Re: 25-30 km/h: 700*23 or 28 Which is better?

landotter

Guest
On Apr 30, 2:50 pm, N8N <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 1:58 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 29, 12:20 pm, Mirco Zorzo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Hi, looking for long ride with less effort which of this tyre size is
> > > better for minimize the combination of rolling resistance and aerodynamics?

> > Aerodynamics don't matter unless you're riding at pro levels. Choose
> > 28mm tires if you want a little more comfort over rough roads, pinch
> > flat protection, or you are a heavier rider. I'm not going to comment
> > on the rolling resistance but to say that "garden hose" type tires
> > certainly are palpably slow, some kevlar belted tires can feel slow,
> > but supple and reasonably narrow tires of various brands will all roll
> > very well, red ones slightly better than most.

> Is that something like "stickers add 10 HP" or is there really
> something about current red-colored tread compounds that reduce
> hysteresis or otherwise reduce rolling resistance?

It's a color shift thing!

> Just curious, as I'm currently running 700Cx32s so this discussion is
> pretty academic at the moment (and I'm not sure with my impressive,
> um, muscle mass <G> if a significantly narrower tire would be a good
> idea)

If they're cross tires, tread squim will do more than anything to slow
ya down. If the sidewalls aren't skinwall those will slow you down as
well. Width isn't the biggest factor. I'm not an academic, just what
I've picked up from the Classic (TM) r.b.t discussions.

An example, I just replaced the 650g 37mm wide gumwall tires on my
gravity challenged opt-in town bike with 30mm 350g smooth tread
skinwalls--picked up a good 2mph. Dramatic stuff. Sized up on the
fixed gear to 32mm tires, but with similar weight and quality, and the
performance is about the same. Make sense?

Try some of those 28mm Paselas that are cheap enough to compare to
your current rubber, a steal at $13/each:
http://tinyurl.com/6p7dtw