Post (severe) knee injury recovery

Mark Mitchell

Guest

On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:07:14 +0000, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> On Jun 25, '03, I jumped from a 5' high platform and
> landed badly with my full weight on my left leg. I'm told
> that my leg visibly bowed inward. I ended up with a spiral
> fracture of the tibia (shinbone) and a collapsed tibial
> plateau. In other words, the top of my shinbone, where it
> connects with the knee was granola.
>
> So far, I'm recovering fairly well, I walk with no real
> problem (but with a visible limp), but endurance is a
> problem with both of these activities. My left knee is
> also much weaker than the right. I can climb stairs but
> if I try to step up onto a surface much higher than the
> standard stair riser, I can only put down about 120lbs
> of force.
>
> Prior to the accident, I was an occasional rider but now
> I'm trying to ride as much as I can both on the road and
> stationary. I can manage about 30mins a ride before my
> knee tells me to stop.
>
> The biggest weird thing I'm noticing is that if I ride for
> about 30mins on the road (low speed), or on the stationary
> for about an hour, after I stop my knee feels loose.
> Especially when I'm transferring weight *off* the bad leg.
>
> Is there anyone here who's had similar symptoms/injuries?
>
> Any input appreciated.
>
> Mark

Sounds like you stretched some knee ligaments when you had
your accident; also the tibial plateau collapsing might
leave the knee-joint cavity unusually wide. Usual remedy is
first physiotherapy etc to strengthen the muscles. After
maximum improvement from such conservative measures, surgery
might be considered eg tibial osteotomy (re-angulating the
tibia) or repair of the medial collateral or anterior
cruciate ligaments. Presumably you are under the care of the
appropriate people? Most people come somewhat right without
further operations, and one cannot expect too much
improvement from surgery. Peter

--
This transmission is certified free of viruses as no
Microsoft products were used in its preparation or

Mark Mitchell <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Jun 25, '03, I jumped from a 5' high platform and
> landed badly with my full weight on my left leg. I'm told
> that my leg visibly bowed inward. I ended up with a spiral
> fracture of the tibia (shinbone) and a collapsed tibial
> plateau. In other words, the top of my shinbone, where it
> connects with the knee was granola.
>
> So far, I'm recovering fairly well, I walk with no real
> problem (but with a visible limp), but endurance is a
> problem with both of these activities. My left knee is
> also much weaker than the right. I can climb stairs but
> if I try to step up onto a surface much higher than the
> standard stair riser, I can only put down about 120lbs
> of force.
>
> Prior to the accident, I was an occasional rider but now
> I'm trying to ride as much as I can both on the road and
> stationary. I can manage about 30mins a ride before my
> knee tells me to stop.
>
> The biggest weird thing I'm noticing is that if I ride for
> about 30mins on the road (low speed), or on the stationary
> for about an hour, after I stop my knee feels loose.
> Especially when I'm transferring weight *off* the bad leg.
>
> Is there anyone here who's had similar symptoms/injuries?
>
> Any input appreciated.
>
> Mark

I had a similar injury from a motorcycle accident in 2000,
with similar results. The ACL was stretched and torn about
halfway through, shin bone split through from the top of the
plateau then out to the side about 5 inches down. I had much
improvement in the second year (much more than I thought
there would be), so take heart. It's still quite loose, and
sometimes pops and catches if I move wrong, but it seems the
more I keep the muscle tone up, the more controlled the
loosness is. I started MTB and trail riding last year and
now have ridden up to 4 hours/40 miles. I try to walk a 2.5
mile loop and/or excercise on my goofy HealthRider several
times a week. It helps to try and get your weight down a
little, too, if that's an issue (was for me). My doc said
Joe Namath had no ligaments left in his knees, and he made
it through with muscle control. A friend of mine also had a
similar break (and a broken arm thrown in for good measure)
from a horseback riding accident in '01, and also showed
substantial improvement the second year. So keep your chin
up and good luck.

--
Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

I had a motorcycle accident 2 years ago where I broke the
tibial plateau and tore/stretched the ACL. They sewed the
plateau back on. It fells better now than a year ago,
better a year ago than two years ago. I find that the only
time it feels "normal" is when I ride a lot. Strong leg
muscles are the key.