Hydraulic road brakes

Owboduz

Jun 25, 2013
I see a few companies are offering hydraulic rim brakes for road bikes now. Is there any real benefit?

I could see hydraulic brakes being beneficial in terms of multiple control points. You could connect a manifold into the brake line and have a secondary brake lever on a set of aero bars, for example.

I can't really see any other arguments for hydraulics, so are these just hype, or am I missing something?

No cable stretch. Less need for adjustment. Better mechanical advantage (potential for lower hand effort or less lever travel). Slightly better modulation due to less flex in the system.

All pretty minor benefits.

Down sides are: costs, leak potential (from annoyance up to catastrophic brake failure), and complexity (need to bleed and service fluid)

At this point in time I think the cons cancel out the pros and the whole thing is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Plus, the world is now focused on the newest, most awesomest solution to another problem that doesn't exist: disc brakes. That means hydraulic rim brakes never had a chance and will fall by the wayside quickly as dics brakes take over.

AyeYo said:
Plus, the world is now focused on the newest, most awesomest solution to another problem that doesn't exist: disc brakes.  That means hydraulic rim brakes never had a chance and will fall by the wayside quickly as dics brakes take over.
I doubt discs will take over in the road world. They just don't make sense. They're less damage resistant, less aerodynamic, heavier, require heavy reinforced forks, don't work with radially laced rims, and have to be adjusted every time you reseat a wheel. I just can't see that working in the road cycling world. Discs make sense for mtb and cyclocross; anywhere there's a strong chance of getting contaminants onto the rims. I don't know if I would go as far as to say the problem doesn't exist. Like I said, a manifold would allow multiple brake levers connected to one brake. And, there are the benefits you listed. At least one manufacturer has realised that using hydraulics means that they can change away from the traditional shape of dual pivot brakes, which seems like it might lead to some innovation.

Quote by Owboduz:
"Is there any real benefit?"

It becomes much easier to set your carbon clinchers on fire and get Levi to finally issue an Official Edict Of Safety And Conformity that actually does ban carbon clinchers from his Gran Fondo?

The only advantage I can see is to the bottom line of the manufacturer of such a device. I see a new boat in his future.

Of course, I've failed to discover a cable actuated rim brake that did not adequately to stop my bicycles or was impossible to 'modulate'. I think the jump will be to disc brakes...because...that's what cars and motorcycles have, yo.

OP, have you been reading bike radar lately? As predicted, almost all new models are being offered with discs. I have yet to see a hydraulic rim offering.

Here's yet another new one that's not only disc, but MTB rear end spacing and through-axles.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/saracen-avro-2015-first-look-41728/

Originally Posted by AyeYo
OP, have you been reading bike radar lately? As predicted, almost all new models are being offered with discs. I have yet to see a hydraulic rim offering.

Here's yet another new one that's not only disc, but MTB rear end spacing and through-axles.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/saracen-avro-2015-first-look-41728/
Apparently, I was mistaken. You're right, there seems to be movement afoot towards discs. Many pros do not seem enthusiastic, however.

I'm not really sure why they would be, for the reasons stated above. In addition, in the pro circuit, there's the danger of hot rotors in a crash situation. The one tangible benefit I have heard is that a disc brake could allow later braking going into curves, which is advantageous in race situations.

None of these issues are showstoppers for disc brakes; they are, however, opportunities for brake, rim, and frame manufacturers to differentiate themselves in a nearly homogeneous market by fixing one or more of the problems with weight, aerodynamics, or wheel and frame construction.

I have experienced a drop in braking power when riding in the rain with rim brakes. That didn't mean I couldn't stop, just that it took a lot more effort to do so. At a critical moment, that could be dangerous.

I suspect that the single largest group to benefit from a move to disc brakes in road cycling will be road commuters, who ride with traffic in adverse conditions, on very puncture-resistant tires (thus fewer wheel removals). Having disc brakes in those circumstances could very well make for a safer ride.

Absolutely agree. That's why they should be kept to commuter bikes and hybrids. I see no place for them on race and touring road bikes, but this is the year of the disc and from now on we will have them whether we want them or not. Once the issues start surfacing and people start complaining, manufacturers will be forced to come out with a new fad item to address the issues - lighter, more aero, stronger, simpler, cheaper, easier wheel removal, safer in a crash, no worries of boiled fluid, allows for lighter wheels and frames, the all new, totally innovative must-have item of the 2016 racing season... RIM BRAKES!

In some of the wet stages in this year's TDF, there were several crashes during the rain that were caused by diminished braking at a critical moment. I wonder if disc brakes would have improved those situations?

Originally Posted by Colnago62

In some of the wet stages in this year's TDF, there were several crashes during the rain that were caused by diminished braking at a critical moment. I wonder if disc brakes would have improved those situations?
I'd attribute the crashes on wet roads to lack of tire grip, not lack of braking. On one stage, the roads were apparently slippery enough to cause riders going through roundabouts at speed to crash, without seeming to even touch the brakes. Based on what I saw (or think I saw) on the wet stages so far, would conclude that stickier tires are needed, not stronger brakes.