Introduction.... and any recommendations?

RyanKuhne

Jun 12, 2012
Been riding for a little more than a year, and I should hit 1000 miles by July. Bought a second hand Specialized Langster from a local bike shop. SS is great, but I'm finding myself limited to shorter, mostly solo rides (<30 miles). I'm ready to change to a geared road bike, but I'd like some recommendations from fellow Clydedales on your bike choices..

Looking for things like durability, quality on par or better than my Langster, but still affordable.

Specs: 6' 2" 245 lbs.

Thanks!

As a clydesdale I believe you need to have top quality cranks and rear derailleurs. Your drivetrain is your best friend. Def stay away from a full carbon frame(unless you can afford a custom made). Also stick to a 18 or 20 speed, if you are already riding ss you don't need the granny gears.
Looks like you are looking at less than $1000? You may be better off buying used but I have to say bikesdirect (mailorder) has some really good deals on bikes, you can get a really good deal on a bike for under a grand. I cannot vouch for them but the specs and prices on their bikes are def amazing.
Anyone out there bought from them? I was about to try them until I found a great deal on a used Cyclocross.

What does top quality imply? I assume that top quality translates to top dollar and light weight.

There are no special considerations for a clydesdale for cranks and derailleurs. The derailleur itself does not take the additional stress of a larger rider. Entry level drivetrain components are very similar in strength and durability to the top dollar bretheren. I built a Tri bike using nashbar (microshift) branded derailleurs - they work great.

There is no reason to stick to a double chainring setup either. Depending on terrain, as a larger rider you may benefit from having lower gearing. Having a few extra teeth in the back sprocket and maybe a few less on the front chainrings. You may be interested in either a triple or compact double crankset.

Wheels and tires are probably the most common clyde-specific equipment areas for concern. These components are, however, easily upgradeable. Generally, more spokes and a good build quality will result in a stronger wheel. You can get away with riding on 23c tires, but will probably be happier with at least a 25c in the rear.