Re: Countersteering 101: Shut the **** Up and Listen

Bob Schwartz

Guest
MagillaGorilla wrote:
> It's easy to prove this experimentally, Carl. Ride a regular road bike
> on an indoor velodrome (to negate the effects of wind direction). Make
> sure the road bike has a power meter. Ride the velodrome at a constant
> wattage.
>
> And then look at your speed in the turns: it will decrease. I am 100%
> positive you will see your speed decrease in the turns because of those
> 3 negative effects I cited above.

Dumbass,

Do you know anyone that has actually done this?

Bob Schwartz

Bob Schwartz wrote:

> MagillaGorilla wrote:
>
>> It's easy to prove this experimentally, Carl. Ride a regular road
>> bike on an indoor velodrome (to negate the effects of wind
>> direction). Make sure the road bike has a power meter. Ride the
>> velodrome at a constant wattage.
>>
>> And then look at your speed in the turns: it will decrease. I am 100%
>> positive you will see your speed decrease in the turns because of
>> those 3 negative effects I cited above.

> Dumbass,
>
> Do you know anyone that has actually done this?
>
> Bob Schwartz

I don't but it seems like an experiment someone could do very easily.
There's only 2 variables you have to control:

1. No wind from any direction. I would not validate this experiment on
an outdoor velodrome. But the LA velodrome would be perfect.

2. The wattage must be kept constant throughout each lap of the track.
However, I think you would see marked decreases in speed in the turns -
on the order of .5 to 2 mph.

Magilla

MagillaGorilla wrote:
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
>
>> MagillaGorilla wrote:
>>
>>> It's easy to prove this experimentally, Carl. Ride a regular road
>>> bike on an indoor velodrome (to negate the effects of wind
>>> direction). Make sure the road bike has a power meter. Ride the
>>> velodrome at a constant wattage.
>>>
>>> And then look at your speed in the turns: it will decrease. I am 100%
>>> positive you will see your speed decrease in the turns because of
>>> those 3 negative effects I cited above.

>> Dumbass,
>>
>> Do you know anyone that has actually done this?
>>
>> Bob Schwartz

> I don't but it seems like an experiment someone could do very easily.
> There's only 2 variables you have to control:
>
> 1. No wind from any direction. I would not validate this experiment on
> an outdoor velodrome. But the LA velodrome would be perfect.
>
> 2. The wattage must be kept constant throughout each lap of the track.
> However, I think you would see marked decreases in speed in the turns -
> on the order of .5 to 2 mph.

Retardo,

My question was rhetorical. But you knew that.

Bob Schwartz