Ride from Rhode Island to New Jersey

Ray Swartz

Guest
I have an opportunity to fly into Rhode Island and out of
New Jersey a week later, just before July 4th. I have been
thinking of riding my bike from RI to NJ.

Adventure Cycling has an Atlantic Coast Trail map that goes
from Oxford, MA through Windsor Locks, CT, Rhinebeck, NY,
Poughkeepsie, NY, Middletown, NY, Port Jervis, PA (NJ?), and
then down the Delaware River to Lambertville, PA, my
ultimate destination.

Has anyone done this ride?

I was wondering

What kind of terrain this route goes through?

Is it mostly rural or urban?

Is it possible to camp out or is this is credit card trip?

I'd appreciate any other thoughts you would have.

Thanks,

Ray

>I have an opportunity to fly into Rhode Island and out of
>New Jersey a week later, just before July 4th. I have been
>thinking of riding my bike from RI to NJ.
>
>Adventure Cycling has an Atlantic Coast Trail map that goes
>from Oxford, MA through Windsor Locks, CT, Rhinebeck, NY,
>Poughkeepsie, NY, Middletown, NY, Port Jervis, PA (NJ?),
>and then down the Delaware River to Lambertville, PA, my
>ultimate destination.
>
>Has anyone done this ride?

I haven't done this particular ride, but I did ride between
Atlantic City to north of Boston in 1995. My trip report is
http://www.mvermeulen.com/bicycle.coast then look for
segment of June 30th to July 4th.

The route I took was urban and a credit card trip. I would
expect Adventure cycling to be a little more rural and on
some smaller roads.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

What part of Rhode Island will you be flying into?

I have a route that would take you down the Rhode Island
coastline (Narragansett) into Connecticut, then ferry you
across to Long Island. From there, we could figure out how
to get you to Newark Airport.

Let me know.

TM

"Ray Swartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an opportunity to fly into Rhode Island and out of
> New Jersey a week later, just before July 4th. I have been
> thinking of riding my bike from RI to NJ.
>
> Adventure Cycling has an Atlantic Coast Trail map that
> goes from Oxford, MA through Windsor Locks, CT, Rhinebeck,
> NY, Poughkeepsie, NY, Middletown, NY, Port Jervis, PA
> (NJ?), and then down the Delaware River to Lambertville,
> PA, my ultimate destination.
>
> Has anyone done this ride?
>
> I was wondering
>
> What kind of terrain this route goes through?
>
> Is it mostly rural or urban?
>
> Is it possible to camp out or is this is credit card trip?
>
> I'd appreciate any other thoughts you would have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

I believe that I will be flying into Providence.

Is it better to go south to Long Island or north to connect
up with the adventure cycling route?

Ray

news:<[email protected]>...

Ray wrote:

>>>I believe that I will be flying into Providence.

Is it better to go south to Long Island or north to connect
up with the adventure cycling route?<<<

NY Rides replies:

I don't know the Adventure Cycling route, but following is a
summary of what I would do. It's probably a little longer
than any other route, but at least you'll hit some scenery
and interesting places to visit:

From Providence, find your way to the East Bay Bike Path,
which will take you about 14 miles to Bristol, Rhode Island.
From there, take Rt. 114 south into Newport, Rhode Island
and enjoy a few hours or an overnight there. From Newport,
use the Rack 'n' Ride bus service to cross the Newport and
Jamestown Bridges, then get on Rt. 1A South. From here, it's
a nice, sometimes scenic ride down to Narragansett, where
you can stay right on the water pretty cheap during the week
at the Atlantic House.

From the waterside strip at Narragansett, ask how to get to
Rt. 1. Basically, you make a right at the wishing well at
the end of the beach front strip. Then, using a combination
of Rt. 1 (boring highway) and Rt. 1A (more scenic road), you
can swing by Misquamicut Beach, then up into Westerly, RI, a
cool little town right on the border with Connecticut.

From Westerly, it's about 17 miles to Mystic, CT, which is
another place to stop and see (or stay over). From Mystic,
it's about 11 miles to the New London Ferry, which will take
you to Orient Point, at the tip of Long Island's north fork.
Or, as an alternative, map your self a route along the
Connecticut shoreline to Bridgeport, where you can get a
ferry to Port Jefferson, Long Island.

Once on Long Island, you have a couple of choices for your
route. Sound Avenue, the road you would take a good portion
of the way from Orient Point, is especially scenic, but not
very well equipped with services and refreshment stops.
I've only done Long Island (by bike) from Port Jefferson to
New York City, so you might need to consult some other
people on this.

Then, depending on how you want to cross into New Jersey,
you can use service roads or bike paths to get to Brooklyn
or Manhattan. I'd need to know more about how much time you
have, how much traffic you can tolerate, etc. to guide you
any further.

Was this helpful?

"Ray Swartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I believe that I will be flying into Providence.
>
> Is it better to go south to Long Island or north to
> connect up with the adventure cycling route?
>
> Ray
>
> "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > What part of Rhode Island will you be flying into?
> >
> > I have a route that would take you down the Rhode Island
> > coastline (Narragansett) into Connecticut, then ferry
> > you across to Long Island.
From
> > there, we could figure out how to get you to Newark
> > Airport.
> >
> > Let me know.
> >
> > TM

I just did that trip two weeks ago in the ooposite
direction. I'll open my comment with a bad news/good news
scenario. The bad news is that you can't travel the NJ side
of the Delaware River between Port Jervis and Delaware Wter
Gap, because of construction. The good news is that the
alternative on the PA side, route 209, presented about the
best riding on that whole segment - wide road, not very
hilly, not much traffic, at least in May.

As this writer and others have pointed out on other current
threads, east-west travel in the northeast usually means
plenty of hills and that Adventure Cycling route is no
exception. You never get higher than about 1500 ft. above
sea level, but there's a lot of up and down, especially in
western CT and parts of NY.

If you don't mind going north into MA, I have taken route 20
all the way across that state, and as east-west roads go,
the climbing isn't bad. Once into NY, another poster has
said that the Hudson Valley offers some good N-S riding.

[email protected] (Ray Swartz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have an opportunity to fly into Rhode Island and out of
> New Jersey a week later, just before July 4th. I have been
> thinking of riding my bike from RI to NJ.
>
> Adventure Cycling has an Atlantic Coast Trail map that
> goes from Oxford, MA through Windsor Locks, CT, Rhinebeck,
> NY, Poughkeepsie, NY, Middletown, NY, Port Jervis, PA
> (NJ?), and then down the Delaware River to Lambertville,
> PA, my ultimate destination.
>
> Has anyone done this ride?
>
> I was wondering
>
> What kind of terrain this route goes through?
>
> Is it mostly rural or urban?
>
> Is it possible to camp out or is this is credit card trip?
>
> I'd appreciate any other thoughts you would have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

I rode from Springfield MA to NYC and can send you the route
if you like. I planned my trip using as many backroads and
rail trails as possible. Even like this the trip across CT
to NY is hilly. There are only 2 places for camping in CT.,
Kettletown SP and Black Rock SP. Hotels in Danbury and
Bethel CT. Once in NYC you can take the GWB over the river
to Jersey. Please advise if you want my cue sheets.

Ed