Re: humor pic: Magnetic Suspension (repost?)

Joey

Guest
Saw this posted in another newsgroup and thought it might get a laugh here.
Sorry to everyone who has already seen it:
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=6505
"This revolutionary frame comes in two pieces, and features new IMS
(Independent Magnetic Suspension) technology from Germany. Apparently the
frame is magnetic, and the power of attraction and repulsion keeps
everything upright. Here is a picture of this frame being used in race
conditions for the first time. You need to look very closely to appreciate
the mystery and marvel of this technology."
Obviously a joke as well, but good for a laugh the first time you see it.

Joey

news:[email protected]...

"Joey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Saw this posted in another newsgroup and thought it might get a laugh here.
> Sorry to everyone who has already seen it:
> http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=6505
> "This revolutionary frame comes in two pieces, and features new IMS
> (Independent Magnetic Suspension) technology from Germany. Apparently the
> frame is magnetic, and the power of attraction and repulsion keeps
> everything upright. Here is a picture of this frame being used in race
> conditions for the first time. You need to look very closely to appreciate
> the mystery and marvel of this technology."
> Obviously a joke as well, but good for a laugh the first time you see it.

I reckon that would probably work. Chill the wheels to -270 degrees
(doesn't everyone have a liquid helium chiller in their support van?),
start a current in the (now superconducting rims) and away you go.
Could be a bit dodgy if too many people get this gear: as you try to
overtake, interaction with the other bike's magnetic field would cause
you to be either slammed together or hurled apart. Should work a
treat for triggering detector loops for traffic lights.

But enough of the tongue-in-cheek pseudo-science. The story about the
magnetic suspension is just a red herring. NASA perfected transparent
aluminium about 15 years ago and it is good to see it finally spinning
off into consumer goods.

If you enjoyed that picture, you should check the ones with the "invisible" bikes:
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=6569
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=6568

More of them (with a "story") are listed here:
http://www.geocities.com/verdrahciretop/invisibike.html
(the link apparently has bandwidth restrictions, so try later if it doesn't work)
Definitely photoshop, but still funny.

With apologies to those who already saw them.