Is this bike dodgy?

Simon Mason

Guest
I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this, but it
seems a bit dodgy. Why would anyone build this, ride it for 300 miles
then get rid of it?

http://qurl.net/65
--
Simon M.

On 30 Oct 2004 06:57:15 -0700, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this,

Dunno. I note there's a nearly-new trice Q in London on ebay. It's
'only' about 300 pounds cheaper than list, but you wouldn't have the
wait, I suppose.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

> I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this, but it
> seems a bit dodgy. Why would anyone build this, ride it for 300 miles
> then get rid of it?
>
> http://qurl.net/65

Mmm, another zero feedback seller. However it isn't just another catalogue
printout.

But he hasn't listed the most important thing about it!

cheers,
clive

On 30 Oct 2004 06:57:15 -0700, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

>I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this, but it
>seems a bit dodgy. Why would anyone build this, ride it for 300 miles
>then get rid of it?

Impossible to say for sure, but it certainly at least looks risky.
High value item, offered on a short 5 day listing, with shipping
offered to several countries and by a newly reg'd seller with zero
feedback.

Looks bad to me.

Email him and ask how he'll accept payment, his reply should be
enlightening.

Either way, given that the likely sale price will be considerable and
this guy has no ebay track record, I'd only bid if it could be
established the bike was close enough to collect in person. See it,
check it, hand over the cash.
--

"Bob"

'The revolution is just a T shirt away'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

says...
> > I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this, but it
> > seems a bit dodgy.

Yes it does.

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:09:08 +0100, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mmm, another zero feedback seller. However it isn't just another catalogue
>printout.

Doesn't mean a lot, the pictures could very easily be taken from
another ebay sale, from anywhere in the world.
--

Clive George wrote:
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this, but it
>>seems a bit dodgy. Why would anyone build this, ride it for 300 miles
>>then get rid of it?
>>
>>http://qurl.net/65

> Mmm, another zero feedback seller. However it isn't just another catalogue
> printout.
>
> But he hasn't listed the most important thing about it!
>
> cheers,
> clive

Yep spotted this yesterday. It may be genuine but there is enough odd
about it to stop me bidding.

Stan Cox

Simon Mason vaguely muttered something like ...
> I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this, but it
> seems a bit dodgy. Why would anyone build this, ride it for 300 miles
> then get rid of it?
>
> http://qurl.net/65

I think it looks dodgy ...

I'd ask to view it first, as it's a lot of money [1] and you want to be sure
about it. Also check what payment methods he prefers, suggesting that you
would want to collect and pay cash. The reply, if any, should be
illuminating.

Having said that, it could easily be some mad millionaire who wants to build
excellent bikes and flog 'em cheap .. ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 06:57:15 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

> I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this, but it
> seems a bit dodgy. Why would anyone build this, ride it for 300 miles
> then get rid of it?
>
> http://qurl.net/65

Definite scam.
I asked the seller about cost of postage to Holland and he replied that it
was included in the price. Scams are usually free postage.

He also uses a Yahoo email account and AOL. All scammers use these tactics
because it's difficult to locate the IP address of an AOL account, without
asking AOL.

--
Mike

On 30 Oct 2004 06:57:15 -0700, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

>Why would anyone build this, ride it for 300 miles
>then get rid of it?

people do crazy things.

But when a new ebay seller then lists it as "private auction", then
the scam-o-meter does raise its eyebrow. I'd buy it, but _ONLY_ for
cash on collection.

Simon Mason wrote:
> I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this, but it
> seems a bit dodgy. Why would anyone build this, ride it for 300 miles
> then get rid of it?
>
> http://qurl.net/65

Steer clear of it. Seller doesn't even say which part of the UK he is in.
If you decide to go through with it and you win, please arrange to do the
deal in person and learn as much as you can about the seller.

Simon Mason wrote:
> I was toying with the idea with putting in a bid for this, but it
> seems a bit dodgy. Why would anyone build this, ride it for 300 miles
> then get rid of it?
>
> http://qurl.net/65

Looks sus. In any case, I wouldn't buy a £60 item from a seller with zero
feedback let alone a £600 one.

~PB

mb <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Definite scam.
> I asked the seller about cost of postage to Holland and he replied that it
> was included in the price. Scams are usually free postage.
>
> He also uses a Yahoo email account and AOL. All scammers use these tactics
> because it's difficult to locate the IP address of an AOL account, without
> asking AOL.

Thanks for that - I won't touch it. I've seen some auctions in the
past where the scammers have been identified and their auction trashed
by people called e.g. "thisisascam2004" who have put in bids of 5
million quid to ruin the sale.

--
Simon M.