Ride report: Balmoral-Waterford-Mt Tamborine-Canungra-Balmoral

Tamyka Bell

Guest
I blogged this at http://www.blindrapture.com/ - but thought I might
post it here as well :)

On Friday morning, Steven and I struggled to get up, but eventually we
managed. The plan was a long road ride, but by the time we reached Mt
Gravatt I felt awful, so we stopped at McDonalds where he had breakfast
and I sucked down a chocolate thickshake. I felt much better after that
and we didn't stop again until Waterford.

At Waterford I witnessed a miracle: a Prado driver indicated, changed
lanes to overtake us, and indicated to move back into the lane, leaving
plenty of room between us and the vehicle at all times. Wonders will
never cease.

The climb up Mt Tamborine wasn't even as painful as last time. I still
don't remember the actual sights on the way up - I haven't done it
enough to remember the shape of the road like I do with Mt Coot-tha -
but I stayed in bigger gears than last time and got out of the saddle
when I slowed down, so that it only took me about 32 minutes this time.

Steven had gone ahead to actually get some training in, but he dicked
around up top for so long that I was already nearly at the top by the
time he passed me on his way back down. He didn't go all the way back
down, but turned around at the next road he saw after passing me. I
bought two sports drinks from the servo and discovered the watermelon
flavour, which turns out to be really good, like the blue flavour!

We picked up a touring map from the information centre and then carried
on towards Canungra. The road has excellent views and there's even some
dirt at the moment (because of roadworks) which makes it a bit more
exciting. Somewhere half way up a small climb I stopped and made Steven
check where my bike was clicking. He reckons it's the headset but it's
not loose, it's just got grit or something in there.

Next came the descent. Steven said he would take it easy with me,
mostly because he was worried I'd end up off the road and in a ditch
somewhere. He had nothing to worry about, because I never take
unfamiliar corners fast. I figured he'd need practice before France, so
I sent him ahead.

We got stopped at the red traffic light, which is huge. I mean, I've
never seen traffic lights this big before. Maybe it's just because
they're so close. Anyway, I let a car through in front of me, but Steven
went in front, because he's fast and I'm slow. At this point, the grade
is an impressive 15%. A few easy turns later, we came to an uphill.
Damn! I had forgotten about that from our drive. But at least I know
for next time that I can fly down that first section without worrying
about trying to hit the brakes later.

Further down the hill, there are some very fun 14% and 12% sections and
then some hairpins as well. I slowed down every time my speed got over
60km/h, just because I didn't want to have to brake from 90km/h if I
struggled on a corner. I came around one hairpin and noticed the acrid
smell of burning rubber. I pulse braked and prepared to pull over and
let my brakes cool down, and then I saw Steven pulled over further
ahead, worried about my cornering ability (or lack thereof).

I told him I was fine and that I was just pulling up because I could
smell my brakes. He said that was his brakes I was smelling - he had
locked up and slid off the road, but stayed upright and not hurt
himself. The slide at over 80km/h wasn't so surprising, but the fact
that he was unhurt seemed miraculous. When he got back on, he was
clearly a bit shaken and had slowed down a lot - but he was stilly
taking those corners a lot faster than I was!

After we turn onto the Canungra road, the descent is straight and steep,
at 15% again, but this time it's great fun because there's no corners!
We stopped at the Outpost Cafe for a pie, chips and gravy, and a
mugaccino. I also had an apple, carrot and ginger juice with spirulina
to help me get home. We had done 80km - we were halfway. When the
steward came to take our plates, I made her take the last of my pie - I
wanted to eat it but knew I would bring it up if I did!

The road back to Waterford was incredibly bumpy and painful this way, so
I was happy to just sit on Steven's wheel most of the way. I go alright
on his wheel until we reach even a small rise, and then I'm lost as he
vanishes into the distance... okay that's a bit over-the-top, but he
does get away from me on the hills, even when I try really hard to keep
up.

We had another quick stop just before Waterford and then rode non-stop
back home, although Logan Rd was particularly nasty, with more red
lights than I've seen before. A voice yelled from a car full of young
fellas: "Get a car, it's faster!" I thought that was a great idea, given
that it was now very late in the afternoon. By the time we got back to
Balmoral, it was just getting dark enough for lights - well, with my
sunnies on. What a day! 160km and a bit of a sore bot-bot, but nothing
too severe, just a huge sense of achievement.

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> sunnies on. What a day! 160km and a bit of a sore bot-bot, but nothing
> too severe, just a huge sense of achievement.

An imperial tonne, well done!

Tamyka Bell said:
I blogged this at http://www.blindrapture.com/ - but thought I might
post it here as well :)
[snippo]

Good on ya Tam - it's a great ride hey. I'm glad Steven didn't put it down on the descent, that could have been pretty nasty. The bot bot does suffer on the longer rides! :)

Did you go from Waterford through Logan Village or the other way past Cedar Creek?

Adam

flyingdutch wrote:

> 2 questions. Thickshake? and 'Blue drink' ??

Thickshake. Like milkshake, with more icecream. Or in Maccas case, more
fat. I just had a craving for it. I find dairy settles my stomach, and I
needed some sugar.

Blue drink - like blue powerade or blue gatorade or blue other-ade ;-) I
use it in enduro MTB and running, and it's way better than the other
brands.

> pie, gravy and chips i understand tho :D

Ah, but the tragedy of not forcing those last few bites into my already
bloated gut...

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
flyingdutch wrote:

> 2 questions. Thickshake? and 'Blue drink' ??

Thickshake. Like milkshake, with more icecream. Or in Maccas case, more
fat. I just had a craving for it. I find dairy settles my stomach, and I
needed some sugar.

Blue drink - like blue powerade or blue gatorade or blue other-ade ;-) I
use it in enduro MTB and running, and it's way better than the other
brands.

> pie, gravy and chips i understand tho :D

Ah, but the tragedy of not forcing those last few bites into my already
bloated gut...

Tam

oh, i know what they are! I just question your sanity of not having packed some of your mum's B+B poodin :D

adam85 wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > I blogged this at http://www.blindrapture.com/ - but thought I might
> > post it here as well :)
> > [snippo]
> >

> Good on ya Tam - it's a great ride hey. I'm glad Steven didn't put it
> down on the descent, that could have been pretty nasty. The bot bot
> does suffer on the longer rides! :)

Some of our mates have lost it on that descent before, and it's not
pretty at all. I'd rather take it carefully but it was good for Steven
to test himself as he'll be doing some serious descents in France in a
few months.

The bot bot doesn't suffer as much as it used to, since I got my
Giordana Endo bibknicks. Heaven for my bot bot ;-) After 160km I was in
less pain than I used to get for about 100km, and we were on some very
rough roads.

> Did you go from Waterford through Logan Village or the other way past
> Cedar Creek?

I think we went through Logan Village? Basically, on the way out we
follow Kingston Rd and then straight onto the main Mt T road. On the way
back, we did the loop into Canungra, heading into Canungra from the East
and out the west, and stayed on that road, which started with a H I
think? And followed it until it took us back onto the Mt Tambo road into
Waterford, then back onto Kingston and Logan Rd.

I have the map at home and can check it later tho

Tam

flyingdutch wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > flyingdutch wrote:
> > >
> > > 2 questions. Thickshake? and 'Blue drink' ??

> > Thickshake. Like milkshake, with more icecream. Or in Maccas case,
> > more
> > fat. I just had a craving for it. I find dairy settles my stomach, and
> > needed some sugar.
> >
> > Blue drink - like blue powerade or blue gatorade or blue other-ade ;-)
> > use it in enduro MTB and running, and it's way better than the other
> > brands.
> >
> > > pie, gravy and chips i understand tho :D

> > Ah, but the tragedy of not forcing those last few bites into my
> > already
> > bloated gut...
> >
> > Tam

> oh, i know what they are! I just question your sanity of not having
> packed some of your mum's B+B poodin :D

I know. A powerbar - how meagre and unappetising.

Actually, I reckon I need some of LotteBum's flourless choc hazelnut
cake!

flyingdutch said:
just to translate for nonQLDers, that was "it's a great ride" :D:D:D

PS how's the HRM goin Adam

or "it was grouse" for melbourne people. Do they still use that term?

HRM is good, my wife is very happy with it. Mine has a wierd problem at the moment, the speed works, but the trip meter doesn't (or is intermittent). I would have thought if you've got speed you'd always get distance. I'm assuming it's the sum of the distance travelled in each speed sample right? It's battery is low so maybe that's the reason.

Adam

On 2006-04-20, adam85 (aka Bruce)

> flyingdutch Wrote:
>> just to translate for nonQLDers, that was "it's a great ride" :D:D:D

> or "it was grouse" for melbourne people. Do they still use that term?

Only us oldies.

Mind you, I'm not entirely sure I've used it in the past 18 years.

--
TimC
Er, RFC 882 put the dot in .com.