Newbie Looking for lost Cookie Recipe....TIA

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bonnie Swarts, May 15, 2005.

  1. Ok here is the story of what I am looking for....

    My mother had a page ripped out of a magazine years ago that had a recipe
    for toll house pan cookies, which should be simple to find, right? Wrong,
    this recipe was slightly different, as the cookies were made as a bar cookie
    and again something that should be simple to make of find the recipe for.
    But the difference was the topping. As I recall the recipe had a coating of
    crushed peanuts covering a melted topping of chocolate chips. I wish I had
    the recipe but my exwife took it when she left and refused to cough it up!
    The magazine it was featured in had the recipe and a coupon for Nestle's
    Toll House chips all on one page and sadly I am not sure what magazine it
    was. That main thing I can tell you is that in the recipe I think (but again
    without the recipe, I don't know) it called for either corn syrup or sugar
    in the chocolate chip coating or both. I wish I had the original recipe, but
    that is simply out of the question. But for those who may know of the recipe
    I would greatly apperciate the help in finding it. Thanks in advance for any
    help!

    Sincerely, E5

    PS please email me at Rockinyahard@yahoo.com thank you again

    Tags:

  2. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:17:41 GMT, "Bonnie Swarts" <BSWARTS@va.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >Ok here is the story of what I am looking for....
    >
    >My mother had a page ripped out of a magazine years ago that had a recipe
    >for toll house pan cookies, which should be simple to find, right? Wrong,
    >this recipe was slightly different, as the cookies were made as a bar cookie
    >and again something that should be simple to make of find the recipe for.
    >But the difference was the topping. As I recall the recipe had a coating of
    >crushed peanuts covering a melted topping of chocolate chips. I wish I had
    >the recipe but my exwife took it when she left and refused to cough it up!
    >The magazine it was featured in had the recipe and a coupon for Nestle's
    >Toll House chips all on one page and sadly I am not sure what magazine it
    >was. That main thing I can tell you is that in the recipe I think (but again
    >without the recipe, I don't know) it called for either corn syrup or sugar
    >in the chocolate chip coating or both. I wish I had the original recipe, but
    >that is simply out of the question. But for those who may know of the recipe
    >I would greatly apperciate the help in finding it. Thanks in advance for any
    >help!
    >
    >Sincerely, E5
    >
    >PS please email me at Rockinyahard@yahoo.com thank you again

    CHOCOLATE TOFFEE COOKIE CRUNCH BARS

    2 c. finely crushed vanilla wafers (50 wafers)
    1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
    1/3 c. butter, melted

    TOFFEE LAYER:

    1/2 c. butter
    1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
    1 (6 oz.) pkg. (1 c.) Nestle Toll House semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    1/2 c. finely chopped nuts

    Cookie Base: Preheat oven to 350. In bowl combine wafer crumbs and
    brown sugar. Stir in butter. Press into 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 for 8
    minutes.

    Toffee Layer: Combine butter and brown sugar. Cook over moderate heat
    stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. BOIL 1 MINUTE.
    Pour immediately over baked base. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

    Let stand 2 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Let stand 2-3
    minutes until morsels are shiny and soft. Spread evenly. Sprinkle with
    chopped nuts. Chill. Cut into 2x1 inch bars or break into irregular
    pieces. Makes 4 1/2 dozen bars.

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1810,152182-252207,00.html

    MAGIC COOKIE BARS

    1/2 c. butter
    1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
    1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated
    milk)
    1 (6 oz.) pkg. (1 c.) Nestle Toll House semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    1 c. chopped Diamond walnuts
    1 (3 1/2 oz.) can flaked coconut (1 1/3 c.)

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (325 degrees for glass dish). In 13x9
    inch baking pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle crumbs over butter; mix
    together and press into pan. Pour Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
    evenly over crumbs. Top evenly with Nestle Toll House semi-sweet
    morsels, Diamond walnuts and flaked coconut; press down firmly.

    Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool thoroughly before
    cutting. Store loosely covered at room temperature. Makes 24 bars.

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1610,156160-228202,00.html

    Magic Cookie Bars

    Source: Family Circle magazine 11/70

    Crunchy and delicious treat, made quick 'n easy right in the baking
    pan.

    1 1/2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) regular margarine or butter, melted
    1 cup coarsely chopped Diamond Walnuts
    1 cup (6 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    1 1/3 cups (3 1/2 ounce can) flaked coconut
    1 can Borden Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

    Measure corn flake crumbs, sugar and margarine into 13 x 9 x 2-inch
    baking pan; mix thoroughly. With back of tablespoon press mixture
    evenly and firmly in bottom of pan to form crust.

    Sprinkle walnuts evenly over crust. Scatter chocolate morsels over
    walnuts. Sprinkle coconut evenly over chocolate morsels.

    Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over coconut. Bake in moderate
    oven (350 degrees F) about 25 minutes or until lightly browned around
    edges. Cool. Cut into bars.

    Yield 54 (2 x 1 inch) Magic Cookie Bars

    http://www.recipegoldmine.com/cookbar/cookbar365.html

    Rusty

  3. Thanks Rusty but these still are not the recipe I was looking for. I will
    try these though LOL! The things about the recipe I remember is:

    The cookie is a bar style chocolate chip cookie (fairly easy enough to make)
    The cookies were then covered with a mixture of chocolate chips and ? mixed
    over heat.
    Then before the chocolate cooled complete a layer of peanuts was add (per
    the instructions in the recipe).

    I will how ever look through the websites you mentioned to try and find it!
    Thanks for the help just the same though!!

    Sincerely E5

    "Rusty" <reuben_barton@no_spam_y_a_h_o_o_.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > Crunchy and delicious treat, made quick 'n easy right in the baking
    > pan.
    >
    > 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs
    > 3 tablespoons sugar
    > 1/2 cup (1 stick) regular margarine or butter, melted
    > 1 cup coarsely chopped Diamond Walnuts
    > 1 cup (6 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    > 1 1/3 cups (3 1/2 ounce can) flaked coconut
    > 1 can Borden Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
    >
    > Measure corn flake crumbs, sugar and margarine into 13 x 9 x 2-inch
    > baking pan; mix thoroughly. With back of tablespoon press mixture
    > evenly and firmly in bottom of pan to form crust.
    >
    > Sprinkle walnuts evenly over crust. Scatter chocolate morsels over
    > walnuts. Sprinkle coconut evenly over chocolate morsels.
    >
    > Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over coconut. Bake in moderate
    > oven (350 degrees F) about 25 minutes or until lightly browned around

  4. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    Bonnie Swarts wrote:
    > Thanks Rusty but these still are not the recipe I was looking for. I

    will
    > try these though LOL! The things about the recipe I remember is:
    >
    > The cookie is a bar style chocolate chip cookie (fairly easy enough

    to make)
    > The cookies were then covered with a mixture of chocolate chips and ?

    mixed
    > over heat.
    > Then before the chocolate cooled complete a layer of peanuts was add

    (per
    > the instructions in the recipe).
    >
    > I will how ever look through the websites you mentioned to try and

    find it!
    > Thanks for the help just the same though!!
    >
    > Sincerely E5

    This recipe sounds like what you describe:

    ELEN'S HOOSIER PEANUT BAR

    Recipe By : Heather Smith
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Bar cookies

    2 cups Flour
    1 teaspoon Soda
    2 teaspoons Baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 cup Shortening
    1/2 cup Brown sugar -- firmly packed
    2 Egg yolks
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    3 tablespoons Cold water
    1 Pkg chocolate chips (lg.)
    2 Egg white
    1 cup Brown sugar -- firmly packed
    3/4 cup Salted peanuts -- chopped

    Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Cream shortening, 1/2 c
    sugar,
    1/2 c brown sugar. Blend egg yolks into sugar mixture. Add water
    alternately with flour mixture. Dough will be stiff. Spread into
    greased,
    floured 15 x 10 baking dish. Spread chocolate chips over top and press
    gently.
    Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cup of brown sugar, beat until stiff.
    Spread over chocolate chips. Top with salted peanuts. If the
    ingredients
    look like a chocolate chips cookies, they are - this is just chocolate
    chip
    cookies arranged differently, and it is GOOD!

    Rusty

Share This Page