ping Wayne

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 09:53:46a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Sun 20 Nov 2005 01:09:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Ophelia?
>>

>>> "EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...

>>> used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have
>>> to make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it
>>> and drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and
>>> whey and you can use the whey to make scones

>> I confess that I've never ever seen curds for sale here, but that's
>> not surprising. :) There are plenty of things I can't get here that
>> are readily available in the UK. Usually one finds rennet tablets that
>> are already flavored, often raspberry, for making rennet custard. I
>> shall have to look further for the unflavored rennet. I like the idea
>> of using the whey in scones or American biscuits.

> You can sour your milk with lemon Wayne

Thanks, Ophelia. However, it looks like I have already been given two
sources for rennet. I think that's probably better, as was your first
choice too.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 02:04:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:53:46 GMT, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Cottage cheese seems a little acidic for curd cheese to me Jake

> It doesn't seem acid to me... but I wonder if it's too wet. I used to
> be able to buy somethhing that looked lik dry cottage cheese and was
> called Farmer's Cheese. I haven't seen it in a long time, though.

Farmer's cheese, among other varieties of cottage cheese, seem to longer be
sold in supermarkets (or anywhere else I've looked). I could get farmer's
cheese, dry curd cottage cheese, both of which were good for cheesecakes. My
other favorite that no longer seems to be around, was a large curd creamed
cottage cheese with added whipping cream. Sinful but delicious.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 03:35:26p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Arri
London?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Sun 20 Nov 2005 01:09:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Ophelia?
>>

>> > "EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> > message
>> > news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...

>> > used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have
>> > to make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it
>> > and drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and
>> > whey and you can use the whey to make scones

>> I confess that I've never ever seen curds for sale here, but that's not
>> surprising. :) There are plenty of things I can't get here that are
>> readily available in the UK. Usually one finds rennet tablets that are
>> already flavored, often raspberry, for making rennet custard. I shall
>> have to look further for the unflavored rennet. I like the idea of
>> using the whey in scones or American biscuits.
>>
>> Again, thank you!

> Unflavoured rennet is often sold in the same aisle as pudding mixes or
> else with the things to put on ice cream.

Yes, I used to see it in the supermarkets in Ohio. However, I looked in 2
stores this afternoon and all they had was raspberry-flavored Junket. :-(

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:23:56 GMT, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > How do you get the curds?

>> sf.. whole milk... soured with some lemon and strained
>>

> aha... do you have to leave it a certain temperature for a certain
> amount of time (treat it like yogurt) before it curdles?

Well I just hang mine up in a cloth over a bowl on the counter in the
kitchen. Dunno about the temperature.

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:23:56 GMT, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > How do you get the curds?

>> sf.. whole milk... soured with some lemon and strained
>>

> aha... do you have to leave it a certain temperature for a certain
> amount of time (treat it like yogurt) before it curdles?

Well I just hang mine up in a cloth over a bowl on the counter in the
kitchen. Dunno about the temperature.

"Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Hmm actually I think saying acidic might not be quite right, I think
>> I might have said it is too hard or lumpy.. ie strained too long.
>> Curds need to be softer.

> I don't suppose the curds are at all like ricotta cheese?

Hmm good question. Ricotta means twice cooked and is made from the whey
from which the curds have been removed. So perhaps not

"Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Hmm actually I think saying acidic might not be quite right, I think
>> I might have said it is too hard or lumpy.. ie strained too long.
>> Curds need to be softer.

> I don't suppose the curds are at all like ricotta cheese?

Hmm good question. Ricotta means twice cooked and is made from the whey
from which the curds have been removed. So perhaps not

On 21 Nov 2005 03:13:45 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun 20 Nov 2005 03:35:26p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Arri
>London?
>

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun 20 Nov 2005 01:09:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>> Ophelia?

>>> I confess that I've never ever seen curds for sale here, but that's not
>>> surprising. :) There are plenty of things I can't get here that are
>>> readily available in the UK. Usually one finds rennet tablets that are
>>> already flavored, often raspberry, for making rennet custard. I shall
>>> have to look further for the unflavored rennet. I like the idea of
>>> using the whey in scones or American biscuits.
>>>
>>> Again, thank you!

>> Unflavoured rennet is often sold in the same aisle as pudding mixes or
>> else with the things to put on ice cream.
>>

>Yes, I used to see it in the supermarkets in Ohio. However, I looked in 2
>stores this afternoon and all they had was raspberry-flavored Junket. :-(

The raspberry Junket makes a great dessert. Top with a custard sauce
and it is great.
--
Susan N.

On Mon 21 Nov 2005 05:52:18a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Cook?

(

> The raspberry Junket makes a great dessert. Top with a custard sauce
> and it is great.

Oh, I'm not knocking Junket. I like it. Just not what I need for the curd
cheesecake. :) I never thought of topping the Junket with a custard
sauce. Even better! Thanks.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 20 Nov 2005 03:35:26p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Arri
> London?
>

> > Unflavoured rennet is often sold in the same aisle as pudding mixes or
> > else with the things to put on ice cream.
> >

> Yes, I used to see it in the supermarkets in Ohio. However, I looked in 2
> stores this afternoon and all they had was raspberry-flavored Junket. :-(

We don't even get raspberry Junket tablets around here. Just as well, as
they must be artificially flavoured then.
Get thee to a whole/health food shop then. Should have plain rennet in
liquid or solid form.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 20 Nov 2005 03:35:26p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Arri
> London?
>

> > Unflavoured rennet is often sold in the same aisle as pudding mixes or
> > else with the things to put on ice cream.
> >

> Yes, I used to see it in the supermarkets in Ohio. However, I looked in 2
> stores this afternoon and all they had was raspberry-flavored Junket. :-(

We don't even get raspberry Junket tablets around here. Just as well, as
they must be artificially flavoured then.
Get thee to a whole/health food shop then. Should have plain rennet in
liquid or solid form.

On Mon 21 Nov 2005 03:54:18p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Arri
London?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Sun 20 Nov 2005 03:35:26p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Arri
>> London?
>>

>> > Unflavoured rennet is often sold in the same aisle as pudding mixes or
>> > else with the things to put on ice cream.
>> >

>> Yes, I used to see it in the supermarkets in Ohio. However, I looked in

2
>> stores this afternoon and all they had was raspberry-flavored Junket. :-

(

> We don't even get raspberry Junket tablets around here. Just as well, as
> they must be artificially flavoured then.
> Get thee to a whole/health food shop then. Should have plain rennet in
> liquid or solid form.

It probably is artifically flavoured, Arri. I didn't buy it, although I've
eaten it years ago and thought it tasty.

Thanks for the idea of a whole/health food type shop. I didn't think of
that, and was getting ready to order a liquid online. From what I've read,
it takes very little, only a 1/4 teaspoon to clabber 2 galllons of milk. I
will only need to use a few drops. The tablets are also said to be less
reliable than the liquid.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

"Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:23:56 GMT, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> >> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> sf.. whole milk... soured with some lemon and strained
> >>

> > aha... do you have to leave it a certain temperature for a certain
> > amount of time (treat it like yogurt) before it curdles?

> Well I just hang mine up in a cloth over a bowl on the counter in the
> kitchen. Dunno about the temperature.

Is this not the way that Paneer is made?

Shaun aRe

"Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > aha... do you have to leave it a certain temperature for a certain
>> > amount of time (treat it like yogurt) before it curdles?

>> Well I just hang mine up in a cloth over a bowl on the counter in the
>> kitchen. Dunno about the temperature.

> Is this not the way that Paneer is made?

I don't know Shaun.. I have never had it

"Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Well I just hang mine up in a cloth over a bowl on the counter in the
> >> kitchen. Dunno about the temperature.

> > Is this not the way that Paneer is made?

> I don't know Shaun.. I have never had it

Well, looks more or less like the same trick!:

"
PANEER -- DIFFERENT NAMES and TASTE ONE
Paneer in India, cottage cheese elsewhere, Milky Cheese too -
the name are many. Yet the taste is one -- delicious.
Paneer or cottage cheese is a fresh, delicate cheese made from
low fat milk, without involving long, complicated procedures. Paneer is a
rich store-house of nutritions. Easy to make and easy to digest, paneer is
used in the Indian home of every region, in some form or other. Be it the
realm of sweets, snacks or gravied vegetables, the versatility of paneer is
marvellous.

Paneer is a dairy product. It made by curdling milk, tying the
chenna (residence) in cloth and placing under pressure to solidify. With
experience, you can make homemade paneer from the given recipe, which would
probably outdo most readymade ones. If the first time results are not upto
mark, don't give up. Use washed paneer recipes and use it up. Then try & try
again till you perfect the fine art of paneer making.

How to make Paneer

Ingredients

Milk - 1 litre
Citric Acid or Lemon (juice) - 1/2 tsp
Water - 2 tbsp

Method

Dissolve the citric acid in water.
Bring milk to boil, stirring continuously.
Add the acid solution gradually, while stirring.
When the milk curdles fully, switch off the gas.
Cover for 3-4 minutes.
Drain into a muslin cloth.
Hold pouch under running water.
Press out excess water.
Shape and place cloth under heavy weight required (stone slab)
for 2-3 hours before using as required.

Check few Paneer recipes and tips on paner cooking from Saroj's
cookbook."

From the firsy link I found on Google:
http://www.bawarchi.com/features/feature6.html

Cool!

PANEER -- DIFFERENT NAMES and TASTE ONE

<excellent stuff snipped>

Thanks Shaun:) It certainly does sound similar:)) I don't put my curds
under pressure though. I just allow to drain overnight and use them
fairly loose.

Ophelia wrote:
> "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>>"EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>>message
>>>news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...

>>>used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have
>>>make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it
>>>and
>>>drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and whey
>>>and you can use the whey to make scones
>>>

>>I add vinegar to milk, heat it and wind up with curd? or cottage
>>cheese?
>>
>>I suspect the curd in the recipes could be replaced by cottaeg cheese.
>>Does anyone know?

> Cottage cheese seems a little acidic for curd cheese to me Jake

That may very well be. I've enver seen curd of the sort that seems to be
discussed here. Í suspect it isnt availbale in teh shops. However, I've
never found that cottage cheese tastes acidic I don't know if you wre
referring to flavor or ph-values). I once baked an apple cake that
included cottage cheese. I liked it..

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> That may very well be. I've enver seen curd of the sort that seems to
> be discussed here. Í suspect it isnt availbale in teh shops.

I haven't seen curd for sale for many years which is why I make my own

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Ophelia wrote:

> "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > That may very well be. I've enver seen curd of the sort that seems to
> > be discussed here. Í suspect it isnt availbale in teh shops.

> I haven't seen curd for sale for many years which is why I make my own

Here in the USA, cottage cheese is curds and whey. "Large curd" cottage
cheese can be drained and washed of the whey for curds.

Elaine, too

"Elaine Parrish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Ophelia wrote:

> "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > That may very well be. I've enver seen curd of the sort that seems
> > be discussed here. Í suspect it isnt availbale in teh shops.

> I haven't seen curd for sale for many years which is why I make my own

Here in the USA, cottage cheese is curds and whey. "Large curd" cottage
cheese can be drained and washed of the whey for curds.

you are lucky:))