Pinarello Sestriere or Mercian?

Simonb

Guest
This:

Or this:

This is a continuation of my bike build project. I've decided that I have
enough for a higher spec frame than I initially planned for (Fort) -- and
thought something nice in steel might last longer than alu. I'm leaning
towards the Pinarello... because it's *a Pinarello*.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, too. 'cos you know stuff about bikes and
things.

Simonb wrote:

> This:

> Or this:

> This is a continuation of my bike build project. I've decided that I have
> enough for a higher spec frame than I initially planned for (Fort) -- and
> thought something nice in steel might last longer than alu. I'm leaning
> towards the Pinarello... because it's *a Pinarello*.
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts, too. 'cos you know stuff about bikes and
> things.

I'd have one of Bob Jackson's off-the-peg frames before a Mercian. If
you really want Italian, then I think a De Rosa or a Colnago have more
class (but watch the weight of a steel Colnago - all that chrome!)

Simonb wrote:
> This:

> Or this:

> This is a continuation of my bike build project. I've decided that I
> have enough for a higher spec frame than I initially planned for
> (Fort) -- and thought something nice in steel might last longer than
> alu. I'm leaning towards the Pinarello... because it's *a Pinarello*.

I live about 10 miles away from Mercian. The bikes have an excellent
reputation locally, and you often see 40 or 50 year old examples on the CTC
rides. I don't need another bike, but if I did, I'd consider a Mercian
frame. Good reputation for repairs, as well.

The only thing against Mercian is that the staff are all twendy racers. In
my experience, normal (ok, non-optimally shaped) cyclists are treated with
disdain.

Pete.

Peter Connolly <[email protected]> wrote:
: Simonb wrote:
:> This:
:>

Personally I don't like the retro look of the Mercian, so I'd go for the
Pinatello. But that's just me. In fact, I'd buy an Al frame anyway, but
that's also just me.

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> I'd have one of Bob Jackson's off-the-peg frames before a Mercian.

Does Bob Jackson have other off-the-peg frames than those listed on the
website? I don't go for all those lugs.

> If you really want Italian, then I think a De Rosa or a Colnago have more
> class (but watch the weight of a steel Colnago - all that chrome!)

De Rosa and Colnago are a bit too expensive for me (around the £400 mark) --
unless you know otherwise?

Arthur Clune wrote:

> In fact, I'd buy an Al frame
> anyway, but that's also just me.