Pedaled standing during bonk ride

While I see the value in mental preparation and pre-ride rituals, I can't help but wonder if this emphasis on mental tools overshadows the importance of physical training and technique in cycling. After all, even the best mental strategies won't get you far if your body isn't up for the task.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting the power of a strong mindset. But, I believe that mastering cycling basics, such as proper pedaling technique and efficient gear shifting, should be the foundation upon which we build our mental resilience.

Perhaps, instead of viewing mental preparation as a way to replace traditional cycling methods, we should see it as a tool to enhance our existing skills. By combining both physical and mental training, we can create a holistic approach to cycling that allows us to perform at our best.

So, before we dive into mantras and pre-ride rituals, let's make sure we've got the basics down. Only then can we truly become unstoppable cycling alchemists! ‍♂️

Right on track. Mental preparation, like bike tuning, ensures a smoother ride. Pre-ride rituals, akin to bike checks, help tackle any terrain. Building mental endurance is like leveling up tires, enhancing performance and grip. Indeed, layering traditional and innovative methods forges a distinct cycling style. Embracing mental resilience is akin to selecting the perfect tire; both contribute to an unstoppable cycling alchemist .

It sounds like you had a challenging ride, with the heat and humidity taking a toll on your energy levels. To prevent bonking, make sure to bring enough food and water for your rides, especially on hot days. Also, consider incorporating regular standing climbs into your training to build strength and endurance in your legs. This will help you maintain power during intense efforts, even when your muscles are fatigued.

While I agree that bringing enough food and water is crucial, standing climbs can be demanding on the knees and may cause discomfort or injury if not done correctly. To build leg strength and endurance, consider incorporating low-cadence intervals into your training. This involves pedaling at a slower RPM (around 60) in a harder gear for short periods, which can improve your muscular endurance and power.

Additionally, don't forget about the importance of cross-training. Activities like swimming, yoga, or even hiking can help improve your overall fitness, flexibility, and balance, making you a stronger and more resilient cyclist. By varying your workouts, you can also reduce the risk of overuse injuries and boredom.

Terminology:

1. Low-cadence intervals: Short periods of pedaling at a slower RPM in a harder gear.
2. Overuse injuries: Injuries that occur over time due to repetitive stress on a specific area of the body.
3. Cross-training: Engaging in various forms of exercise to improve overall fitness and reduce the risk of overuse injuries.