KFC Gravy Recipe

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

> On Oct 6, 11:45 pm, "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

> > > I don't "think" I've ever had "popeye" gravy. What is it??

> > Popeye's is another fried chicken chain, far superior (in my
> > opinion) to KFC.

> I don't think we have "Popeye's" here in Sacramento. . .sigh!

<http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?client=popeyes&template
=locator&state=CA&city=Sacramento&radius=100>

Brian

won't shut up.

On Oct 7, 7:21 am, Bobo Bonobo® <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 7, 8:11 am, Myrl Jeffcoat <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Popeye's is another fried chicken chain, far superior (in my opinion)
> > > to KFC.

> > > Brian

> > > --
> > > If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> > > won't shut up.
> > > -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

> > I don't think we have "Popeye's" here in Sacramento. . .sigh!

> There are three, right in town:
> 7229 Stockton Blvd
> Sacramento, CA 95823
> 6631 Watt Ave.
> N. Highlands, CA 95660
> 6502 Antelope Road
> Citrus Heights, CA 95621
>
> The one on Stockton has printable coupons on the website,http://popeyes.com/
>
> You also have Del Taco. Their green chile ROCKS. They make their
> pintos fresh and grate their cheese, in-store. Both their steak and
> chicken are pretty darned good too.
>
> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

Well, I guess I need to just get out more;-). . .It looks like I will
go do a Popeye's this afternoon.

Thanks!
Myrl

Re: KFC Gravy Recipe

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 3:59am (EDT-3) From:
[email protected] (Bobo Bonobo®)
<<< Last week, I posted to a.f.fast-food with the topic, "Robbin' the
cradle at Popeye's," which was about how young the chickens must be that
Popeye's uses. Luckily--or unluckily for my waistline--the Popeye's near
us takes competitors' coupons, so I use Church's coupons there a lot.
Their spicy chicken w/ mashed potatoes and biscuit is fast food at its
best.
Brian >>>>
---------------------------
Thanks for the tip.Ive alaways thought Popeyes was better than all the
others.The nearest one to me is about 5 miles,so I get a lot when Im
there on the way from Tropicana Field.Since I get flooded with Churches
coupons all the time,I enquire if they honor them.Thei
r mashed potatos are the best Ive had,with flecks of jalapino thru
them,but not enough to burn your mouth.
KFC is ok in a bind,,,good mashed potatoes....but their biscuits taste
like cardboard
Cheers.Smitty

"Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

Myrl Jeffcoat <[email protected]> dropped this
news:[email protected]: in
rec.food.cooking

> I don't "think" I've ever had "popeye" gravy. What is it??

LOL... I am sure I don't want to know ;)

> remember as a new bride (many decades ago), I made gravy for the first
> time. I used equal parts of milk, flour, and grease. . .It' rolled
> out of the gravy boat, in one complete ball. My new husband said,
> "You'll do better next time";-)

Your husband sounds like a keeper ;) I've never had a problem with gravy
but the first time I made stock was hilarious. It actually turned out
exactly as it should have but I thought I had made some savory type of
gelatin mess.

> Michael, I love your "bi-lines" about kids. . .One of my favorites is,
> "Raising kids today, is like nailing Jello to a tree."

Ohhh... And I detest Jell-O ;)

--
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their
food, and tyrannize their teachers.

to email: dog3 at charter dot net

"Default User" <[email protected]> dropped this news:5mrdjsFejmseU1
@mid.individual.net: in rec.food.cooking

> Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

>> I don't "think" I've ever had "popeye" gravy. What is it??

> Popeye's is another fried chicken chain, far superior (in my opinion)
> to KFC.

I have not had either in a long time but I concur with your opinion. IIRC
KFC was really expensive compared to Popeye's too.

Michael

--

In article <CsTNi.1370$rD1.13@trnddc01>,
"Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Myrl Jeffcoat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> > KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> > identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> > or have a recipe to make it?
> >
> > Myrl Jeffcoat

> To me it tastes the same as the gravy you buy in cans. They probably spike
> it up with some chicken base or bouillon or MSG or something. To me "real"
> grave just is not that salty. I mean when your lips crinkle it has too much
> salt.

When I worked at KFC back in 1975, we made the gravy from the stuff
we filtered from the oil, so it was basically the same ingredients
that went into the chicken, plus some extra flour for thickening.

I have no idea what they do now.

Mike Beede

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 13:15:54 -0500, Mike Beede <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have no idea what they do now.

Tear the lid off a pre packaged dry mix and add hot water. :(

--
Zilbandy

KFC Gravy

1 Tbsp butter, melted and bubbling.
1 tsp. Mies seasoned flour
chicken stock
pinch of Sage
black pepper.

Cook butter until melted and bubbling. Whisk in Mies seasoned flour and
cook a few seconds till light brown. Whisk in chicken stock slowly till
desired consistency, add pinch of Sage, and black pepper.

On Oct 8, 1:15 pm, Mike Beede <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <CsTNi.1370$rD1.13@trnddc01>,
> "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Myrl Jeffcoat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> > > I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> > > KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> > > identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> > > or have a recipe to make it?

> > > Myrl Jeffcoat

> > To me it tastes the same as the gravy you buy in cans. They probably spike
> > it up with some chicken base or bouillon or MSG or something. To me "real"
> > grave just is not that salty. I mean when your lips crinkle it has too much
> > salt.

> When I worked at KFC back in 1975, we made the gravy from the stuff
> we filtered from the oil, so it was basically the same ingredients
> that went into the chicken, plus some extra flour for thickening.
>
> I have no idea what they do now.
>
> Mike Beede

I think they quit using any ingredient that resembled real chicken in
any way, a long time ago. To me, the stuff is disgusting. It tastes
like the gravy you buy in jars, which I was served once....

N.

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:58:09 -0700, [email protected] (Linda G.)
wrote:

>KFC Gravy
>

>1 Tbsp butter, melted and bubbling.
>1 tsp. Mies seasoned flour
>chicken stock
>pinch of Sage
>black pepper.
>
>Cook butter until melted and bubbling. Whisk in Mies seasoned flour and
>cook a few seconds till light brown. Whisk in chicken stock slowly till
>desired consistency, add pinch of Sage, and black pepper.

This is NOT how it's done in the actual stores. :( It's a
pre-packaged, dry mix.

--
Zilbandy

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> or have a recipe to make it?

No, I don't know. But a while ago I needed gravy and had to make
something up. So I made the standard veloute sauce with butter, flour
and chicken stock. I flavored the roux while it was briefly cooking
with poultry seasoning and sage, and white pepper. After tasting, I
added both salt and msg (Accent). If I had to guess I'd nominate msg
as the ingredient you're missing. Second guess if it's really a spice
taste would be a tiny bit of nutmeg. -aem

kentucky fried chicken gravy is awful, but col. sanders gravy is awsome.. so you want to know the spices in kfc gravy, well if i told you, how would you know, if you don't know how to make kfc gravy then.?? but i'll tell you anyway, the gravy, is made up from crackings, seasoned flour, spices , and water. the cracking is fried chicken bits and cooked coating. seasoned flour is a egg powder and bbq spice and garlic, when makeing gravy cracking and flour roux, then add water and onion powder and black pepper chicken enhancer...i make it always.

Originally Posted by derrick wilson .

kentucky fried chicken gravy is awful, but col. sanders gravy is awsome.. so you want to know the spices in kfc gravy, well if i told you, how would you know, if you don't know how to make kfc gravy then.?? but i'll tell you anyway, the gravy, is made up from crackings, seasoned flour, spices , and water. the cracking is fried chicken bits and cooked coating. seasoned flour is a egg powder and bbq spice and garlic, when makeing gravy cracking and flour roux, then add water and onion powder and black pepper chicken enhancer...i make it always.
I agree, only an idiot would want to recreate that rubbish.