Ritchey Freehub / Campy/Shim cassette mount question

Bob

Guest
I know next to nothing about freehubs... so I have a basic question.

I have a Ritchey Zero rear hub. Will it accept either a Campy or a
Shimano spec cassette ? I understand that there is a difference in
spacing of the sprockets in terms of indexing... is there an overall
difference in thickness that would make this either a Shimano *or* a
Campy freehub setup, but not both?

There does not appear to be a way to adjust the spacing in the
traditional way of just adding or removing washers from the axle on
this hub (but again, I am clueless on newer stuff). So I am wondering
how universal this freehub is.

Thanks,

Bob <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I know next to nothing about freehubs... so I have a basic question.
>
> I have a Ritchey Zero rear hub. Will it accept either a Campy or a
> Shimano spec cassette ? I understand that there is a difference in
> spacing of the sprockets in terms of indexing... is there an overall
> difference in thickness that would make this either a Shimano *or* a
> Campy freehub setup, but not both?
>
> There does not appear to be a way to adjust the spacing in the
> traditional way of just adding or removing washers from the axle on
> this hub (but again, I am clueless on newer stuff). So I am wondering
> how universal this freehub is.
>
> Thanks,

It's not universal. According to ritcheylogic.com, the hub is available in
a Shimano OR a Campy model, which must be selected at the time of purchase.

If you already have a set in hand, I'm guessing they're Shimano-compatible.
Shimano cogs have notches that are, what? 1.5mm deep? Campy cogs have
notches that are like 3 or 4mm deep. Shimano has a key notch that's wider
than the rest, whereas Campy has a spline with a second notch on its side.

Good luck!

It's probably Shimano. If you have Campy 9-speed, the Shimano cogs work
just fine with Shimano cogs.

Bob wrote:
> I know next to nothing about freehubs... so I have a basic question.
>
> I have a Ritchey Zero rear hub. Will it accept either a Campy or a
> Shimano spec cassette ? I understand that there is a difference in
> spacing of the sprockets in terms of indexing... is there an overall
> difference in thickness that would make this either a Shimano *or* a
> Campy freehub setup, but not both?
>
> There does not appear to be a way to adjust the spacing in the
> traditional way of just adding or removing washers from the axle on
> this hub (but again, I am clueless on newer stuff). So I am wondering
> how universal this freehub is.
>
> Thanks,

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:36:00 -0500, Hank Wirtz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If you already have a set in hand, I'm guessing they're Shimano-compatible.
>Shimano cogs have notches that are, what? 1.5mm deep? Campy cogs have
>notches that are like 3 or 4mm deep. Shimano has a key notch that's wider
>than the rest, whereas Campy has a spline with a second notch on its side.

Thanks Hank,. Shimano it is!

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:43:25 GMT, richard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It's probably Shimano. If you have Campy 9-speed, the Shimano cogs work
>just fine with Shimano cogs.

Richard: Could you restate that ?

Bob

Bob <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:43:25 GMT, richard
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It's probably Shimano. If you have Campy 9-speed, the Shimano cogs work
>>just fine with Shimano cogs.

> Richard: Could you restate that ?
>
> Bob

If I may, I think he means that despite the small difference in cog
spacing, a Shimano 9-speed cassette wil work with 9-speed Campy shifters
and derailleurs.

-HW

Hank bailed me out...

The 9-speed Shimano cogs work just fine with Campy shifters & derailleurs.