Lemond Bikes steel frames question

rickpaulos

Feb 3, 2005
Question for any Lemond bike experts out there. I'm asking about the steel Reynolds 853 tig welded frames. I see they were sold as several different models, with mostly different grades of components. All seem to have the same geometry regardless of model.

Are they all the same frame? Just with different names & colors?

Thanks.
Rick.

rickpaulos said:
Question for any Lemond bike experts out there. I'm asking about the steel Reynolds 853 tig welded frames. I see they were sold as several different models, with mostly different grades of components. All seem to have the same geometry regardless of model.

Thanks.
Rick.

Probably. Greg has a certain philosophy when it comes to geometry and I think all pretty much reflected that.

Lemond steel frames are not all the same. I believe the earlier Zurichs were full 853 all the other steel models mixed I think 531 for the rear triangle do to it's ease of use in the building process. If you search Lemond steel frames via you favorite search engine you'll find a boat load of info and reviews. For whats it's worth I have an older Zurich (99 I think) with horizontal drop outs and it's one of my favorite rigs- it's usually the first one I grab even over my newer space age carbon rocket.

rickpaulos said:

Thanks.
Rick.

From the bikes I've had. The pre 2002 Zurichs, 2002 Maillot Jaune, and now 2002 Tete de Course all have the same geometry for a 57c-c frame size. I've found no difference in same year models with regard to materials. 2002 Zurich had the same as a 2002 Maillot Jaune. Some years had all 853 and some a mix. My older Zurich is now a fixed gear. Like robsurge I often choose it over others.