Re: So which 'safety' equipment do you cycle with?

Paul Rudin

Guest
"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> writes:

> As subject line really ... Which, if any so called 'safety' equipment do you
> all cycle with?

Off road I use a helmet and gloves or track mits if it's warm.

On road I normally wear gloves or track mits, and some reflective
ankle and wrist bands if it's dark. Sometimes I'll wear a helmet if
it's cold, but not if it's hot.

If it's dark I use lights, which I guess in part are "safety
equipment".

I'm not sure the gloves are really "safety equipment", I'm just very
used to cycling in them, and my fingers get cold very quickly unless
it's pretty warm.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:21:39 +0100, Paul Rudin
<[email protected]> wrote:

[---]

>I'm not sure the gloves are really "safety equipment"

Neither was I - I hate the things - until I saw the mess a colleague
made of his palms after crashing at speed. Since then, I wouldn't
ride without them.

Paul Rudin said the following on 18/04/2007 10:21:

> I'm not sure the gloves are really "safety equipment", I'm just very
> used to cycling in them, and my fingers get cold very quickly unless
> it's pretty warm.

They do more than keep your fingers warm if you come off. A helmet is
most definitely sold as "safety equipment" (note the careful wording!)
and does protect your head against minor scrapes and bumps. Gloves do
the same thing.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote on 19/04/2007 09:44 +0100:

> A helmet is
> most definitely sold as "safety equipment" (note the careful wording!)
> and does protect your head against minor scrapes and bumps. Gloves do
> the same thing.

You wear your gloves on your head? ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell