Japan earthquake

Nasty indeed.
How in the heck do you prepare for a tsunami - build a 20' x 10' seawall around your town?!
Incredible!
What about insurance? I would speculate insurance carriers operating in those areas have a tsunami exclusion at the top of the exclusions list.
Sucks! Can only imagine...

there will be tens of thousands, almost all from the water rather than the earthquake.

That's just awful. I feel so bad for those poor people, I suspect it's much worse then I can even imagine!

It sure seems like there have been an unusual number of disasters around the world lately....

This is a natural disaster of epic proportions. The human tragedy is unmeasurable for the lives lost and those left behind. My wife and I are going to do what we can to help out.

JAPAN faces a "70 per cent" possibility of a magnitude-7 aftershock following the massive earthquake that struck its north-east coast.

Originally Posted by coneofsilence .

JAPAN faces a "70 per cent" possibility of a magnitude-7 aftershock following the massive earthquake that struck its north-east coast.
Which isn't good because they're having issues with two nuclear power stations. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif

Three power stations now. It will take years to recover and the effects will be felt globally.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Three power stations now. It will take years to recover and the effects will be felt globally.

Three now? I was watching TV a few minutes ago and they said there was a 70% chance of a 7 on the rictor scale quake to follow.

My thoughts are with the Japanese people at this time.

When you see the destruction wrought by the tsunami, it is dreadful to behold.

And now there is a nuclear power station scare/img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

There but for the grace of God.

"The US Geological Survey has updated the magnitude of Friday's earthquake to 9.0, and says Japanese seismologists have independently done the same - making it the fourth largest quake in the world since 1900."

The aftershock quakes potentially spell more trouble.

If the initial quake has caused containable damage, the subsequent aftershocks could rupture already weakened nuclear power station structures.

May all souls rest in peace and the injured ones get well soon ..

Japanese officials have denied the ongoing nuclear crisis at the Fukushima nuclear plant is as serious as either the 1979 Three Mile Island accident or the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.
On the seven-point International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale, Fukushima rates a four, said Japan's nuclear safety agency. Three Mile Island was a five, while Chernobyl was a seven.

Originally Posted by valentine44 .

May all souls rest in peace and the injured ones get well soon ..

Japanese officials have denied the ongoing nuclear crisis at the Fukushima nuclear plant is as serious as either the 1979 Three Mile Island accident or the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.
On the seven-point International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale, Fukushima rates a four, said Japan's nuclear safety agency. Three Mile Island was a five, while Chernobyl was a seven.

The Japanese officials are doing the best job they can dealing with the Nuclear Crisis. They are in the middle of dealing with a devastating earthquake and tsunami at the same time. We are all watching this unfold in front of our eyes there is nothing to hide. The end result very well could be worst than Chernobyl and Three Mile Island but that will not be from a lack of effort by Japan.