normal derails and road compacts

Raymo853

Guest
Has anyone run into shifting problems when using the
standard/road compact setups with 34/50 rings and normal
double shimano front derailuers?

"Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone run into shifting problems when using the
> standard/road compact setups with 34/50 rings and normal
> double shimano front derailuers?

I recently had an FSA Carbon Pro Compact crankset put on a
Trek 5500 with DA 9speed group. Because the derailleur
hanger is bonded to the frame, adjustment was limited and
the derailleur cage couldn't be lowered to the proper
spacing above the large chainring. In fact, set as low as it
would go, the gap seemed kinda huge. Well, I've ridden about
700 miles on it now and it simply rides and shifts
beautifully. I've dropped the chain once, despite riding
almost all of those miles in very hilly terrain with lots of
shifting between the small and large rings.

The nice thing I notice is the very stiff and solid feel of
the smaller rings. It's hard to describe, but sprints and
out-of-saddle efforts are really a pleasure because there's
such a solid feel to the whole setup compared to the
standard DA crankset. And again, the shifting is nearly
flawless ... better than the DA crankset despite the less-than-
ideal derailleur height.

Bob C.

Mine is going to be on a bike w/o a bolt on, a IF CLub
Racer, so I am betting I will have no problems.

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone run into shifting problems when using the
> > standard/road
compact
> > setups with 34/50 rings and normal double shimano front
> > derailuers?
> >

> I recently had an FSA Carbon Pro Compact crankset put on a
> Trek 5500 with
DA
> 9speed group. Because the derailleur hanger is bonded to
> the frame, adjustment was limited and the derailleur cage
> couldn't be lowered to the proper spacing above the large
> chainring. In fact, set as low as it would go, the gap
> seemed kinda huge. Well, I've ridden about 700 miles on it
now
> and it simply rides and shifts beautifully. I've dropped
> the chain once, despite riding almost all of those miles
> in very hilly terrain with lots
of
> shifting between the small and large rings.
>
> The nice thing I notice is the very stiff and solid feel
> of the smaller rings. It's hard to describe, but sprints
> and out-of-saddle efforts are really a pleasure because
> there's such a solid feel to the whole setup compared to
> the standard DA crankset. And again, the shifting is
> nearly flawless ... better than the DA crankset despite
> the less-than-ideal derailleur height.
>
> Bob C.

On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:23:17 -0400, "Raymo853" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Has anyone run into shifting problems when using the
>standard/road compact setups with 34/50 rings and normal
>double shimano front derailuers?

Current Shimano front derailleurs don't do a great job with
that chainring combo. The shift assists on your 50t ring are
very important to make it work ok. The DA triple front
derailleur works well as do current Campy front derailleurs.
Neither seem to need great shift assists.

Originally posted by Raymo853
Has anyone run into shifting problems when using the
standard/road compact setups with 34/50 rings and normal
double shimano front derailuers?

No problems for me. I put 34x50 on a bike that had clamp front derailer and I was able to move it down enough - about 6mm (had 39x53 on there).

However, I am thinking about moving it over to my Trek OCLV 110 for the Six Gap Century and I have noticed that the bracket does not have room to move the FD much lower. Might have to get the Dremel tool out and open up that slot a bit more.

rcc-<< Has anyone run into shifting problems when using the
standard/road compact setups with 34/50 rings and normal
double shimano front derailuers? >><BR><BR>

Nope, works fine. Ultegra, DA, even 10s ones.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

psycholist-<< I recently had an FSA Carbon Pro Compact
crankset put on a Trek 5500 with DA 9speed group. Because
the derailleur hanger is bonded to the frame, adjustment was
limited and the derailleur cage couldn't be lowered to the
proper spacing above the large chainring. >><BR><BR>

Why not just expand the 'slot' in the der hanger. Not hard,
we do this all the time for triples and compact cranks.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

I just put an FSA compact carbon on my old Schwinn Paramount
(the last year that Waterford made them, so it's similar to
a current Waterford racing frame), and the Ultegra braze on
front derailleur shifts just fine, even though in theory it
should be mounted a bit lower.

The crank is nice and light, and 50/34 is a good combo for
me, but boy is it UGLY!

"Michael L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just put an FSA compact carbon on my old Schwinn
> Paramount (the last year that Waterford made them, so it's
> similar to a current Waterford racing frame), and the
> Ultegra braze on front derailleur shifts just fine, even
> though in theory it should be mounted a bit lower.
>
> The crank is nice and light, and 50/34 is a good combo for
> me, but boy is it UGLY!

Now that you mention it, you're right. It is kinda ugly. On
top of that, I just put a set of Avocet carbon tires on the
bike ... completely black from bead to bead. Together with
the FSA cranks makes the bike look like it should belong to
Darth Vader.

Bob C.