"Israel must be wiped out" What gives?

Don Shipp said:
You may not believe in God yourself, but you can't ignore the fact that other people do and for some it is their only motivation.

If I genuinely believed that were the case I would be packing them into paddy wagons by the thousand.

Don Shipp said:
If some Christian came knocking at your door or sat next to you on a train to tell you about God, would you say "You know he doesn't exist. You are just trying to annoy me and using your made-up faith in a made-up God as an excuse"?

LOL, no. OTOH if they killed someone next to me on the basis that God told them to and refused to admit any personal responsibility I would make 100% sure that they were permanently removed from society.

I believe that concepts such as God are cultural in origin, and therefore if that particular maniac was not given a bunch of texts to read and a fancy building to practice rituals in, they would not have a concept of "God". Therefore they would not be able to pin the blame for their actions on God.

In essence, those folks would have *zero* justification if they were never ever told about "God" in the first place.

FredC said:
And just what do you do when the climb is only two miles long? OMG I don't write about cycling anymore. I'm having a nightmare.
Only two miles long :eek: Distances like that require a motorized bike, powered possibly by ethanol; maybe w/ some kind of pneumatic actuation device as some dispenser's are known to contain, no :confused: ;)

darkboong said:
If I genuinely believed that were the case I would be packing them into paddy wagons by the thousand.
So, you are an ardent supporter of the war against terrorism. Glad thats settled :confused: You are being disingenuous or your ideology is of the pick and choose variety. Otherwise you would condone the summary jailing of 1000's upon 1000's of christians not to mention muslims. That or one of your children got access to you're forum password and is posting diametrically opposed views to the one's you have espoused in the past. So which is it DB :confused:

If the chain flies off and gets tangled up, this can be very dangerous for the cyclist. I have had so many troubles with this that I never switch without looking at the chainrings and am ready to stop pedaling instantly.
This morning my chain shot off again and I wasn't happy as I was cycling back from work at 6.00 a.m. So, my hands got covered in oil.
I now recall which screw I need to stop it happening, though. But I suspect I may do well to buy a new front derailleur as this seems to be a constant pain in the proverbial. For me gears are a constant and ongoing problem.

davidmc said:
True, my method is: hammer down then, while I have that momentum, I downshift a couple of gears. This, after my initial downshift before beginning my ascent. Tension is minimized by doing this. I used to commute, thats why I posess this technique, among others.

Carrera said:
If the chain flies off and gets tangled up, this can be very dangerous for the cyclist. I have had so many troubles with this that I never switch without looking at the chainrings and am ready to stop pedaling instantly.
This morning my chain shot off again and I wasn't happy as I was cycling back from work at 6.00 a.m. So, my hands got covered in oil.
I now recall which screw I need to stop it happening, though. But I suspect I may do well to buy a new front derailleur as this seems to be a constant pain in the proverbial. For me gears are a constant and ongoing problem.
The inner and outer limit screws (one of the two) on your front derailluer are the solution, that is if your derailluer is still serviceable.

David, can't you try and persuade Boogers to join, say, the Hari Krishnas? I can just see him with his beads, chanting the Krishna mantra while Fred hands out the incense. :) :)
Phew, that must be one of the toughest religions. No coffee, no alcohol and no women!
I guess the Raelian Movement would suit me more as you get to have exploratory group encounters with the female members ;)

davidmc said:
My brother also feels the need to be a member of some "group" or "following". I, on the other hand, am too varied to fit into "cookie-cutter" groups. I'm progressive on most issues but have a couple, only a couple, of conservative beliefs.

Carrera said:
Just replace the entire drivetrain. Then keep the new rings/sprockets/chain clean so that you can handle them without getting filthy.
And don't change under load.

Don Shipp said:
Just replace the entire drivetrain. Then keep the new rings/sprockets/chain clean so that you can handle them without getting filthy.
And don't change under load.
Actually, why not get a track bike and use that as your winter trainer/commute? It's what the pro's always used to do.

I often just use the allen key and push it into position that way. It's a combination of position and angle, plus the cable tension. The screws add the final touch but I always forget which screw does what as I never seem to write it all down handy for the next crisis.
Heavens knows how I'll cope with my diesel engine on the boat as I've only just become more practical with bikes.

davidmc said:
The inner and outer limit screws (one of the two) on your front derailluer are the solution, that is if your derailluer is still serviceable.

Carrera said:
David, can't you try and persuade Boogers to join, say, the Hari Krishnas? I can just see him with his beads, chanting the Krishna mantra while Fred hands out the incense. :) :)
Phew, that must be one of the toughest religions. No coffee, no alcohol and no women!
I guess the Raelian Movement would suit me more as you get to have exploratory group encounters with the female members ;)
I would suspect that DB is a pacifist. Not that there is anything wrong w/ that although I suspect that the implications to being thus, limit one's country from pursuing any varied interests w/ much success.

Well, you know, I guess Boogers is a decent kind of guy who means well. His view is far more widespread than my own in this country and, in fact, my views are quite unusual over here.
I put my apparent intolerance down to the fact I lived for some time in a different cultural setting. Plus, I've been in many difficult situations while overseas and I see life in more dog-eat-dog terminology. Life is essentially a struggle and some realities are harsh and unpleasant.
So, I think Blair is left as the only one at the top who knows he has little choice but to keep his allies on side as he doesn't want the U.S. to take the huff as they did in Germany. If they did, he'd be blamed again.

davidmc said:
I would suspect that DB is a pacifist. Not that there is anything wrong w/ that although I suspect that the implications to being thus, limit one's country from pursuing any varied interests w/ much success.

Don Shipp said:
Actually, why not get a track bike and use that as your winter trainer/commute? It's what the pro's always used to do.
Capital idea ;) Simple design & light weight (no gears or brakes) thus chain tension always the same.

I believe in God myself but not as some kind of personality that sits on a throne. But nature is smart and regulated in such a way, there seems to me to be a definite order and process involved in our evolution.
This is why I admire the Greeks so much as the Greeks spent a lot of time applying philosophy to these matters and trying to explain the nature of God.
The reason people depend on religion is they try to find some specific definition of how they see God or try to somehow claim God is on their side, not the other person's.
I guess, like the Greeks, I see God as an intelligent force whose rules govern nature as a whole and the processes we all depend on. I don't see God in terms of good and bad or black and grey.
I can understand those people who try to search for the one true religion be it Madonna with her Kabbalah or Tom Cruise with his Scientology.

Don Shipp said:
You may not believe in God yourself, but you can't ignore the fact that other people do and for some it is their only motivation.
If some Christian came knocking at your door or sat next to you on a train to tell you about God, would you say "You know he doesn't exist. You are just trying to annoy me and using your made-up faith in a made-up God as an excuse"?

davidmc said:
So, you are an ardent supporter of the war against terrorism.

The so-called "War on Terror" involves carrying out the equivalent of the London Blitz *every* single day in Iraq. AFAIK neither the US or the UK bombs and entire town/city flat to apprehend a lunatic on their mainland.

davidmc said:
Glad thats settled :confused: You are being disingenuous or your ideology is of the pick and choose variety. Otherwise you would condone the summary jailing of 1000's upon 1000's of christians not to mention muslims.

Only *if* they denied responsibility for their actions. I know very few Christians, or Muslims or any other religious follower who denies all personal responsibility.

davidmc said:
That or one of your children got access to you're forum password and is posting diametrically opposed views to the one's you have espoused in the past. So which is it DB :confused:

I have no children. Those views are entirely consistent with what I've said in the past, any inconsistency is entirely between your ears.

Carrera said:

If you have a clamp mounted derailleur it may well be mounted at the wrong height and/or angle. I found that ignoring the instructions for my Racing-T derailleur, and simply using my eyes and noggin worked wonders (once I had the limit screws set right). Working out which screw is which is usually a piece of **** too if you can see where the business ends of them are.

Carrera said:
So you've got purple plums and a squeaky voice then. Get some of those latex medical gloves you clown.

Carrera said:
I often just use the allen key and push it into position that way. It's a combination of position and angle, plus the cable tension. The screws add the final touch but I always forget which screw does what as I never seem to write it all down handy for the next crisis.
Heavens knows how I'll cope with my diesel engine on the boat as I've only just become more practical with bikes.
Learn about adiabatic compression then, and fuel injectors.

Carrera said:
I believe in God myself but not as some kind of personality that sits on a throne. But nature is smart and regulated in such a way, there seems to me to be a definite order and process involved in our evolution.
This is why I admire the Greeks so much as the Greeks spent a lot of time applying philosophy to these matters and trying to explain the nature of God.
The reason people depend on religion is they try to find some specific definition of how they see God or try to somehow claim God is on their side, not the other person's.
I guess, like the Greeks, I see God as an intelligent force whose rules govern nature as a whole and the processes we all depend on. I don't see God in terms of good and bad or black and grey.
I can understand those people who try to search for the one true religion be it Madonna with her Kabbalah or Tom Cruise with his Scientology.
If you don't get it EXACTLY right you're going to hell, with all the other heretics.

FredC said:
Learn about adiabatic compression then, and fuel injectors.
Fred, you're a coach, why don't you tell Careera something useful about his training. Would a fixed be a good idea for winter riding?

Don Shipp said:
Fred, you're a coach, why don't you tell Careera something useful about his training. Would a fixed be a good idea for winter riding?
You're quite right Don. Riding cog on a low gear in the winter is just the ticket, but he just slams it in big nick, and smashes his bollocks to pulp on the top tube. At least I get a laugh out of it. He's clueless and beyond redemption. Dave Le Grys, Guy Elliot, and myself try and guide the kids and young seniors on VR.