Results of the climb...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sonarrat, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    I finished the ~7-mile climb in 56:38. And they misspelled my (real) name... grrrrrrrrrrrr.

    -Sonarrat.

    Tags:

  2. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    I finished the ~7-mile climb in 56:38. And they misspelled my (real) name... grrrrrrrrrrrr.

    The average gradient is listed as 7% on their website. That means I was putting out well short of
    1300 watts. Oh, well. At least I wasn't last... that honor went to my father after he had a
    mechanical problem and had to fix it on the roadside...

    -Sonarrat.

  3. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Sonarrat" <sonarrat@postmark.fishn..> wrote in message news:vp6obnng0qrfa9@corp.supernews.com...
    > I finished the ~7-mile climb in 56:38. And they misspelled my (real)
    name...
    > grrrrrrrrrrrr.

    I feel for you :)

    How did the 10 mile TT go? Or did you skip it in favour of the hillclimb?

    Jeff

  4. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message

    > "Sonarrat" <sonarrat@postmark.fishn..> wrote in message news:vp6obnng0qrfa9@corp.supernews.com...
    > > I finished the ~7-mile climb in 56:38. And they misspelled my (real) name... grrrrrrrrrrrr.
    > >
    > I feel for you :)

    Perhaps I should adopt a Basque name so that it's at least understandable when it's misspelled.

    > How did the 10 mile TT go? Or did you skip it in favour of the hillclimb?

    I had to skip it. Dad balked at driving so far for such a short TT.

    -Sonarrat.

  5. Sonarrat wrote:
    > I finished the ~7-mile climb in 56:38. And they misspelled my (real) name... grrrrrrrrrrrr.
    >
    > The average gradient is listed as 7% on their website. That means I was putting out well short of
    > 1300 watts. Oh, well. At least I wasn't last... that honor went to my father after he had a
    > mechanical problem and had to fix it on the roadside...
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    Considering that a 1 horsepower is (IIRC) about 746 watts, you could put out well short of
    1300 w and still qualify as Superman.

    Steve

  6. Rik O'Shea

    Rik O'Shea Guest

    >I finished the ~7-mile climb in 56:38. And they misspelled my (real)
    name... grrrrrrrrrrrr.

    >The average gradient is listed as 7% on their website. That means I
    was putting
    >out well short of 1300 watts. Oh, well. At least I wasn't last...
    that honor
    >went to my father after he had a mechanical problem and had to fix it
    on the
    >roadside...

    Maybe closer to 130 watts. Even if you finished second last, (in front of your aul' lad with the
    flat tyre) at least you finished - taking part is what really counts !

  7. rikoshea@yahoo.com (Rik O'Shea) wrote in message
    > >I finished the ~7-mile climb in 56:38. And they misspelled my (real)
    > name... grrrrrrrrrrrr.
    >
    > >The average gradient is listed as 7% on their website. That means I
    > was putting
    > >out well short of 1300 watts. Oh, well. At least I wasn't last...
    > that honor
    > >went to my father after he had a mechanical problem and had to fix it
    > on the
    > >roadside...
    >
    > Maybe closer to 130 watts. Even if you finished second last,

    Fourth to last, in fact, but everyone behind me was at least twice my age... as were many of the
    people in front of me.

    > (in front of your aul' lad with the flat tyre) at least you finished - taking part is what really
    > counts !

    The important thing is that this will help me win next year :)

    -Sonarrat.

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    If you train you will improve. Forget age differentiation since it will always work in your favor
    and not against it. At your age you will adapt much faster than older people.

    "Sonarrat Citalis" <sonarrat@postmark.net> wrote in message
    > rikoshea@yahoo.com (Rik O'Shea) wrote in message
    > > >I finished the ~7-mile climb in 56:38. And they misspelled my
    (real)
    > > name... grrrrrrrrrrrr.
    > >
    > > >The average gradient is listed as 7% on their website. That
    means I
    > > was putting
    > > >out well short of 1300 watts. Oh, well. At least I wasn't
    last...
    > > that honor
    > > >went to my father after he had a mechanical problem and had to
    fix it
    > > on the
    > > >roadside...
    > >
    > > Maybe closer to 130 watts. Even if you finished second last,
    >
    > Fourth to last, in fact, but everyone behind me was at least twice
    my
    > age... as were many of the people in front of me.
    >
    > > (in front of your aul' lad with the flat tyre) at least you finished -
    taking
    > > part is what really counts !
    >
    > The important thing is that this will help me win next year :)
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

  9. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <3dde371a.0310201504.63a3b2a2@posting.google.com>, sonarrat@postmark.net (Sonarrat
    Citalis) wrote:

    > The important thing is that this will help me win next year :)
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    The hill is close enough to your house, you should be able to get plenty of practice. There's
    lots of good riding around there - you can go out in the afternoon and suffer in the windtunnel
    that is Uvas canyon (heading northwest). That'll build character...

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "We've reached a higher spiritual plane, that is so high I can't explain We tell jokes to make you
    laugh, we play sports so we don't get fat..." The Dictators

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  10. Howard Kveck <YOURhoward@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message
    > In article <3dde371a.0310201504.63a3b2a2@posting.google.com>, sonarrat@postmark.net (Sonarrat
    > Citalis) wrote:
    >
    > > The important thing is that this will help me win next year :)
    > >
    > > -Sonarrat.
    >
    > The hill is close enough to your house, you should be able to get plenty of practice. There's lots
    > of good riding around there - you can go out in the afternoon and suffer in the windtunnel that is
    > Uvas canyon (heading northwest). That'll build character...

    I've been out there twice, and I thought it was fun... I find it a lot harder to ride down Monterey
    Highway, coming north from Gilroy towards Morgan Hill. Between the road texture and the nagging
    headwind, I struggle to keep moving over 12 mph where I can usually keep ticking close to 20 mph. On
    the other hand, if I want to cheat on my personal TT time, I can just take Monterey southbound... :)

    -Sonarrat.

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    I would recommend you stay completely off of Old Monterey Highway. Whereas there's not much traffic
    on it anymore, what traffic there is generally is flying low and paying no attention.

    Howard is right that you could head up Willow Springs Road or similar.

    > Howard Kveck <YOURhoward@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <3dde371a.0310201504.63a3b2a2@posting.google.com>, sonarrat@postmark.net (Sonarrat
    > > Citalis) wrote:
    > >
    > > > The important thing is that this will help me win next year :)
    > > >
    > > > -Sonarrat.
    > >
    > > The hill is close enough to your house, you should be able to get plenty of practice. There's
    > > lots of good riding around there - you
    can
    > > go out in the afternoon and suffer in the windtunnel that is Uvas canyon (heading northwest).
    > > That'll build character...
    >
    > I've been out there twice, and I thought it was fun... I find it a
    lot
    > harder to ride down Monterey Highway, coming north from Gilroy
    towards
    > Morgan Hill. Between the road texture and the nagging headwind, I struggle to keep moving over 12
    > mph where I can usually keep ticking close to 20 mph. On the other hand, if I want to cheat on my
    personal
    > TT time, I can just take Monterey southbound... :)
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

  12. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <3dde371a.0310210812.48002ff6@posting.google.com>, sonarrat@postmark.net (Sonarrat
    Citalis) wrote:

    > Howard Kveck <YOURhoward@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message

    > you can go out in the afternoon and suffer in the windtunnel that is Uvas
    > > canyon (heading northwest). That'll build character...
    >
    > I've been out there twice, and I thought it was fun... I find it a lot harder to ride down
    > Monterey Highway, coming north from Gilroy towards Morgan Hill. Between the road texture and the
    > nagging headwind, I struggle to keep moving over 12 mph where I can usually keep ticking close to
    > 20 mph. On the other hand, if I want to cheat on my personal TT time, I can just take Monterey
    > southbound... :)
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    Anything southbound will be nicely wind-assisted (particularly in the late afternoon). I'd rather
    have that on the way home, of course. Sycamore/Oak Glen/Uvas is a nice loop. I came from the
    northern end of that. I avoided Monterey Hwy., partly because of the surface, but mostly because
    it's boring. The shoulder is fairly wide and the traffic is pretty sketchy, but that never
    bothered me too much. (However, I'll ride up to Lexington Res. out of Los Gatos on 17, so maybe
    that says something about my tolerance level for car traffic...) Hale Ave. is probably a somewhat
    better choice for a straight-ish, flat north-south road.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "We've reached a higher spiritual plane, that is so high I can't explain We tell jokes to make you
    laugh, we play sports so we don't get fat..." The Dictators

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  13. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    > In article <3dde371a.0310210812.48002ff6@posting.google.com>, sonarrat@postmark.net (Sonarrat
    > Citalis) wrote:
    >
    > > Howard Kveck <YOURhoward@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > you can go out in the afternoon and suffer in the windtunnel that is Uvas
    > > > canyon (heading northwest). That'll build character...
    > >
    > > I've been out there twice, and I thought it was fun... I find it a lot harder to ride down
    > > Monterey Highway, coming north from Gilroy towards Morgan Hill. Between the road texture and the
    > > nagging headwind, I struggle to keep moving over 12 mph where I can usually keep ticking close
    > > to 20 mph. On the other hand, if I want to cheat on my personal TT time, I can just take
    > > Monterey southbound... :)
    > >
    > > -Sonarrat.
    >
    > Anything southbound will be nicely wind-assisted (particularly in the late afternoon). I'd
    > rather have that on the way home, of course. Sycamore/Oak Glen/Uvas is a nice loop. I came from
    > the northern end of that.

    Yes, I know that loop. I just don't like the maniacal drivers and 45-mph speed limit on the tight,
    winding roads...

    > I avoided Monterey Hwy., partly because of the surface, but mostly because it's boring. The
    > shoulder is fairly wide and the traffic is pretty sketchy, but that never bothered me too much.

    Personally, as long as I have a wide shoulder, I can even tolerate riding on 101 or 152, though the
    exhaust smell has kept me from attempting either a second time.

    > (However, I'll ride up to Lexington Res. out of Los Gatos on 17, so maybe that says something
    > about my tolerance level for car
    traffic...)
    > Hale Ave. is probably a somewhat better choice for a straight-ish, flat north-south road.

    Yes, that's the one that goes to the light-rail station . I've been meaning to try and get up early,
    ride from where I live to the train station (30 miles?) and take the light-rail to college... the
    only deterrent is the prospect of steep hills at the beginning and end of every day.

    By the way, what do you think of Mt. Hamilton?

    -Sonarrat.

  14. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <vpediqn1te4ub2@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Sonarrat" <sonarrat@postmark.fishn..> wrote:

    > "Howard Kveck" <YOURhoward@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message
    > > Sycamore/Oak Glen/Uvas is a nice loop. I came from the northern end of that.
    >
    > Yes, I know that loop. I just don't like the maniacal drivers and 45-mph speed limit on the tight,
    > winding roads...

    That does start to be a limiting factor. Many, if not most, of the roads worth riding in the bay
    area are a bit narrow and there will be some cars honking along. (Marked 45? Figure 55+, you
    know? Skyline or 9, among others, get pretty hectic with guys on their mad mofo musclebikes
    going WFO on sunny weekends.) I think the number of close calls per mile ridden out in places
    like we're talking about is a tiny fraction of what it is on urban roads (at least for me). Cars
    are going just as fast (and maniacally) in town as out in the sticks, but there's -far- more of
    them in town.

    > Personally, as long as I have a wide shoulder, I can even tolerate riding on 101 or 152, though
    > the exhaust smell has kept me from attempting either a second time.

    The ride over 152 into Watsonville is fun.

    > > (However, I'll ride up to Lexington Res. out of Los Gatos on 17, so maybe that says something
    > > about my tolerance level for car
    > traffic...)
    > > Hale Ave. is probably a somewhat better choice for a straight-ish, flat north-south road.
    >
    > Yes, that's the one that goes to the light-rail station . I've been meaning to try and get up
    > early, ride from where I live to the train station (30 miles?) and take the light-rail to
    > college... the only deterrent is the prospect of steep hills at the beginning and end of
    > every day.

    I understand that - a little bit of warm up is good before climbs. By the way, I used to see
    Karen Kurreck motorpacing out on Hale fairly regularly. So if you have a friend with a
    scooter....

    > By the way, what do you think of Mt. Hamilton?
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    When the weather's nice and clear, it's a good climb (three, actually - there's two smallish
    valleys on the way up). It's long, that's certain. Mike Jacoubowsky from Chain Reaction had a
    page for it (and many other rides in the BA): http://www.chainreaction.com/mthamilton.htm My
    blunt opinion on Mt. Hamilton is "a bit tedious". YMMV. For a long, gradual climb, I prefer 9 out
    of Boulder Creek.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "We've reached a higher spiritual plane, that is so high I can't explain We tell jokes to make you
    laugh, we play sports so we don't get fat..." The Dictators

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  15. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Howard Kveck wrote:
    >My blunt opinion on Mt. Hamilton is "a bit tedious".

    The frontside can be. The backside (and the long approach from Livermore) isn't.

  16. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <3f97a5f8$0$13284$626a54ce@news.free.fr>, "Robert Chung" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Howard Kveck wrote:
    > >My blunt opinion on Mt. Hamilton is "a bit tedious".
    >
    > The frontside can be. The backside (and the long approach from Livermore) isn't.

    I've never done that one. Four times I planned on doing the SJ to Livermore loop, but every time
    I got to the top, I discovered that they'd just done a fresh chip seal on the road on the far
    side. There'd be a layer of loose pea gravel about an inch and a half deep across the road.
    Absolutely no fun in that. One thing I forgot to mention is that on the frontside, a huge
    percentage of the litter consisted of beer containers and bullet casings.

    --

  17. Sonarrat Citalis wrote:
    > Howard Kveck <YOURhoward@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <3dde371a.0310201504.63a3b2a2@posting.google.com>, sonarrat@postmark.net (Sonarrat
    >>Citalis) wrote:
    >>

    >>>The important thing is that this will help me win next year :)
    >>>
    >>>-Sonarrat.
    >>
    >>The hill is close enough to your house, you should be able to get plenty of practice. There's lots
    >>of good riding around there - you can go out in the afternoon and suffer in the windtunnel that is
    >>Uvas canyon (heading northwest). That'll build character...
    >

    > I've been out there twice, and I thought it was fun... I find it a lot harder to ride down
    > Monterey Highway, coming north from Gilroy towards Morgan Hill. Between the road texture and the
    > nagging headwind, I struggle to keep moving over 12 mph where I can usually keep ticking close to
    > 20 mph. On the other hand, if I want to cheat on my personal TT time, I can just take Monterey
    > southbound... :)
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    Better yet. Drive down to Monterey on a Sat or Sun monrning, park across from Dennis the Menace
    Park, warm up along the cycle path past Cannery Row and then rip around 17 mile drive and back over
    the top of the mountain, if you feel it wasn't challenging enough.

    Pros: Nice view. Roads in excellent condition. Can be as challenging as you want it.

    Cons: Smell of bird shit can be strong. Occasional sand on road. Tourists.

  18. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Howard Kveck wrote:
    > "Robert Chung" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Howard Kveck wrote:
    >>> My blunt opinion on Mt. Hamilton is "a bit tedious".
    >>
    >> The frontside can be. The backside (and the long approach from Livermore) isn't.
    >
    > I've never done that one. Four times I planned on doing the SJ to Livermore loop, but every
    > time I got to the top, I discovered that they'd just done a fresh chip seal on the road on the
    > far side. There'd be a layer of loose pea gravel about an inch and a half deep across the road.
    > Absolutely no fun in that.

    The backside is really one of the better rides in the Bay Area. Very, very pleasant, particularly
    when the wildflowers are in bloom. Too bad there's no bikeable path from Henry Coe over to San
    Antonio Valley Rd.

  19. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <3f9a3b66$0$27574$626a54ce@news.free.fr>, "Robert Chung" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Howard Kveck wrote:

    > >> The frontside can be. The backside (and the long approach from Livermore) isn't.
    > >
    > > I've never done that one. Four times I planned on doing the SJ to Livermore loop, but every
    > > time I got to the top, I discovered that they'd just done a fresh chip seal on the road on
    > > the far side. There'd be a layer of loose pea gravel about an inch and a half deep across the
    > > road. Absolutely no fun in that.
    >
    > The backside is really one of the better rides in the Bay Area. Very, very pleasant, particularly
    > when the wildflowers are in bloom. Too bad there's no bikeable path from Henry Coe over to San
    > Antonio Valley Rd.

    I'll take this as a very high recommendation. Probably should have done it today, as the weather
    was great, if a little warm. I used to know a guy who said that you could ride through H Coe, if
    you didn't mind a lot of dirt trails. But I always thought he was as nutty as a fruitcake, so I
    took that one with a huge grain of salt. Anyway, I'd be hitting it via the northwest (i.e. cross
    over to Livermore). I just need to figure out the best way to get headed back north out of Alum
    Rock. (Here's a way off topic one for you, Robert: I wonder if you'd seen this Sy Hersh article
    in the New Yorker? It's a bit of an eye-opener, imo:
    <http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?031027fa_fact> I'd send it direct, but...)

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes..." Repo Man

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  20. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/shw0

    > (Here's a way off topic one for you, Robert: I wonder if you'd seen this Sy Hersh article in
    > the New Yorker? It's a bit of an eye-opener,
    > imo: <http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?031027fa_fact>

    Yes, I read it over the weekend. It's consistent with a long pattern of behavior that comes under
    the heading "hubris." There is a decidedly anti-evidence, anti-analysis, anti-science,
    anti-expertise bent to this administration. In some ways we are experiencing our own version of
    China's Cultural Revolution, where ideology was thought to solve all problems.

Share This Page