Removing a stuck freehub bolt - advice needed please!

John Davies

Guest
I am trying to remove the freehub from a three year old Rolf Vector Comp rear wheel. I have secured
the 12 mm allen wrench upright in a stout bench vice, inserted it into the hex bolt in the hub, and
tried with all my strength to turn the wheel counterclockwise (looking down at the wheel).

I can't get it to budge. I weigh 160 lbs. I am letting the bolt soak in Liquid Wrench overnight
before I try again.

This thing doesn't have a reverse threaded bolt, does it?

Any advice? Can I apply heat from a propane torch to the hub without damaging anything? Do I need an
extra set of hands? Why is this bolt so tight?

Thanks.

John Davies Monroe WA USA

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2000 Audi A4 quattro 1.8T 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

You need more force. Get a 200lb friend to help you, it'll work.(I know from experience) Garry

"John Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am trying to remove the freehub from a three year old Rolf Vector Comp rear wheel. I have
> secured the 12 mm allen wrench upright in a stout bench vice, inserted it into the hex bolt in
> the hub, and tried with all my strength to turn the wheel counterclockwise (looking down at
> the wheel).
>
> I can't get it to budge. I weigh 160 lbs. I am letting the bolt soak in Liquid Wrench overnight
> before I try again.
>
> This thing doesn't have a reverse threaded bolt, does it?
>
> Any advice? Can I apply heat from a propane torch to the hub without damaging anything? Do I need
> an extra set of hands? Why is this bolt so tight?
>
> Thanks.
>

> John Davies Monroe WA USA
>
> 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2000 Audi A4 quattro 1.8T 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

"John Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am trying to remove the freehub from a three year old Rolf Vector Comp rear wheel. I have
> secured the 12 mm allen wrench upright in a stout bench vice, inserted it into the hex bolt in
> the hub, and tried with all my strength to turn the wheel counterclockwise (looking down at
> the wheel).
>
> I can't get it to budge. I weigh 160 lbs. I am letting the bolt soak in Liquid Wrench overnight
> before I try again.
>
> This thing doesn't have a reverse threaded bolt, does it?
>
> Any advice? Can I apply heat from a propane torch to the hub without damaging anything? Do I need
> an extra set of hands? Why is this bolt so tight?

I remember it taking three of us to undo one of mine once... 'Bout twisted the bench vise off its
bolts before the damn thing broke.

Failing having several large friends, grab a long cheater bar (tube) and have someone hold the wheel
while you torque on the cheater bar. The longer the better, you need the leverage.

Mike

> Thanks.
>

> John Davies Monroe WA USA
>
> 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2000 Audi A4 quattro 1.8T 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Try tightening it ever so slightly or apply lots of pressure then tap it firmly. A sharp jolt will
often get it to crack (release).

AJS

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "John Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am trying to remove the freehub from a three year old Rolf Vector Comp rear wheel. I have
> > secured the 12 mm allen wrench upright in a stout bench vice, inserted it into the hex bolt in
> > the hub, and tried with all my strength to turn the wheel counterclockwise (looking down at the
> > wheel).
> >
> I remember it taking three of us to undo one of mine once... 'Bout twisted the bench vise off its
> bolts before the damn thing broke.
>
> Failing having several large friends, grab a long cheater bar (tube) and have someone hold the
> wheel while you torque on the cheater bar. The longer the better, you need the leverage.

Not having that many friends I set the wheel against the corner of the house (tyre on & inflated) so
that swinging on the (long) tube which I have slipped over the allen key tries to drive the wheel
into the wall. You need to be at a corner so your hands don't slam into the wall when the thing
gives. I hope this description makes sense - there is a slight knack to it, but once you have it
right you can really swing on the tube - sharp pushes tend to work best rather than a steadily
increasing effort.

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 02:45:05 GMT, John Davies <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am trying to remove the freehub from a three year old Rolf Vector Comp rear wheel.

I took the wheel to my LBS and two mechanics popped the freehub loose in about 15 seconds.

Thanks for all the advice. I know now how to get it off in the future.