RR - UKAMB

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Huw Pritchard, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Photos are here: http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/

    Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep Huh? beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep 6:30 in the
    sodding morning, on a Sunday. What the hell's that noise? Oh yeah, it's my alarm. We're supposed to
    be going to Nantmawr, aren't we? By 7:30 I'd managed to lever my fine friend/driver, Adam out of bed
    and we were heading off on the mammoth drive to some place in England. Much to our surprise, we got
    there vaguely on time, about 11:15 and wandered around the carpark staring at all the people with
    long travel full sussers. There is some XC riding here, right? Eventually the rest of the party from
    the South West shows up in the form of Andy Chequer and his roadie mate Rob.

    At this point we're somewhat perplexed by what to do next, but suddenly I yell "There's a bloke on a
    BASE", hoping that the person I'm pointing at actually is Shaun Rimmer. It is, resplendent in AMB
    Headband, with Bomba hiding somewhere behind him, joined by two persons to whom I was introduced. I
    think their names were Howard and Paul, but I may be wrong.

    Still slightly disturbed by the number of people with more travel on their bikes than the AMB party
    combined, we head off into a quarry. There's some jumps here. Bitter experience has shown that I
    can't jump for toffee. A couple of party members run off to have a go, I wander around taking random
    photos. We've really got no idea what's going on here. Bomba *thinks* he may have been here before
    to watch a DH race, but he's not sure. We head off up a hill.

    We reach the top and one of Rimmer's mates (Howard?) is pushing. Chain's come off. The first of
    several mechanicals to dog him through the day. We chat idly about nothing in particular and notice
    the only thing that appears to be nearby is a sign saying "Downhill start". There's a lot of people
    around here with long travel bikes too. Seeing as only three of us bothered to bring anything with
    rear suspension (not counting the good inch of travel afforded by the tyres on Shaun's BASE) then
    this could be amusing. Is there another way down? No.

    Down we go, this is my first taste of downhilling on my hardtail with 80mm forks. It's not about the
    bike, they say. OK then. I'm actually not riding like as much of a muppet as normal, although I
    still ride at the back so as to keep everybody else from seeing my inevitable spill. As luck would
    have it I actually didn't come off, although I did somehow get lost on a DH course.

    Back up the same hill again to see if we can find anything that's a little more our style. We stop
    at some amusing bit of disused quarry working. This forms the shape of a mound with a gradual
    approach at one end and a steep slope on the other side, which the local dewbies have obviously been
    plummeting down. Being the perverse people we are, we try and ride up the bit that everyone else
    goes down. We all fail. Shaun finds himself wondering why he bought a bike made from solid barstock.
    After a couple of tries, most people are up the top by one method or another and we head off to find
    something else. We find a bridleway. Again Shaun has to be bigger and better than everybody else by
    getting an entire tree stuck in his spokes.

    After a disappointingly short off-road run, the bridleway deposits us onto a public road. Fine. None
    of us have a clue where we are, but we ride it anyway. We spy someone on a horse, slow down and stop
    so as not to freak the horse out, the rider takes one look at the rabble in front, turns around and
    goes back into the field she's just left.

    After a series of swooping downhills on country lanes we end up with the realisation that we've got
    some climbing to do now, back up to Nantmawr quarry. Slowly we all pile into the carpark, refuel and
    wonder where the hell Howard's got to. He arrives pushing his bike again. Flat tyre this time. After
    a brief refuelling stop, we head off to try and find this mythical XC course. We find something that
    might work, but the number of people pushing extremely heavy bikes with yards of travel is worrying.
    We've found the Slalom course. What the hell, we're at the top of the course now, we may as well go
    down it. All the local kids are looking at this bunch of skinny tyred freaks wondering what the hell
    we're doing, and why we're not wearing full face helmets. A quick ride to the bottom (during which I
    managed to look very silly indeed) and we wonder what the point of all that walking up a hill is for
    a very short run indeed. We head off in search of the elusive singletrack.

    We find something and ride it. Someone's installed a ramp in it. This foxes a few of us and Rob ends
    up landing on his head having tried jumping the ramp. Roadies and mountain bikes just don't mix
    sometimes, it seems.

    Heading back to the start of what we had concluded was not the XC course, much conversation went on
    along the lines of "How big is 200 acres anyway?", eventually with us coming to the conclusion that
    we'd seen pretty much all of it, and nearly none of it was singletrack. It's at this point that
    people started murmuring the word pub.

    That's my RR, anyway. Someone will probably post a BR (beer report) at some point and there's
    probably a couple more RR's in the pipeline too, some of which might actually be accurate.

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:29:23 +0000, "Huw Pritchard"
    <bounceCHECKSIGBEFOREMAILING@pritch.co.uk> wrote:

    >Photos are here: http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/
    >
    >Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep Huh? beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep 6:30 in the
    >sodding morning, on a Sunday.

    [snip very good RR!]

    Nice pics. It's good to see the people across the pond!

    Shaun, I think I know what's causing you back pain. It's that friggin' VW Beetle you're carrying on
    your back!

    WTF is in there?

    :-]

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Photos are here: http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/
    >
    > Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep Huh? beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep 6:30 in the
    > sodding morning, on a Sunday. What the hell's that noise? Oh yeah, it's my alarm. We're supposed
    > to be going to Nantmawr, aren't we? By 7:30 I'd managed to lever my fine friend/driver, Adam out
    > of bed and we were heading off on the mammoth drive to some place in England. Much to our
    > surprise, we got there vaguely on time, about 11:15 and wandered around the carpark staring at all
    > the people with long travel full sussers. There is some XC riding here, right? Eventually the rest
    > of the party from the South West shows up in the form of Andy Chequer and his roadie mate Rob.

    <snip nice RR>

    > --
    > Huw Pritchard

    Great RR. Now I see why Bomba has a pale shade of blue
    http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-010.html . Bro, ease up on that joint....you're
    gonna pass out!

    And you guys must be good riders because you missed that huge crack
    http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-012.html in the road!

    --
    Slacker

  4. "Huw Pritchard" <bounceCHECKSIGBEFOREMAILING@pritch.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Heading back to the start of what we had concluded was not the XC course, much conversation went
    > on along the lines of "How big is 200 acres anyway?", eventually with us coming to the conclusion
    > that we'd seen pretty much all of it, and nearly none of it was singletrack. It's at this point
    > that people started murmuring the word pub.

    Shame really as 10miles to the west of Nantmawr is one of the classic welsh mountain range
    crossings where the wayfarer path crosses the Berwyn Mountains , in fact there's a few great XC
    loops in the Berwyns.

    I got the impression is was supposed to be a bit of a jump fest. Nantmawr is really a freeride and
    DH wannabe playground AFAICT. Sounds like you had a decent enough time anyway. Sorry I missed all
    you guys but the 5 hr, 32 mile, 4,500ft loop in the Brecons made up for it :)

    Russ

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Slacker" <pasensio@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > Photos are here: http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/
    > >
    > > Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep Huh? beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep 6:30 in
    > > the sodding morning, on
    > > Sunday. What the hell's that noise? Oh yeah, it's my alarm. We're supposed to be going to
    > > Nantmawr, aren't we? By 7:30 I'd managed to
    lever
    > > my fine friend/driver, Adam out of bed and we were heading off on the mammoth drive to some
    > > place in England. Much to our surprise, we got there vaguely on time, about 11:15 and wandered
    > > around the carpark
    staring
    > > at all the people with long travel full sussers. There is some XC
    riding
    > > here, right? Eventually the rest of the party from the South West shows up in the form of Andy
    > > Chequer and his roadie mate Rob.
    > >
    > <snip nice RR>
    > >
    > > --
    > > Huw Pritchard
    >

    > Great RR. Now I see why Bomba has a pale shade of blue
    http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-010.html . Bro, ease up on
    > that joint....you're gonna pass out!

    Yeah those powerbars are hard to keep lit.

    > And you guys must be good riders because you missed that huge crack
    http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-012.html in the
    > road!

    Hehehe...two antidrug messages in one post.

    Mike - just say no to crack. ;^)

  6. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Michael Dart" <mrdart@erols.com> wrote in message news:b3bug30m9j@enews1.newsguy.com...

    > "Slacker" <pasensio@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > Photos are here: http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/
    > > >
    > > > Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep Huh? beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep 6:30 in
    > > > the sodding morning, on
    > > > Sunday. What the hell's that noise? Oh yeah, it's my alarm. We're supposed to be going to
    > > > Nantmawr, aren't we? By 7:30 I'd managed to
    > lever
    > > > my fine friend/driver, Adam out of bed and we were heading off on the mammoth drive to some
    > > > place in England. Much to our surprise, we got there vaguely on time, about 11:15 and wandered
    > > > around the carpark
    > staring
    > > > at all the people with long travel full sussers. There is some XC
    > riding
    > > > here, right? Eventually the rest of the party from the South West shows up in the form of Andy
    > > > Chequer and his roadie mate Rob.
    > > >
    > > <snip nice RR>
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Huw Pritchard
    > >

    > > Great RR. Now I see why Bomba has a pale shade of blue
    > http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-010.html . Bro, ease up on
    > > that joint....you're gonna pass out!
    >
    > Yeah those powerbars are hard to keep lit.
    >

    > > And you guys must be good riders because you missed that huge crack
    > http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-012.html in the
    > > road!
    > >

    > Hehehe...two antidrug messages in one post.
    >
    > Mike - just say no to crack. ;^)

    Just a friendly PSA from my lucid mind.

    I think we're gonna have to change Andy's last name now.....
    --
    Slacker

  9. >We reach the top and one of Rimmer's mates (Howard?) is pushing. Chain's come off.

    Twas inevatable heavy bike + fat rider + 9sp chain + hill = something usually gives ok so its
    usually the rider but I thought we'd have a change.
    :)

    >hell Howard's got to. He arrives pushing his bike again. Flat tyre this time.

    Still cant work out how I punctured on a road, cant remember seeing any thorned debris :|

    Howard

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <billwheeler@mtbingrocks.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:29:23 +0000, "Huw Pritchard"
    > <bounceCHECKSIGBEFOREMAILING@pritch.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >Photos are here: http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/
    > >
    > >Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep Huh? beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep 6:30 in
    > >the sodding morning, on
    > >Sunday.
    >
    > [snip very good RR!]
    >
    > Nice pics. It's good to see the people across the pond!
    >
    > Shaun, I think I know what's causing you back pain. It's that friggin' VW Beetle you're carrying
    > on your back!

    Eh? That's my small pack - I left the medium (80 litre) one in the car...

    > WTF is in there?

    2 litres of water in a Platypus, and a tool kit........a lot of tool kit......about 4 + pounds of
    tool kit......

    Shaun aRe - works on the theory of you only need the tools you left behind, so take 'em all......

  11. Cheers Huw for a colouful picture of the events of the day, with probably a few bits missed out
    later on though....

    I suppose I should take some blame for suggesting Nantmawr as a venue, especially as things turned
    out that I couldn't make it. I thought there was an xc course nearby though, shame you never found
    more than a sniff of it. Ah well, Sounds like you all had a good time anyway which was mostly the
    point wasn't it?

    I have to admit I was thinking of y'all on Sunday am, but standing in a muddy field waving a spade
    around lends itself to lots of thinking time...

    Hope to make it to the next one,

    Steve E.

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[)* <steve.eckersley@its.lancscc.gov.uk> wrote in message
    > Cheers Huw for a colouful picture of the events of the day, with probably
    > few bits missed out later on though....
    >
    > I suppose I should take some blame for suggesting Nantmawr as a venue, especially as things turned
    > out that I couldn't make it. I thought there
    was
    > an xc course nearby though,

    According to the map on the notice board, there was, but buggered if we could find it!

    > shame you never found more than a sniff of it. Ah well, Sounds like you all had a good time anyway
    > which was mostly the point wasn't it?
    >
    > I have to admit I was thinking of y'all on Sunday am, but standing in a muddy field waving a spade
    > around lends itself to lots of thinking time...

    I don't dig diggin....

    Yeah, Bomba said the jumps there were crap, and you shoulda dug 'em, or summink.....

    > Hope to make it to the next one,

    Aye!

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  13. Robert Adams

    Robert Adams Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <bounceCHECKSIGBEFOREMAILING@pritch.co.uk> wrote in message

    <snip>
    > at all the people with long travel full sussers. There is some XC riding here, right? Eventually
    > the rest of the party from the South West shows up in the form of Andy Chequer and his roadie
    > mate Rob.

    <and again>

    > We find something and ride it. Someone's installed a ramp in it. This foxes a few of us and Rob
    > ends up landing on his head having tried jumping the ramp. Roadies and mountain bikes just don't
    > mix sometimes, it seems.
    > --
    > Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

    Just wanted to say Hi, and thanks for a grand day out even if the riding wasn't exactly to my taste.

    Not sure how I feel about my "ramp-phobia" being criticised by Huw - anyone else maybe, but from the
    man who tries to make a virtue of refusing to ride anything scary it seems a bit rich! As for
    "roadie" I've always argued that being able to win a time-trial and ride a mountain bike (most of
    the time) makes you a better rider.

    Anyway, nice to meet new faces and catch up with old ones.

    Rob.

  14. Bastards. I wish I coulda joined you. The weekend up north was shit, overcast and cold. Are you all
    incredibly-fit-bike-for-100-miles-non-stop sorta people? One day I'll get my ass down there and
    come riding. Who are those three guys in the background of pic 001 they look like dirtjumpers, they
    from here?

    Small Black Dog

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Robert Adams <r.adams@nospam.wpcsoft.com> wrote in message news:b3d9tg$ce4$1@helle.btinternet.com...
    > "Huw Pritchard" <bounceCHECKSIGBEFOREMAILING@pritch.co.uk> wrote in
    message

    > <snip>
    > > at all the people with long travel full sussers. There is some XC
    riding
    > > here, right? Eventually the rest of the party from the South West shows up in the form of Andy
    > > Chequer and his roadie mate Rob.
    >
    > <and again>
    >
    > > We find something and ride it. Someone's installed a ramp in it. This foxes a few of us and Rob
    > > ends up landing on his head having tried
    jumping
    > > the ramp. Roadies and mountain bikes just don't mix sometimes, it
    seems.
    > > --
    > > Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail
    >
    > Just wanted to say Hi,

    Hi Rob, you crazy stunt freak! ',;~}

    > and thanks for a grand day out even if the riding wasn't exactly to my taste.

    What riding? There was riding?!?

    > Not sure how I feel about my "ramp-phobia" being criticised by Huw -
    anyone
    > else maybe, but from the man who tries to make a virtue of refusing to
    ride
    > anything scary it seems a bit rich! As for "roadie" I've always argued
    that
    > being able to win a time-trial and ride a mountain bike (most of the time) makes you a
    > better rider.

    Nahhhhh!

    > Anyway, nice to meet new faces and catch up with old ones.

    Aye - I really enjoyed meeting up with people I'd never insulted in real life, but only here (and
    frequently). The fact I survived unscathed was pleasantly surprising ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

    > Rob.

  16. On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:23:44 +0000, Robert Adams did issue forth:

    > Not sure how I feel about my "ramp-phobia" being criticised by Huw - anyone else maybe, but from
    > the man who tries to make a virtue of refusing to ride anything scary it seems a bit rich! As for
    > "roadie" I've always argued that being able to win a time-trial and ride a mountain bike (most of
    > the time) makes you a better rider.

    I wouldn't worry about me, Rob. Whenever I criticize/have a dig at other people's riding, it's with
    the full knowledge that I'm crap, and I fully expect a dig at my own abilities from whichever
    direction it may come. ;-)

  17. On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:11:29 +0000, Small Black Dog did issue forth:

    > Bastards. I wish I coulda joined you. The weekend up north was shit, overcast and cold. Are you
    > all incredibly-fit-bike-for-100-miles-non-stop sorta people? One day I'll get my ass down there
    > and come riding. Who are those three guys in the background of pic 001 they look like dirtjumpers,
    > they from here?

    The people in the background were dirt jumpers, but not from AMB.

    And no, we're not all incredibly-fit-bike-for-100-miles-non-stop sorta people. We're more "where was
    the pub?" and "what the hell's this hill doing here?" people.

  18. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:11:29 +0000, Small Black Dog did issue forth:
    >
    > > Bastards. I wish I coulda joined you. The weekend up north was shit, overcast and cold. Are
    > > you all
    incredibly-fit-bike-for-100-miles-non-stop
    > > sorta people? One day I'll get my ass down there and come riding. Who
    are
    > > those three guys in the background of pic 001 they look like
    dirtjumpers,
    > > they from here?
    >
    > The people in the background were dirt jumpers, but not from AMB.

    Aye, bloody dirt humpers - they should oughta get with chix....

    > And no, we're not all incredibly-fit-bike-for-100-miles-non-stop sorta people. We're more "where
    > was the pub?" and "what the hell's this hill doing here?" people.

    Speak for yerself! Me personally, I never wheeze or complain of backache, even after going up real
    long steep stuff dead quick.....

    Shaun aRe

  19. Bastards. I wish I coulda joined you. The weekend up north was shit, overcast and cold. Are you all
    incredibly-fit-bike-for-100-miles-non-stop sorta people? One day I'll get my ass down there and
    come riding. Who are those three guys in the background of pic 001 they look like dirtjumpers, they
    from here?

    Small Black Dog

Share This Page