Looking for aftermarket shifter grips

sfb

Guest
Rans Tailwinds with Sram 5.0 shifters. Mechanically, the shifters work fine.
The sponge rubber grip has come loose. Does anybody have a source or
suggestion for an after market grip preferably with some sort of clamp and
possibly a lever to increase the mechanical advantage when shifting. Thanks.

"sfb" <[email protected]> wrote
> Rans Tailwinds with Sram 5.0 shifters. Mechanically, the shifters work
> fine. The sponge rubber grip has come loose.

When the rubber grips on my Tour Easy (SRAM Attack?) began to
disintegrate, I found complete replacement shifters from
PricePoint.com bargain basement cheaper than replacement
grips...

froogle.google.com just found several listings for SRAM 5.0
shifters, 7 and 8-speed under $15...

Jon Meinecke

Thanks, but replacing the entire shifter seems a tad much especially when
the problem will shortly return.

The business part of the barrel shifter is hard plastic with grooves and
ridges. The sponge rubber grip has corresponding grooves and ridges to
prevent the grip from sliding around the barrel. The problem is in the
Florida summers when your hands are wet with sweat, you clamp down on the
wet rubber grip deforming it so it slips on the barrel shredding the inside
of the grip since the sponge rubber is so much softer than the barrel.

I'm hoping to find some sort of lever I can clamp on the barrel avoiding
replacing perfectly good working shifters.

news:[email protected]...

sfb wrote:
> Rans Tailwinds with Sram 5.0 shifters. Mechanically, the shifters work fine.
> The sponge rubber grip has come loose. Does anybody have a source or
> suggestion for an after market grip preferably with some sort of clamp and
> possibly a lever to increase the mechanical advantage when shifting. Thanks.

If I were an annoying pedant, I would ask, "What is a 'Rans'?"

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain
Post Free or Die!

"sfb" <[email protected]> wrote

> Thanks, but replacing the entire shifter seems a tad much

Not much in my case. Entire shifters and new cables were less
than $15 and simple to replace. Took me less than an hour
to remove, replace and adjust,-- and I'm slow at repairs. %^)

> especially when the problem will shortly return.

Hmmm, my OEM grips lasted 6-7000 miles and I ride with
sweaty and sunscreened hands. I don't consider that too
short of a life span for grips. On mine the rubber deteriorated
from the outside in, coming off in bits in my hand. Eventually
pretty well shredded on the right side grip.

> The business part of the barrel shifter is hard plastic with grooves and
> ridges. The sponge rubber grip has corresponding grooves and ridges to
> prevent the grip from sliding around the barrel.

Is this the one? (SRAM 5.0 maintenance sheet)

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/SL_X_9SL_9_7_Ro_At_Ins02_02.PDF

> I'm hoping to find some sort of lever I can clamp on the barrel

Some sort of hose clamp, auto parts store, maybe?
But how to pad for comfort?

> avoiding replacing perfectly good working shifters.

My original set were shifting fine when I replaced them.

My SRAM shifters are a different model from yours, I think.
From your description, the model you have seems more prone
to grip failure (design flaw?) from the inside out. I never felt
my grips slipping over the inner barrel.

Changing to a different model might avoid the flaw and might
not be too expensive...

In any case, good luck.

Jon Meinecke

Wrong maintenance sheet. The SRAM 5.0 sheet is at
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/SL_7_5_Attack_Ins_05_99.PDF

On the 5.0, the shifter and handle bar grip are separate parts. The barrel
on the 5.0 shifter is 1.25" which to me is the poor design as the gripping
area between the soft rubber grip and the barrel might be to small. On the
one you posted, it looks like the shifter is also the grip.

I already decided not to replace the 5.0 with another 5.0 since the design
is weak. Actually, I could buy another set of 5.0s and just for the grips.
If I replace the entire shifter, it will be with a more robust design.

Thanks for your ideas.

"Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "sfb" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Thanks, but replacing the entire shifter seems a tad much

> Not much in my case. Entire shifters and new cables were less
> than $15 and simple to replace. Took me less than an hour
> to remove, replace and adjust,-- and I'm slow at repairs. %^)
>
>> especially when the problem will shortly return.

> Hmmm, my OEM grips lasted 6-7000 miles and I ride with
> sweaty and sunscreened hands. I don't consider that too
> short of a life span for grips. On mine the rubber deteriorated
> from the outside in, coming off in bits in my hand. Eventually
> pretty well shredded on the right side grip.
>
>> The business part of the barrel shifter is hard plastic with grooves and
>> ridges. The sponge rubber grip has corresponding grooves and ridges to
>> prevent the grip from sliding around the barrel.

> Is this the one? (SRAM 5.0 maintenance sheet)
>
> http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/SL_X_9SL_9_7_Ro_At_Ins02_02.PDF
>
>> I'm hoping to find some sort of lever I can clamp on the barrel

> Some sort of hose clamp, auto parts store, maybe?
> But how to pad for comfort?
>
>> avoiding replacing perfectly good working shifters.

> My original set were shifting fine when I replaced them.
>
> My SRAM shifters are a different model from yours, I think.
> From your description, the model you have seems more prone
> to grip failure (design flaw?) from the inside out. I never felt
> my grips slipping over the inner barrel.
>
> Changing to a different model might avoid the flaw and might
> not be too expensive...
>
> In any case, good luck.
>
> Jon Meinecke

"sfb" <[email protected]> wrote in
> Wrong maintenance sheet. The SRAM 5.0 sheet is at
> http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/SL_7_5_Attack_Ins_05_99.PDF

Oops, yes, I was looking at both the sheet for my Tour Easy
SRAM 7.0 Attack shifter and posted that URL instead of the the
5.0 one I was comparing it to at the time.

> On the 5.0, the shifter and handle bar grip are separate parts. The barrel
> on the 5.0 shifter is 1.25" which to me is the poor design

I think this is the one on my Volae:

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/SL_X0_X9_X7_Rock_Att_1_03.pdf

The X7 shifters may have the same design flaw as the 5.0 with the
shorter shifting barrel! I hope they don't fail as yours did. I haven't
notice an slipping of the grip on the shifting barrel. And the grip
seems pretty dense plastic in that area.

I currently have a different problem with the Volae grip sifters. The
non-moving part of the grip tends to slide down and create a gap.
The bar end slopes down and as I rest my hand there, the grip
migrates a bit.

I took the grip all the way off, cleaned it and reinstalled. It's not
moving as easily while riding, but still separates a bit from the
moving portion of the shifter. I'm considering wrapping the bar
with a bit of vinyl tape under the grip to increase friction.

Jon Meinecke

The SRAM products web page is awkward to navigate as they separate
components into Mountain, Comfort, and Road, but it appears they have both
short and long barrel shifters. Eyeballing the data sheets, few seem to have
the soft rubber grip found in the 5.0.

"Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "sfb" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> Wrong maintenance sheet. The SRAM 5.0 sheet is at
>> http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/SL_7_5_Attack_Ins_05_99.PDF

> Oops, yes, I was looking at both the sheet for my Tour Easy
> SRAM 7.0 Attack shifter and posted that URL instead of the the
> 5.0 one I was comparing it to at the time.
>
>> On the 5.0, the shifter and handle bar grip are separate parts. The
>> barrel on the 5.0 shifter is 1.25" which to me is the poor design

> I think this is the one on my Volae:
>
> http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/SL_X0_X9_X7_Rock_Att_1_03.pdf
>
> The X7 shifters may have the same design flaw as the 5.0 with the
> shorter shifting barrel! I hope they don't fail as yours did. I haven't
> notice an slipping of the grip on the shifting barrel. And the grip
> seems pretty dense plastic in that area.
>
> I currently have a different problem with the Volae grip sifters. The
> non-moving part of the grip tends to slide down and create a gap.
> The bar end slopes down and as I rest my hand there, the grip
> migrates a bit.
>
> I took the grip all the way off, cleaned it and reinstalled. It's not
> moving as easily while riding, but still separates a bit from the
> moving portion of the shifter. I'm considering wrapping the bar
> with a bit of vinyl tape under the grip to increase friction.
>
> Jon Meinecke

"sfb" <[email protected]> wrote
> The SRAM products web page is awkward to navigate as they separate
> components into Mountain, Comfort, and Road, but it appears they have both
> short and long barrel shifters. Eyeballing the data sheets, few seem to
> have the soft rubber grip found in the 5.0.

I'll hold my breath that the X7 ones are better than the 5.0.

Thanks!

A friendly and helpful (to me) topical conversation, imagine that!

Jon Meinecke

sfb wrote:
> The SRAM products web page is awkward to navigate as they separate
> components into Mountain, Comfort, and Road, but it appears they have both
> short and long barrel shifters. Eyeballing the data sheets, few seem to have
> the soft rubber grip found in the 5.0.

Yeah, the web page pretty much sucks. I hate Flash...

Anyway, SRAM shifters come (came?) in "standard" length and "Half Pipe"
length. The "Half Pipe" shifters are out of production, I think. If you
want to replace just the grip portion of the short shifters, perhaps
you should try a couple wraps of conventional cloth handlebar tape.

As too Jon's slipping (fixed) grips- try pulling them off then
reinstalling them after cleaning the grip and handlebar completely. I
use hair spray (really!) as a lubricant/adhesive when I put grips on.

Jeff

I have a SRAM 9 speed twist shifter I can sell you cheap. How about $10?
Was used for about 6 months and 500 miles. [email protected]
remove nospam