Is road cycling dangerous?

While 55 U.N. recognized nations drive on the left, including both Japan and the upside-down country known as Australia....I take your point. England is not part of the developed world...er...wait!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_left-hand_traffic

I remember landing at Heathrow, picking up my touring bike after a taxi ride (God bless the old Austin FX3 or whatever English piece of **** it was) to the bike shop that built it for me and saying a prayer before heading out into that retarded bass ackwards traffic. I was never so glad to see a coastline and jump a boat to a civilized nation. Even if that nation was France.

It's not REALLY dangerous. You are using the road, there's risks, but so are if you're using a car. You just need to be careful, follow the rules and you'll be fine.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...omicide-in-hit-skip-crash-that-killed-cyclist

Woman charged with vehicular homicide in hit-skip crash that killed cyclist

MEDINA, Ohio - A woman is now facing charges for a hit-skip crash that killed a cyclist in Medina last November.

Police say Tiffany Carter struck John Zavisza as he was riding his bike on Marks Road at Yellowstone Drive and then fled the scene.

Carter turned herself in later that day.

Zavisza died a week later.

The investigation continued and the case was turned over to the Medina County Prosecutor's Office.

Carter was indicted by a grand jury for failure to stop after a motor vehicle accident and vehicular homicide.

She will appear in court Feb. 22.

It is every subjective to the place where you live. If you live in a overcrowded city like New York then there is no way you can use cycles without risking getting hit. People driving are usually in a hurry so they are not kind to road cyclists who are very slow. But if you have a cycling lane and are using the necessary protective gear like helmets then I think it can be pretty safe.

30 year old hit and killed yesterday on a road that I have trained on and is very near to my location.

Joshua Barnhart, 30, killed in bicycle collision with driver Anthony Jones, 44, on Boyd’s Creek Highway at Misty Breeze Lane in Sevier County, Tennessee

http://accidentdatacenter.com/us/te...ony-jones-44-boyds-creek-highway-misty-breeze

img_1948.jpeg

http://wate.com/2016/02/19/pedestrian-hit-by-car-killed-in-sevier-county/

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – A bicyclist is dead after being hit by a car in Sevier County.

The accident was reported just after 5 p.m. on Boyd’s Creek Highway at Misty Breeze Lane. Tennessee Highway Patrol says Joshua Barnhart, 30, was riding his bike southbound when he was hit from behind by a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage driven by Anthony Jones, 44.

Barnhart was killed in the crash. Charges are pending against Jones, who was not injured.

That is the one. I will follow up of any more details develop. I hear he was a commuter as opposed to a fitness cyclist. That is a dangerous road.

Commuter...racer...tourist...recreational rider...fitness freak...we're all at risk.

Most cyclist that I know avoid this stretch of road. The speed limit is 45 but in reality the average is 65. Curvy with no shoulder. It is the scene of several fatalities a year , mostly car wrecks. Too many side road and entrances with no turn lanes.

From the picture it also appears the road has either no berm or a very small one.

Almost all of our riding roads are narrow and have no shoulder or only a marginal bail-out zone. Often our roads have those moronic edge grooves designed to wake up sleepy or texting drivers that practically negate having a useable berm! We also have lots of blind curves and plenty of vision-limiting hills.

Speed limits range from 25-35 MPH to unmarked (55 MPH by Ohio law UOS). Despite the various posted speed limits, Ohio drivers OFTEN exceed them.

While some roads really are more dangerous than others and should be avoided, almost every road I was on during yesterday's ride had some idiot drivers pass me too closely, going too fast, dangerously (blind approach on a hill) putting potential oncoming traffic at risk, etc. I was riding solo yesterday and taking no extra risks with my line.

Yeah. One of my favorite fun activities is sticking my hand into a wood chipper.

Driver accused in double-fatal bicycle crash pleads not guilty
Posted: Sep 30, 2015 7:46 AM EDT
Posted by Cleveland 19 Digital Team
Connect
http://www.cleveland19.com/story/30149506/driver-accused-in-double-fatal-bicycle-crash-araigned

Timothy J. Wolf (Source: Brecksville Police Dept.)

BRECKSVILLE, OH (WOIO) -
A man accused of hitting and killing two bicyclists with his car did not appear in Garfield Heights Municipal Court Wednesday but entered a plea through his lawyer.

Timothy J. Wolf, 42, Brecksville, pleaded not guilty to two counts of vehicular homicide and one count of willful wanton disregard of public safety.

Five people riding bicycles were struck, two killed, when Wolf hit them with his pickup truck on September 17, police said.

The accident happened in Brecksville at the intersection of Snowville and Dewey roads.

33-year-old Matthew Billings of North Canton died at the scene. 52-year-old James Lambert died September 24.

Three other cyclists, Catherine Hilston of Cuyahoga Falls, William Kotich of Solon, and Brian Kincaid of Stow, were treated and released from MetroHealth Medical Center.

Police are still investigating. Wolf's next court date is set for November 16.

Hello,
Its not so dangerous. Its dangers for new cyclist for only hilly area.

These four cyclists probably have over a million miles between them. I know them.

One of the riders is a bike safety advocate in the truest sense. He is still in critical care since the crash over a week ago.

The road was completely flat where the driver mowed them down.

She was on parole or probation for a felony drug conviction. She mowed down 4 riders and she was not even given a drug test. Hello.

Read the comments. Motorists think we are to blame when they run us over.

I am not sure where you are from. I'd like to bicycle there.

http://abc11.com/news/woman-who-hit-4-cyclists-charged/1218302/

Reactions: sonipat
It happened Saturday in the Angier area on Massengill Pond Road.

I think I know what the driver is...

Prayers for a speedy recovery for the riders. Who, among us that rode last weekend, did not have someone pull a sketchy pass? We had several in the 3 hours we were on the road.