Microwave oven rant. Rice.

On 2007-07-26, Ophelia wrote:

>> I'll look harder next time, but the one with these annoyances is still
>> going (almost 10 years old, I think). I think this may be a local
>> (UK) issue.

> I am in UK and I have had Panasonics for about 20 years and they have both
> had keypads

Interesting, thanks.

--
"Hey Myron, I'm a lawyer!"

"Tom Kraemer" <[email protected]> wrote

> > I suppose you'd think crescent wrenches are stupid, because you tried to
> > lay a roof with one and it didn't work out so well.

> Crescent is a brand name, you pinhead, not a type of wrench. You need
> to check your facts before posting nonsense to usenet.

He probably thinks the usenet is just another message board.

--oTTo--

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:53:47 -0400, anTonOMasia <[email protected]> wrote:

>* Terri wrote, On 25/07/07 09:54 PM:
>> Doctroid <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:

>>> When *I* was a kid, the only microwave ovens around were the radar
>>> dishes my Dad worked on at GE. Uphill. Both ways.

>>> And when I was a young adult, the only microwaves had mechanical dial
>>> timers. In the snow!

>> Damn kids. WE had to harness microwave rays from the SUN!
>>

>BAH! From your own solar system?!
>WE had to borrow a sun to harness microwaves from!

You had a Harness ?

Where did you keep the horse ?

<rj>

On 2007-07-25, [email protected] wrote:

>> But first, I agree with the point that microwave ovens are generally
>> for reheating rather than cooking as such --- with the exception of
>> rice, for which the microwave is a legitimately easy cooking method.

> That doesnt add up to me, nukes are foor cooking as much as reheating.
> And rice I wouldn't do in a nuke.

I recommend trying it: one volume of rice and two volumes of water
(that varies a little with different brands and types of rice;
sometimes you need to add a little more). Zap until done, stirring
occasionally. If you make about the same amount of rice each time,
you learn how long to time it.

Much easier than stirring constantly to keep rice from sticking to a
saucepan.

--
I put bomb in squirrel's briefcase and who gets blown up? Me!

* Adam Funk wrote, On 26/07/07 02:56 PM:
> On 2007-07-25, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>> But first, I agree with the point that microwave ovens are generally
>>> for reheating rather than cooking as such --- with the exception of
>>> rice, for which the microwave is a legitimately easy cooking method.

>> That doesnt add up to me, nukes are foor cooking as much as reheating.
>> And rice I wouldn't do in a nuke.

> I recommend trying it: one volume of rice and two volumes of water
> (that varies a little with different brands and types of rice;
> sometimes you need to add a little more). Zap until done, stirring
> occasionally. If you make about the same amount of rice each time,
> you learn how long to time it.
>
> Much easier than stirring constantly to keep rice from sticking to a
> saucepan.

Two words: "rice cooker"

And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker

Use the right tool for the job.

--

anTon O'Masia [ antonomasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]

In article <[email protected]>,
Adam Funk <[email protected]> wrote:

> > And rice I wouldn't do in a nuke.

> I recommend trying it: one volume of rice and two volumes of water
> (that varies a little with different brands and types of rice;
> sometimes you need to add a little more). Zap until done, stirring
> occasionally. If you make about the same amount of rice each time,
> you learn how long to time it.
>
> Much easier than stirring constantly to keep rice from sticking to a
> saucepan.

You don't even need to stir it.

Those who refuse to try rice in a microwave are idiots.

In article <[email protected]>,
Doctroid <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Mine are based 100% on evidence. When people give blatant evidence of
> > their blatant stupidity, like Tom did, they should expect to be called
> > on it. He misused a microwave oven, and declared microwave ovens stupid.
> >
> > Jesus.

> Let's see, that makes at least two assumptions you've pulled out of your
> ass with nothing to back them up.

Nothing other than your own words.

Otto Bahn <[email protected]> wrote:
>Once, while drunk, I tried to poach an egg in a microwave.
>It exploded. I now know how to coat a microwave's insides
>with egg matter. McGiver ain't got nothin' on me. I did
>eventually figure out how to poach an egg in a microwave,
>but it's far simpler to boil water on a stove.

There is youtube video out there of how to generate a glowing plasma using
onlty a microwave, a lit match, and an inverted shot glass. (It will end up
fracturing, then exploding, the shot glass.)

Dave "now if only MacGuyver could figure out a situation in which this was
USEFUL, and call it marcaroni" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from [email protected] "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Tom Kraemer <[email protected]> wrote:
>Elmo P. Shagnasty <[email protected]> wrote:

[nothing sensible]

>Right, like that ever stopped anybody.
>
>Also, going around hoping complete strangers are gay sounds pretty gay.

Well, I don't do it _all_ the time, so it can't be _completely_ gay.

And what about posting to "rec.food._equipment_", hm?

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from [email protected] "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Elmo P. Shagnasty <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Kraemer <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > No, dummy, I don't blame the microwave. I blame my parents. Did you
> > even read the post you responded to?

> The one where you said microwaves aren't for cooking, and that you
> wouldn't use one under any circumstances?

No, I think he's referring to the one he actually posted, not the
imaginary one you appear to have somehow read that appears to have
contained so much innuendo it made you explodiate into a cloud of
homophobic stupidity.

-jwgh

--
"'God damn, this banjo will make a club!'"
-- John Brunner, _No Other Gods But Me_ (1966)

says...
> This recent article in the Grauniad reminded me to rant about
> microwave ovens these days.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2123217,00.html
>
> But first, I agree with the point that microwave ovens are generally
> for reheating rather than cooking as such --- with the exception of
> rice, for which the microwave is a legitimately easy cooking method.

I find that for certain things the microwave is just fine for cooking.
For corn, artichokes and asparagus it sure beats boiling. I suggest you
look at Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet to see the things it does well.

--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey

says...
> On 2007-07-25, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >> But first, I agree with the point that microwave ovens are generally
> >> for reheating rather than cooking as such --- with the exception of
> >> rice, for which the microwave is a legitimately easy cooking method.

> > That doesnt add up to me, nukes are foor cooking as much as reheating.
> > And rice I wouldn't do in a nuke.

> I recommend trying it: one volume of rice and two volumes of water
> (that varies a little with different brands and types of rice;
> sometimes you need to add a little more). Zap until done, stirring
> occasionally. If you make about the same amount of rice each time,
> you learn how long to time it.
>
> Much easier than stirring constantly to keep rice from sticking to a
> saucepan.

How about rice in a rice cooker. What could be easier?
--

Jerry Bank <[email protected]> wrote:

> How about rice in a rice cooker. What could be easier?

The microwave and a microwave-safe dish with a cover.

Alton Brown knows what he's talking about: he hates unitaskers, and so
do I.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Kraemer <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> No, dummy, I don't blame the microwave. I blame my parents. Did you
> >> even read the post you responded to?

> > The one where you said microwaves aren't for cooking, and that you
> > wouldn't use one under any circumstances?

> Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Now you're just making stuff up, or, as
> Doctroid has pointed out, pulling stuff out of your ass. I never
> criticized microwave ovens, I criticized my parents' use of one, and I
> also criticized foodstuffs that recommended microwaving as the
> preferred 'cooking' method. Do please go back and read the post,
> dumbass.

I did. You were plain in your words.

If you used the wrong words, that's your problem.

In alt.religion.kibology Elmo P. Shagnasty <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Kraemer <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Now you're just making stuff up, or, as
>> Doctroid has pointed out, pulling stuff out of your ass. I never
>> criticized microwave ovens, I criticized my parents' use of one, and I
>> also criticized foodstuffs that recommended microwaving as the
>> preferred 'cooking' method. Do please go back and read the post,
>> dumbass.

> I did.

HAW HAW. The trick is to COMPREHEND what you READ, even if you have
to read it out loud, or ask for help from a grown-up.

> You were plain in your words.

I certainly was, but you still want to just make stuff up. A healthy
imagination can be a good thing, but it can be taken too far.

> If you used the wrong words, that's your problem.

If you have some sort of dyslexic-type disorder that allows you to
read things that aren't written, that's your problem. Maybe there's a
support group for that, but I think the last place you would find it
is on the usenet.

--
"Oh ****! It's a miracle!" - Bender, _Futurama_

Adam Funk wrote:

> This recent article in the Grauniad reminded me to rant about
> microwave ovens these days.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2123217,00.html
>
> But first, I agree with the point that microwave ovens are generally
> for reheating rather than cooking as such --- with the exception of
> rice, for which the microwave is a legitimately easy cooking method.
>
> The microwave my parents had when I was a kid had something like a
> numeric keypad on it, so you could (for example) press 2-3-0-start to
> zap something for two and a half minutes. Now you have to press the
> minute and ten-second buttons repeatedly. This annoys me. Bring back
> the numpad.

Numpad!?

Hah!!!

My Emerson AR661 microwave just has a timer dial,
and a switch to select "defrost" or "cook"

--
pete

"Otto Bahn" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

As such, it is an "eco-friendly" mechanism
> for heating certain products. For actual cooking of real
> food, microwaves are fairly useless.

Hot Pockets actually figured out how
> to crisp in a microwave, but I can't afford to eat those
> grease bombs anymore health-wise.

Michael Moore could do an entire movie on this.
Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless for cooking food until
Nestle figures out a way to brown something loosely called "food"
by using metal laminated to a paper substrate using non-biodegradable,
environmentally unfriendly polyester, to make it more palatable
in an eco-friendly oven to satisfy the consumer's need for
convenience.

N-E-S-T-L-E-S
Nestles makes the very best...
Poison

http://www.geocities.com/foodedge/jingles3.html
with a special jingle for Mr. Edwards:

"How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a
Tootsie Pop"?

In article <[email protected]>,
Terri <[email protected]> wrote:

> Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless for cooking food

yeah, what the hell good is a screwdriver. I mean, you can't drill
holes with it.

You people have no concept of "the right tool for the job". Just
because something isn't the right tool for EVERY job doesn't mean it's
just plain useless overall.

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Terri <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless for cooking food

> yeah, what the hell good is a screwdriver. I mean, you can't drill
> holes with it.

Your planetary customs are quaint and curious. On Urth we use
a drill for drilling holes.

> You people

*My people* were gathering hot rocks to cook escargots with garlic while
yours were still grooming each other's pelts and pointing at the sun.

have no concept of "the right tool for the job".
Hey I'm not the one who hasn't figured out how babies get here!
Just
> because something isn't the right tool for EVERY job doesn't mean it's
> just plain useless overall.

I really don't think someone who never finished reading " What's Happening
To My Body" has any business giving advice on the proper use of tools.
However, in the name of edification you may find this a bit less
intimidating than the above mentioned works:
http://www.villagevoice.com/arts/0402,collins,50176,12.html