Re: Wildlife moments

al Mossah

Guest
On 12 Apr, 13:02, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

a fast bird flying along at nought
> feet, hugging the ground profile. I was doing about 25km/h and it was
> going faster than me and then it whizzed over a hedge. Dead sure it
> was a bird of prey of some sort - either a kestrel or (hopefully) a
> sparrow hawk.

Sounds like a sparrowhawk. I once followed one along the country lane
for about half a mile; every time I turned a corner, I saw it in the
distance, seemingly flying very low but not that fast; either that, or
every time it went around the corner from me it stopped to let me
catch up a bit.

Buzzards! Surprised one of those the other day as I came around a
corner. It had a similar affect on me.

And a couple of weeks ago I saw what looked like a buzzard, but seemed
to have a blueish grey head with perhaps slightly longer wings. I
wondered about a harrier, but the pictures didn't seem to match. Also
there was no jet noise.

Peter.