Mental Effects Of Cycling

Dora M said:
On weekends when I take myself and my bike to some more remote area in the countryside, I can switch off my mind and just bask in the beauty of the surrounding nature. As for riding to work, it's a different story. It's true, I do get distracted from my daily worries while pedaling to work, but only to replace them with new worries about what's going on in front or behind me. :wacko:
I can tell you by experience it's not so fun riding to work. In addition to the risk of you been bounced down by mad driver, there is also the case where you will sweat and you may get smelly as well.

It's really a good habit to cultivate. I used to jog and exercise every morning before I went for school and work. I felt absolutely refreshed for the entire day, even if I hadn't gotten enough sleep the night before. It allows a more efficient flow of blood to the brain for mental energy and sharpness.

I certainly enjoyed this post. Getting into any physical activity is quite a challenge at the onset. It's such a hassle to squeeze in cycling especially if you're used to a sedentary lifestyle. But after getting past this roadblock, I find myself enjoying the ride. If there's one thing I've learned from cycling or running, it develops your positive attitude and tolerance for delayed gratification, which are very applicable in our daily life.

Riding allows you to be calm and release stress. It helps you to clear your mind. There so are so many benefits to be gained from it and I'm happy you decided to inform us of such.

When I started cycling in a regular basis I saw a difference both in my physical and mental health. It is the ideal exercise for me since I really enjoy doing this.

Riding, or any form of exercise really, can help you stay focused and make you more alert. So it's no wonder this doctor has created a specific way to make the most use of his exercise with riding. And I think most people can benefit from such a way as well. It will make us less sedentary, more active and more healthy. An added bonus is that it can help us to be more productive in our work or school as well!

I can vouch for "peak mental activity" part. I needed to get to work, which is just 3 miles away from home. It seemed a waste to drive to work everyday. So, I bought a bike and have not touched my car for commuting to work ever since. Of course, with traffic being what it is, I used start a little early and leave a little late. So, in essence, not only was my body getting more work done, my brain was getting more work done at the office as well.

This is a great post. Thanks for putting it up. There really is a huge difference between people who exercise on a regular basis compared to the couch potatoes. Could say couch vegetables. Lol
"High blood levels of anandamide, a natural cannabinoid" in the exercise group but not in the ones that did nothing. It's related to motivation and pleasure It also affects the nervous system. Interesting and obviously it is true. Studies are being done about how it effects sleep/eating patterns, and pain relief. They don't really need to do studies on it, it is quite obvious. Definitely have a better appetite and sleep better. Pain relief, of course.
It's all true that's for sure. I was doing some running one day and was at about an hour 45 minutes. Decided to try some jogging in place and then sprint. I did this 6 or 7 times at the end. I love to sprint but this time I turned it up quite a bit. Lol the feeling and mental state right after was unbelievable. Such a rush.

When feeling stressed I enjoy hopping on my bike and going for a ride. There is something about the joy that lets me release all those unnecessary stress on my shoulders. Indeed exercising has a very powerful effect on your mind.

I can totally understand how cycling is good for the brain and body. No matter how stressed or upset I am, I can always calm down after a good long ride. It relaxes both my body and my brain and makes me feel so much more relaxed. While my problems may still exist, it seems I am so much more able to deal with them after I have taken time to ride and spend some time alone out on the open road.

My husband tells me often he must take a long, intense bike ride and workout a couple times a week or he feels down mentally and physically. He often says, 'How can anyone be unhappy while riding a bike?'. Exercise of any kind definitely makes me feel better!

It is sad to see friends and loved ones feeling depressed and unhealthy when I know if they if they would take a bike ride they would feel so much better!!

I definitely agree with this, 100%. I always find the first half hour of cycling to be mundane and challenging sometimes, but once I get to 30 minutes, I feel like I can go forever. It's amazing how energized I feel when I'm done, and find it easier to challenge myself even further. I've recently joined the cycling and health kick again and I intend on staying on track. I'm new to this forum so I am soaking up all of the information I can get! Awesome post.

I knew I was getting smarter after I starting riding more. I could just feel it. I am not really sure that is the case, but it is no secret that getting a good workout in help you focus more and is better for your mental health, and when you factor in some good scenery that comes with riding I can see the extra benefits. I love it, and it really give me a clear mind and lets me think freely throughout the day, which is something that I need.

It only affected me in a positive way. I feel fresher and smarter. There is a little bit of physical fatigue but no mental fatigue at all. Being a student, I can put more hours into my studies than ever before. I always wake up with joy as I always cycle at the morning. A healthy body houses a healthy mind.

Exercise in general is good for overall health. I can't exercise heavily due to being a recovering anorexic, but a little bike riding is okay according to my doctor. She suggested to take it easy and only on a few a days a week. I find it helps me to relax and feel more motivated and full of energy compared to having to take a nutritional supplement.

It is really interesting, and you know any kind of exercise - yoga, running, swimming etc are good for you and your mental health. I think that finding peace with yourself and some time away from the stress is always good.

So, yeah! Cycling is really good for your mental health.

There are only positive ones, actually. If you're kinda lazy doing any sport = cycling is a good thing for you to get away with. It doesn't take much effort. It improves your feet condition. It's actually fun.

There's no doubt that cycling puts people in a better frame of mind and can help people that are going through a bad time, just like any form of exercise can.

Its a way of getting your mind thinking about other things, and sometimes if your a bit down or depressed, sometimes that's all you need.