Need an opinion on Bridgestone RB-t

eladbell

Nov 10, 2004
Hello All,
I apologize if I am not in the correct section but I hope this is close enough.
I bought a Bridgestone RB Today for almost nothing,( thanks to the fact that I have been reading cycling articles for years and can spot a quality vintage bike anywhere, and also I am low on money at the moment). The bike had been standing in the shop for years and nobody (including the shop owner ) noticed what a gem it is.
What I need to know is whether the current components on the bike are good enough or will I have to start upgrading or servicing? ( which I do not want to do). Here is a quick run down of the bike: Frame Bridgestone RB T (1991?)

Suntour xce deraillers, dia compe xcm brakes, Sansin hubs, Sakae cranks.
Please can you tell me which components if any I should up grade?

Sincerely Elad.

eladbell said:
Hello All,
I apologize if I am not in the correct section but I hope this is close enough.
I bought a Bridgestone RB Today for almost nothing,( thanks to the fact that I have been reading cycling articles for years and can spot a quality vintage bike anywhere, and also I am low on money at the moment). The bike had been standing in the shop for years and nobody (including the shop owner ) noticed what a gem it is.
What I need to know is whether the current components on the bike are good enough or will I have to start upgrading or servicing? ( which I do not want to do). Here is a quick run down of the bike: Frame Bridgestone RB T (1991?)

Sincerely Elad.
All good components that don't need replacing until they are worn out.
When worn out you will look at replacing the rear hub with the then available Shimano stuff... including a new cassette, chain, and shifter that matches.

Most vintage bikes are inexpensive because they don't have the latest in technology like integrated shifters, and 30 speed drive trains. And without the names that are popular or exotic, you can find good deals. Congratulations on your find.

However, to the point of your post. The components you have should last just as long as modern components, and be just as reliable (maybe more).

As long as the bike is your size, and you enjoy riding it, the component mix is something you shouldn't worry about upgrading.

There are many cyclists who love the simplicity of the older drivetrains, and avoid using new technology. In fact, I am going to drop some friction shifters off at my favorite bike shop later because I overheard them last week saying they were going to order some... I will let them have a couple of mine to free my parts bin space, and because they have always treated me well... and I want them to keep doing so. :)

Anyway, enouygh of the side trip. After all that, the short answer is: No, you don't need to upgrade anything.

EDIT: Actually the one area I would consider upgrading... I don't know the brakes, but from what I have heard... if they are single pivot caliper brakes, you would want to consider upgrading them to dual pivot for better stopping power.

Second EDIT: I just searched, and it looks like the brakes are cantilever, so you are good to go!

eladbell said:
In the US a cult is growing around early 90s Bridgestones. Nice bikes in original condition are getting interesting money. I wouldn't upgrade anything on that bike that isn't broken.