autumn and then use the water bottles and feel great that there is nothing
> on our backs. It gives us something to look forward to. When it is windy,
> as
> it usually is here, hydration packs make drinking water a lot easier
> because
> we don't have to take our hands off of the handlebars. We don't care what
> "professional riders" think of us. It's &^%$ hot in Texas in the summer!
>
> Pat in TX

I suspect he lives in an alternate universe, as his reasoning is pretty out
of this world. But I think an earlier poster had it right--he's basically
trolling.

--
Kovie
[email protected]zen

Bill Sornson wrote:
> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>
> > You wind up landing flat on your back on lumpy ground and, if the
> > thing is anywhere near full, it's nice to have a little something
> > between you and the lumps.
> >

> I've experienced that on mtb rides -- even saw a guy "blow up" his 'bak
> bladder once by landing flat on it (pretty funny once established no
> paralysis :) ) -- but hopefully it's a moot benefit for a road rider.
> (Unlikely crash scenario and all that.)

You don't even have to land on it. I blew out my first camelbak on a
jump landing, and I landed on both wheels. The water blew out the
bottom of the bladder and I got 70 ounces down the crack of my a$$.
Thought I'd sh*t my pants for a second until I figured it out.

dkl

[email protected] wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>>
>>> You wind up landing flat on your back on lumpy ground and, if the
>>> thing is anywhere near full, it's nice to have a little something
>>> between you and the lumps.
>>>

>> I've experienced that on mtb rides -- even saw a guy "blow up" his
>> 'bak bladder once by landing flat on it (pretty funny once
>> established no paralysis :) ) -- but hopefully it's a moot benefit
>> for a road rider. (Unlikely crash scenario and all that.)

> You don't even have to land on it. I blew out my first camelbak on a
> jump landing, and I landed on both wheels. The water blew out the
> bottom of the bladder and I got 70 ounces down the crack of my a$$.
> Thought I'd sh*t my pants for a second until I figured it out.

Nice! :-D

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kovie wrote:
>> This just in. Yet another reason for ROADIES to use hydration packs:
>>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/27/AR2005062701517.html

> Here we go. (Re. esp. last line in piece.)
>
> <eg>

Given that he's thinking of running for president, one has to wonder about
his judgement. ;-) Then again, Bush hasn't exactly had a stellar record
staying on his mountain bike (which, perhaps, proves my point). Perhaps
helmet and hydration pack makers need to get together and come out with a
bike hydration helmet pack? It would even keep you cool in summer! But I
digress...

--
Kovie
[email protected]zen

dkl> I think most commuters use backpacks. No need for a hydration
dkl> pak on a commute although I use one by hydrapak anyway because
dkl> that brand has models which ride an inch or two off your back
dkl> so you stay dry. Haven't put water in the bladder yet and
dkl> probably never will.

That depends entirely on the commute and the climate. I assure you that
on a 20 mile each way commute in 40 degree heat hydration is essential.

For the record I use panniers but that's because my daily luggage weighs
in at 15 kilos.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Kovie <[email protected]>:
> >This just in. Yet another reason for ROADIES to use hydration packs:
> >http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/27/AR2005062701517.html

> Sounds more like a reason to learn how to use the brakes, or to drop a
> water bottle in an emergency...

Or pay some minimal attention to the road ahead. It's not like the
railroad tracks are moving. My interpretation of this incident is that
he was drinking and not paying attention, suddenly sees an obstruction,
stabs the front brake and is unable to brace himself with one arm. The
fact mentioned in the news article, that he only used the front brake,
is completely beside the point.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> David Damerell wrote:
> > Quoting Kovie <[email protected]>:
> > >This just in. Yet another reason for ROADIES to use

hydration packs:

>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/27/

AR2005062701517.html

> > Sounds more like a reason to learn how to use the brakes, or

to drop a
> > water bottle in an emergency...

> Or pay some minimal attention to the road ahead. It's not like

the
> railroad tracks are moving. My interpretation of this incident

is that
> he was drinking and not paying attention, suddenly sees an

obstruction,
> stabs the front brake and is unable to brace himself with one

arm. The
> fact mentioned in the news article, that he only used the front

brake,
> is completely beside the point.

I want something that holds food near my mouth -- like one of
those harmonica holders. Maybe there is a "Camel Mouth." It
seems that the new crop of jerseys have pockets that are cut so
high, you have to be double jointed to get your food out. You
could not only fall on train tracks, you could get hit by the
train before you got your food out. -- Jay Beattie.

Jay Beattie wrote:

> I want something that holds food near my mouth -- like one of
> those harmonica holders. Maybe there is a "Camel Mouth." It
> seems that the new crop of jerseys have pockets that are cut so
> high, you have to be double jointed to get your food out. You
> could not only fall on train tracks, you could get hit by the
> train before you got your food out. -- Jay Beattie.

I used to have a small bag with two metal clips on it that were
designed to clip onto your waistband. I bent the clips at an angle so
that I could clip them onto my handlebars. The bag was small enough to
be completely out of the way when holding the bars, but all I had to do
was reach over and grab a fig newton or something whenever I felt like
it. Unfortunately, it wore out and I've never been able to find a
replacement, although there are some top tube-handlebar stem bags that
might do the same job.

Per [email protected]:
>The bag was small enough to
>be completely out of the way when holding the bars, but all I had to do
>was reach over and grab a fig newton or something whenever I felt like
>it. Unfortunately, it wore out and I've never been able to find a
>replacement,

I got something called a "Bento Box". Works well for me.

Saw them at the Performance LBS couple days ago. Can't find 'em on their
website though.

REI has them at $16: http://www.rei.com/product/47919280.htm

I think I paid about $9 for mine at (Nashbar?)
--
PeteCresswell