OT: Does anyone recognise...

Sniper8052(L96A1)

Guest
I am trying to find the location of these photographs,

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sniper8052/my_photos

there may me two locations rather than one but I have no real way of
knowing.

The photos have surfaced in the clear out of my fathers effects and are
part of a series taken by my mother's father unfortunately there is no
information on them.

The photo with the stream running through a village has a hotel in the
background with a name of Lyndale Hotel across the rear.

The other is quite legible. They are all from the same series so the
beach huts and pebble / sand may be relevant as might be the hilly terrain.

Just clutching at straws.

Date thought to be 1931/32 approx.

Sniper8052

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
> I am trying to find the location of these photographs,
>
> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sniper8052/my_photos
>
> there may me two locations rather than one but I have no real way of
> knowing.
>
> The photos have surfaced in the clear out of my fathers effects and are
> part of a series taken by my mother's father unfortunately there is no
> information on them.
>
> The photo with the stream running through a village has a hotel in the
> background with a name of Lyndale Hotel across the rear.
>
> The other is quite legible. They are all from the same series so the
> beach huts and pebble / sand may be relevant as might be the hilly terrain.
>
> Just clutching at straws.
>
> Date thought to be 1931/32 approx.
>
> Sniper8052

I _think_ it's two places. Lynmouth and Minehead, both North Devon. My
late parents used to do a lot of cycle touring in the area, and I recall
seeing similar photographs in the family albums.

Googling for these two places, together with the hotel names, backs up
my assumption...

--
MatSav

"MatSav" <"matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com">
wrote in message

> I _think_ it's two places. Lynmouth and Minehead, both North Devon. My
> late parents used to do a lot of cycle touring in the area, and I recall
> seeing similar photographs in the family albums.

Aye, The river is the Lyn, with a view to Valley of the rocks (Watersmeet)
at the rear. Been a few years since I was there myself. Not quite as long
ago as the photo though.

Jc.

Dan Gregory wrote:
> Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
>
>> I am trying to find the location of these photographs,
>>
>> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sniper8052/my_photos
>>

> The Benares Hotel is in Minehead. The river looks like Lynmouth
>
> Enjoy going through old pix. I'm currently discovering lots of my
> father's from the 20s too.

All,

Wow...Brilliant work it's great to have some places to hang some history
on. These small bits make a huge difference.

Huge Thanks

Sniper8052

Dan Gregory wrote on 13/01/2007 13:19 +0100:
> Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
>> I am trying to find the location of these photographs,
>>
>> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sniper8052/my_photos
>>

> The Benares Hotel is in Minehead. The river looks like Lynmouth
>
> Enjoy going through old pix. I'm currently discovering lots of my
> father's from the 20s too.

We found an album going through my parents' effects with family photos
going back to about 1870. We have had a similar problem of identifying
who everyone is and where they were taken so we have been cataloguing it
all for future generations. It includes the press cuttings of when my
great grandmother was run over in 1931 on Fulham Palace Road.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Tony Raven wrote:
> Dan Gregory wrote on 13/01/2007 13:19 +0100:
>
>> Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to find the location of these photographs,
>>>
>>> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sniper8052/my_photos
>>>

>> The Benares Hotel is in Minehead. The river looks like Lynmouth
>>
>> Enjoy going through old pix. I'm currently discovering lots of my
>> father's from the 20s too.

> We found an album going through my parents' effects with family photos
> going back to about 1870. We have had a similar problem of identifying
> who everyone is and where they were taken so we have been cataloguing it
> all for future generations. It includes the press cuttings of when my
> great grandmother was run over in 1931 on Fulham Palace Road.

My sister is the great archivist of the family but I am the photographer
/ retoucher of the family so I am working through making an album for
everyone. I expect there will be more difficult problems. There are a
lot of negatives without anything to identify them but some are cracking
pictures so they deserve an airing.

Like you say a challenging and important job...funny how one never
thinks of it when the people you can ask are around to help with their
memories.

Sniper8052