Question - Mavic Open Pro CD rim 32 hole - rear

On Jun 27, 9:18 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 27, 8:13 am, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > kwalters wrote:
> > > Adequate for a 185# rider who slows down for RR tracks
> > > and dodges potholes? Open to other possibilities, but
> > > would like to keep the Open Pro profile so I can hopefully
> > > use my existing spokes.

> > > Thanks. Ken

> > > And, any guess as to what kind of rim longevity I might
> > > expect? Just went thru an MA-3 in a dishearteningly short
> > > time.

> > Just another data point: I'm 225lb and have had good luck with Open
> > Pro's (although I think they're overpriced). I too have been forced to
> > re-rim with Mavic just to save the spokes. I don't think there's any
> > reason to re-spoke, since spokes should last through many rims. FWIW,
> > the MA-3 was known to have problems.

> overpriced ?

"overpriced" relative to the competition, yes.

> think of what you are getting for that money, how many
> hours and hours of riding is bought with that money ? I don't know
> why, but I think us cyclists are about the cheapest folk on the
> planet- but really, when you look at cycling from the point of view of
> how far you can go and how many hours of enjoyment you can spend for
> that little money it's a bargain beyond compare, right up there with
> free water. just my opinion.-

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> On Jun 27, 9:18 am, [email protected] wrote:

>>> Just another data point: I'm 225lb and have had good luck with
>>> Open Pro's (although I think they're overpriced). I too have been
>>> forced to re-rim with Mavic just to save the spokes. I don't think
>>> there's any reason to re-spoke, since spokes should last through
>>> many rims. FWIW, the MA-3 was known to have problems.

>> overpriced ?

> "overpriced" relative to the competition, yes.

Well, they're "priced", period. Until they fishhook money from your wallet,
forcing you to buy something, it's willing buyer and willing seller. If
they were really priced beyond what people would pay for them, they would be
excess inventory. To blame marketing is to blame, at the same time, the
failure of communication (marketing, by another term) on the part of Mavic's
competitors. And none of this at all is a big deal. We're talking about
riding a bike, right?
--
Sandy
--

On Jun 27, 12:21 pm, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dans le message denews:[email protected],
> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, etpuis a
> déclaré :

> >> overpriced ?

> > "overpriced" relative to the competition, yes.

> Well, they're "priced", period.

Quite. And "priced" higher than comparable rims from other rim makers.
Taking a wild-ass guess, I would say that is what Mr. Cole meant when
he wrote "I think they're ["they" being Mavic rims] overpriced.".

> Until they fishhook money from your wallet,
> forcing you to buy something, it's willing buyer and willing seller. If
> they were really priced beyond what people would pay for them, they wouldbe
> excess inventory. To blame marketing is to blame, at the same time, the
> failure of communication (marketing, by another term) on the part of Mavic's
> competitors. And none of this at all is a big deal. We're talking about
> riding a bike, right?
> --

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> On Jun 27, 12:21 pm, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dans le message
>> denews:[email protected], Ozark
>> Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis
>> a déclaré :

>>> "overpriced" relative to the competition, yes.

>> Well, they're "priced", period.

> Quite. And "priced" higher than comparable rims from other rim makers.
> Taking a wild-ass guess, I would say that is what Mr. Cole meant when
> he wrote "I think they're ["they" being Mavic rims] overpriced.".

Still not right. Your first sentence leaves one with the logical conclusion
that they are higher priced, only. Something like hamburger, where 20% fat
is cheaper than 10% fat. Value judgments come in when you personally decide
that the higher price is not justifiable for your budget. Reality shows
that prices will decline when the price asked is higher than what people are
willing to pay (or when they are compelled to pay, as in a monopoly
situation). That is when they are overpriced, and remain in inventory until
adjusted downwards to a level where there is a parallel substitute. It's
economics, not evangelism.

On Jun 27, 1:16 pm, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dans le message denews:[email protected],
> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, etpuis a
> déclaré :
>

> > On Jun 27, 12:21 pm, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Dans le message
> >> denews:[email protected], Ozark
> >> Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis
> >> a déclaré :

> >> Well, they're "priced", period.

> > Quite. And "priced" higher than comparable rims from other rim makers.
> > Taking a wild-ass guess, I would say that is what Mr. Cole meant when
> > he wrote "I think they're ["they" being Mavic rims] overpriced.".

> Still not right. Your first sentence leaves one with the logical conclusion
> that they are higher priced, only. Something like hamburger, where 20% fat
> is cheaper than 10% fat. Value judgments come in when you personally decide
> that the higher price is not justifiable for your budget. Reality shows
> that prices will decline when the price asked is higher than what people are
> willing to pay (or when they are compelled to pay, as in a monopoly
> situation). That is when they are overpriced, and remain in inventory until
> adjusted downwards to a level where there is a parallel substitute. It's
> economics, not evangelism.-

Lesseee....Peter Cole opined that Mavic rims are "overpriced". I
explain the idea to another poster (IOW, that they are "overpriced"
relative to the competition) and *you* get your chamois all in a wad.
Why is that? Do you hold stock in Salomon? Just trying to justify you
own purchases? Feeling the need to defend French interests? Something
else?

Look, Sandy, if you think Mavic rims are good value, snap up as many
as you want. Those who find them "overpriced" will look elsewhere.

- 30 -

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> On Jun 27, 1:16 pm, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dans le message
>> denews:[email protected], Ozark
>> Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis
>> a déclaré :

>>> Quite. And "priced" higher than comparable rims from other rim
>>> makers. Taking a wild-ass guess, I would say that is what Mr. Cole
>>> meant when he wrote "I think they're ["they" being Mavic rims]
>>> overpriced.".

>> Still not right. Your first sentence leaves one with the logical
>> conclusion that they are higher priced, only. Something like
>> hamburger, where 20% fat is cheaper than 10% fat. Value judgments
>> come in when you personally decide that the higher price is not
>> justifiable for your budget. Reality shows that prices will decline
>> when the price asked is higher than what people are willing to pay
>> (or when they are compelled to pay, as in a monopoly situation).
>> That is when they are overpriced, and remain in inventory until
>> adjusted downwards to a level where there is a parallel substitute.
>> It's economics, not evangelism.-

> Lesseee....Peter Cole opined that Mavic rims are "overpriced". I
> explain the idea to another poster (IOW, that they are "overpriced"
> relative to the competition) and *you* get your chamois all in a wad.
> Why is that? Do you hold stock in Salomon? Just trying to justify you
> own purchases? Feeling the need to defend French interests? Something
> else?

Silly to accuse me of having a background interest. But you still miss the
difference. Calling something overpriced, when that product sells
satisfactorily to the seller's expectations, amounts to an opinion, _poorly_
based on available facts. It's like saying that a Corvette is an overpriced
automobile. The narrow, retrenched, pseudo-popular "wisdom" in this forum
fails constantly to meet up with the world. Every sort of grouch, retro- or
not, gets to spout off, but pointing out facts to those who inquire seems a
fair thing to do. For my experience, this forum regales in touting cliquish
opinions as facts and building a whole "myth and lore" from them. Like
about connecting links. I think there's a new bit of whole cloth being spun
there....

On Jun 27, 6:13 am, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> kwalters wrote:
> > Adequate for a 185# rider who slows down for RR tracks
> > and dodges potholes? Open to other possibilities, but
> > would like to keep the Open Pro profile so I can hopefully
> > use my existing spokes.

> > Thanks. Ken

> > And, any guess as to what kind of rim longevity I might
> > expect? Just went thru an MA-3 in a dishearteningly short
> > time.

> Just another data point: I'm 225lb and have had good luck with Open
> Pro's (although I think they're overpriced). I too have been forced to
> re-rim with Mavic just to save the spokes. I don't think there's any
> reason to re-spoke, since spokes should last through many rims. FWIW,
> the MA-3 was known to have problems.

I've also re-rimed wheels. It is less work. I tape an existing wheel
to a new rim, and transfer spokes. I've had no problems with spokes. I
have had problems with rims craking at the eyelets, mavic reflex and
maxic cxp 21. I haven't used a tensiometer, cause I don't have one. I
havent' bought one becaue I woulnd't use it that often anyways. I used
to assume that you could put lots of tension in the spokes and they
rims wouldn't crack. Well, I guess that this is not the case.

Andres

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> On Jun 27, 8:13 am, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> > kwalters wrote:
> > > Adequate for a 185# rider who slows down for RR tracks
> > > and dodges potholes? Open to other possibilities, but
> > > would like to keep the Open Pro profile so I can hopefully
> > > use my existing spokes.

> > > Thanks. Ken

> > > And, any guess as to what kind of rim longevity I might
> > > expect? Just went thru an MA-3 in a dishearteningly short
> > > time.

> > Just another data point: I'm 225lb and have had good luck with Open
> > Pro's (although I think they're overpriced). I too have been forced to
> > re-rim with Mavic just to save the spokes. I don't think there's any
> > reason to re-spoke, since spokes should last through many rims. FWIW,
> > the MA-3 was known to have problems.

> overpriced ? think of what you are getting for that money, how many
> hours and hours of riding is bought with that money ? I don't know
> why, but I think us cyclists are about the cheapest folk on the
> planet- but really, when you look at cycling from the point of view of
> how far you can go and how many hours of enjoyment you can spend for
> that little money it's a bargain beyond compare, right up there with
> free water. just my opinion.

Yes, bicycling is not ocean racing. Being cheap, I will
continue to hold out for robust equipment at a price I
know is fair; a price that supports manufacture and
distribution.

--
Michael Press

On Jun 27, 10:17 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >> and the question to both of you is, what was your spoke tension? did
> >> you use a tensiometer?- Hide quoted text -

> > don't know, this was before tensionmeters were invented....but I was
> > handbuilding my wheels thanx to jobst' book, tensioning by feel, dt
> > double butted spokes- wheels held true till the rim would crack- oh, a
> > LOT of kms about 2000kms per month - more in the summer, less in winter

> so why is it that /i/ who builds with a tensiometer, and who weighs
> #205-#210, has never had a cracked rim in a normal wheel? the only rim
> i've ever cracked is where spoke tension was above 2000N.- Hide quoted text -

luck of the gods perhaps ? I don't know; the only cracking I
experenced was at the rim flange- but I did have a wheel blow up on me
too; short ride to work, go in for a few minutes, come out 15 minutes
later and the rear wheel is in pieces- I think that's when I decided
to not go to 120psi as a rule.

On Jun 27, 1:13 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 6:13 am, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > kwalters wrote:
> > > Adequate for a 185# rider who slows down for RR tracks
> > > and dodges potholes? Open to other possibilities, but
> > > would like to keep the Open Pro profile so I can hopefully
> > > use my existing spokes.

> > > Thanks. Ken

> > > And, any guess as to what kind of rim longevity I might
> > > expect? Just went thru an MA-3 in a dishearteningly short
> > > time.

> > Just another data point: I'm 225lb and have had good luck with Open
> > Pro's (although I think they're overpriced). I too have been forced to
> > re-rim with Mavic just to save the spokes. I don't think there's any
> > reason to re-spoke, since spokes should last through many rims. FWIW,
> > the MA-3 was known to have problems.

> I've also re-rimed wheels. It is less work. I tape an existing wheel
> to a new rim, and transfer spokes. I've had no problems with spokes. I
> have had problems with rims craking at the eyelets, mavic reflex and
> maxic cxp 21. I haven't used a tensiometer, cause I don't have one. I
> havent' bought one becaue I woulnd't use it that often anyways. I used
> to assume that you could put lots of tension in the spokes and they
> rims wouldn't crack. Well, I guess that this is not the case.

Not anymore! I bought a tensiometer because it was apparent to me
that my historically optimal tensions were cracking rims. Now I
follow manufacturers suggested tensions plus about 10% because of my
weight. If that fails, I'm going to use Loctite or linseed oil.

A tensiometer was a good investment for me. I live in a neighborhood
with other bicyclists and it has become the communal tensiometer. My
riding buddy lives about four houses away, and he drops by for tools
rather than cups of sugar, etc. He is a mechanical engineer for Yakima
and gives me rack parts, so it all works out. He also gets pro deals
and has an uber-expensive bike that weighs about a pound, but he is
still racing and can justify it, sort of. -- Jay Beattie.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dans le message de
> news:[email protected],
> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
> déclaré :
> > On Jun 27, 1:16 pm, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Dans le message
> >> denews:[email protected], Ozark
> >> Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis
> >> a déclaré :

> >> Still not right. Your first sentence leaves one with the logical
> >> conclusion that they are higher priced, only. Something like
> >> hamburger, where 20% fat is cheaper than 10% fat. Value judgments
> >> come in when you personally decide that the higher price is not
> >> justifiable for your budget. Reality shows that prices will decline
> >> when the price asked is higher than what people are willing to pay
> >> (or when they are compelled to pay, as in a monopoly situation).
> >> That is when they are overpriced, and remain in inventory until
> >> adjusted downwards to a level where there is a parallel substitute.
> >> It's economics, not evangelism.-

> > Lesseee....Peter Cole opined that Mavic rims are "overpriced". I
> > explain the idea to another poster (IOW, that they are "overpriced"
> > relative to the competition) and *you* get your chamois all in a wad.
> > Why is that? Do you hold stock in Salomon? Just trying to justify you
> > own purchases? Feeling the need to defend French interests? Something
> > else?

> Silly to accuse me of having a background interest. But you still miss the
> difference. Calling something overpriced, when that product sells
> satisfactorily to the seller's expectations, amounts to an opinion, _poorly_
> based on available facts. It's like saying that a Corvette is an overpriced
> automobile. The narrow, retrenched, pseudo-popular "wisdom" in this forum
> fails constantly to meet up with the world. Every sort of grouch, retro- or
> not, gets to spout off, but pointing out facts to those who inquire seems a
> fair thing to do. For my experience, this forum regales in touting cliquish
> opinions as facts and building a whole "myth and lore" from them. Like
> about connecting links. I think there's a new bit of whole cloth being spun
> there....

Yarn is spun, cloth is woven.

By the numbers:
Mavic rims are not superior to all rims out there.
Many rims are superior to Mavic rims.
Many rims superior to Mavic rims cost less. (perhaps all)
By this definition of over-priced, Mavis rims are over-priced.

By Mavic's definition of over-priced, their rims are not overpriced.

--
Michael Press

On Jun 27, 6:54 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>

> "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Dans le message de
> >news:[email protected],
> > Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
> > déclaré :

> > > Lesseee....Peter Cole opined that Mavic rims are "overpriced". I
> > > explain the idea to another poster (IOW, that they are "overpriced"
> > > relative to the competition) and *you* get your chamois all in a wad.
> > > Why is that? Do you hold stock in Salomon? Just trying to justify you
> > > own purchases? Feeling the need to defend French interests? Something
> > > else?

> > Silly to accuse me of having a background interest. But you still missthe
> > difference. Calling something overpriced, when that product sells
> > satisfactorily to the seller's expectations, amounts to an opinion, _poorly_
> > based on available facts. It's like saying that a Corvette is an overpriced
> > automobile. The narrow, retrenched, pseudo-popular "wisdom" in this forum
> > fails constantly to meet up with the world. Every sort of grouch, retro- or
> > not, gets to spout off, but pointing out facts to those who inquire seems a
> > fair thing to do. For my experience, this forum regales in touting cliquish
> > opinions as facts and building a whole "myth and lore" from them. Like
> > about connecting links. I think there's a new bit of whole cloth beingspun
> > there....

> Yarn is spun, cloth is woven.
>
> By the numbers:
> Mavic rims are not superior to all rims out there.
> Many rims are superior to Mavic rims.
> Many rims superior to Mavic rims cost less. (perhaps all)
> By this definition of over-priced, Mavis rims are over-priced.

Very well said, sir!

> By Mavic's definition of over-priced, their rims are not overpriced.

But, then again, what is? ;-)

On Jun 27, 6:54 pm, Michael Press wrote:
> By the numbers:
> Mavic rims are not superior to all rims out there.
> Many rims are superior to Mavic rims.
> Many rims superior to Mavic rims cost less. (perhaps all)
> By this definition of over-priced, Mavis rims are over-priced.

How dare you call Mavic rims overpriced, when they blow Sun and Alex
rims out of the water (so to speak) on the all important category of
EUROPEAN MYSTIQUE & HERITAGE [TM]?

jim beam wrote:
> Colin Campbell wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> you aren't going to help things re-using old spokes. the open pro is
>>> excellent but a bit weak, I used to ride them about 10 years ago when
>>> I was about 150lbs, and they would last up to a year before cracking
>>> at the rim from tire psi (100-110)
>>>

>> I had a beautiful pair of Open Pro blue anodized rims on my bike. I
>> had a spoke break, and "semi-trued" the wheel so I could get to the
>> bike shop. The owner congratulated me on my work, but said there was
>> a crack at one spoke hole.
>>
>> By then, Mavic had stopped making the blue rims, so I got talked into
>> a silver one. Soon, spokes were popping, and after about the third
>> try at fixing the problem, we looked really closely at the rim. No
>> fewer than ten of the spoke holes showed cracks!
>>
>> I ended up with a Velocity Areo blue rim in the rear - not an exact
>> match in color, but close enough, and no problems. The Mavic rim
>> soldiers on in front....
>>
>> By the way, I was a 190 lb rider at the time; I'm now a sub-180 lb rider.

> and the question to both of you is, what was your spoke tension? did
> you use a tensiometer?

I used a reputable local bike shop, which had previously built me
bulletproof wheels. (There was a change of ownership, and the previous
owner built the original Mavic Open Pro blue / Campy Record / DT Swiss
wheel. Other people worked on the silver / Campy / DT wheel.)

Johnny Sunset wrote:
> On Jun 26, 11:35 pm, "jim beam" wrote:
>
>>Johnny Sunset wrote:

>>>Well, the spokes in question have already outlasted one rim. If they
>>>last at least as long as the replacement rim (an excellent possibility
>>>if rim brakes are used and the bike is sometimes ridden in the rain,
>>>and a good possibility anyhow, the savings in time and money would be
>>>worth it, compared to replacing the spokes.

>>>Even if a spoke or two broke over the life of the replacement rim, the
>>>bike could likely still be ridden well enough to get home.

>>>Pace mr. beam, but just because Jobst Brandt advocates an idea, does
>>>not a priori make it a bad one.

>>correct, but the logic is wrong. /your/ logic is dead right. /his/
>>logic is that the spokes have somehow been "cured" of their disease,
>>which is pure b.s.

> Whether Jobst Brandt's theory of stress relief is correct or "jim
> beam's" argument for better quality steel, or a combination of the two
> for the improved durability of spokes does not matter much in this
> case. Decent quality stainless steel spokes will generally outlast a
> rim used with rim brakes. Therefore, I will continue to dissent from
> "raam's" comment that "you aren't going to help things re-using old
> spokes", assuming the original poster's spokes are reasonable quality.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Spokes are DT 14/15, don't know if a tensiometer was used; it was
built by a respected local shop. The MA-3 was a replacement for an
MA-40 that had many miles on it, including a van-supported 2900 mile
xc ride two years ago. The current MA-3 gave out in less than 2000
miles, so maybe it was over(/under)-tensioned.

Ken

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
Michael Press <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Dans le message de
>> news:[email protected],
>> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi,
>> et puis a déclaré :

>>> Lesseee....Peter Cole opined that Mavic rims are "overpriced". I
>>> explain the idea to another poster (IOW, that they are "overpriced"
>>> relative to the competition) and *you* get your chamois all in a
>>> wad. Why is that? Do you hold stock in Salomon? Just trying to
>>> justify you own purchases? Feeling the need to defend French
>>> interests? Something else?

>> Silly to accuse me of having a background interest. But you still
>> miss the difference. Calling something overpriced, when that
>> product sells satisfactorily to the seller's expectations, amounts
>> to an opinion, _poorly_ based on available facts. It's like saying
>> that a Corvette is an overpriced automobile. The narrow,
>> retrenched, pseudo-popular "wisdom" in this forum fails constantly
>> to meet up with the world. Every sort of grouch, retro- or not,
>> gets to spout off, but pointing out facts to those who inquire seems
>> a fair thing to do. For my experience, this forum regales in
>> touting cliquish opinions as facts and building a whole "myth and
>> lore" from them. Like about connecting links. I think there's a
>> new bit of whole cloth being spun there....

> Yarn is spun, cloth is woven.
>
> By the numbers:
> Mavic rims are not superior to all rims out there.
> Many rims are superior to Mavic rims.
> Many rims superior to Mavic rims cost less. (perhaps all)
> By this definition of over-priced, Mavis rims are over-priced.

OK, so you're yet another evangelist. Your last and crowning sentence just
had a logical hernia - inoperable - fatal.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> On Jun 26, 3:51 pm, kwalters <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Adequate for a 185# rider who slows down for RR tracks
>>and dodges potholes? Open to other possibilities, but
>>would like to keep the Open Pro profile so I can hopefully
>>use my existing spokes.
>>
>>Thanks. Ken
>>
>>And, any guess as to what kind of rim longevity I might
>>expect? Just went thru an MA-3 in a dishearteningly short
>>time.

> BTW-Just built another set of DT rr 1.1(dbl eyelet) wheels last night
> and once more I am very impressed by their quality..well worth the $5
> more than OpenPro..wish they made a 36h tho-

Can you speak to the longevity of DT rr?
Ken

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dans le message de
> news:[email protected],
> Michael Press <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Dans le message de
> >> news:[email protected],
> >> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi,
> >> et puis a déclaré :

> >> Silly to accuse me of having a background interest. But you still
> >> miss the difference. Calling something overpriced, when that
> >> product sells satisfactorily to the seller's expectations, amounts
> >> to an opinion, _poorly_ based on available facts. It's like saying
> >> that a Corvette is an overpriced automobile. The narrow,
> >> retrenched, pseudo-popular "wisdom" in this forum fails constantly
> >> to meet up with the world. Every sort of grouch, retro- or not,
> >> gets to spout off, but pointing out facts to those who inquire seems
> >> a fair thing to do. For my experience, this forum regales in
> >> touting cliquish opinions as facts and building a whole "myth and
> >> lore" from them. Like about connecting links. I think there's a
> >> new bit of whole cloth being spun there....

> > Yarn is spun, cloth is woven.
> >
> > By the numbers:
> > Mavic rims are not superior to all rims out there.
> > Many rims are superior to Mavic rims.
> > Many rims superior to Mavic rims cost less. (perhaps all)
> > By this definition of over-priced, Mavis rims are over-priced.

> OK, so you're yet another evangelist. Your last and crowning sentence just
> had a logical hernia - inoperable - fatal.

By your lights, I am always wrong. Yes, dear.

--
Michael Press

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:06:24 +0200, Sandy wrote:

> Dans le message de
> news:[email protected],
> Michael Press <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dans le message de
>>> news:[email protected],
>>> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi,
>>> et puis a déclaré :

>>> Silly to accuse me of having a background interest. But you still
>>> miss the difference. Calling something overpriced, when that
>>> product sells satisfactorily to the seller's expectations, amounts
>>> to an opinion, _poorly_ based on available facts. It's like saying
>>> that a Corvette is an overpriced automobile. The narrow,
>>> retrenched, pseudo-popular "wisdom" in this forum fails constantly
>>> to meet up with the world. Every sort of grouch, retro- or not,
>>> gets to spout off, but pointing out facts to those who inquire seems
>>> a fair thing to do. For my experience, this forum regales in
>>> touting cliquish opinions as facts and building a whole "myth and
>>> lore" from them. Like about connecting links. I think there's a
>>> new bit of whole cloth being spun there....

>> Yarn is spun, cloth is woven.
>>
>> By the numbers:
>> Mavic rims are not superior to all rims out there.
>> Many rims are superior to Mavic rims.
>> Many rims superior to Mavic rims cost less. (perhaps all)
>> By this definition of over-priced, Mavis rims are over-priced.

> OK, so you're yet another evangelist. Your last and crowning sentence just
> had a logical hernia - inoperable - fatal.

Your argument seems to be couched in the language of economics -- if a
product clears the market, then by definition it is not overpriced.
Frankly, I'm not sure that even an economist would agree with you. It
seems to me that economists regularly talk about things like whether we're
in the middle of a housing bubble, whether the stock market is overvalued,
and so on and so forth. Those sorts of discussions wouldn't make any sense
if economists always believed that the market price was the best measure
of an asset's value. Furthermore, economists often talk about
externalities -- costs that aren't adequately reflected in the market
price.

But let's leave behind economics. This is a forum about bicycle
technology. When someone says that something is overpriced, they usually
mean that it's price is not in keeping with the product's technological
merits. Whether consumers would pay a premium because it's the same
product that Lance used is generally not our concern. If you use a little
common sense, instead of an a priori definition of "overpriced" that few
people share with you, then you probably won't have such trouble
understanding what people mean.

"kwalters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Can you speak to the longevity of DT rr?
> Ken

For a 160 lb rider would the single or double eyelet be better I wonder.
Jim Young advises single for riders under 180 but I wonder if the double
would be better insurance against cracking. What's 40 more grams?

Tim McTeague