Russia tests world's biggest bomb

fscyclist said:
Now there's a surprise:rolleyes:
Total thread hijack, but this subject is depressing. What up with Simon Pegg being cast as Scotty for the new movie? Is it going to be a comedy? They could bring Nick Frost in as a red shirt.

Bro Deal said:
Total thread hijack, but this subject is depressing. What up with Simon Pegg being cast as Scotty for the new movie? Is it going to be a comedy? They could bring Nick Frost in as a red shirt.
Almsot forgot. They also cast John Cho of Harold and Kumar go to White Castle as Sulu. I am sensing some serious comedic opportunities here. Bring in Kumar as a red shirt also.

Bro Deal said:
Almsot forgot. They also cast John Cho of Harold and Kumar go to White Castle as Sulu. I am sensing some serious comedic opportunities here. Bring in Kumar as a red shirt also.
Alright Bro, you're scaring me.

garage sale GT said:
The post-invasion occupation may have been underplanned but let's bear in mind that the killing is being carried out by factions as well as by malcontents from all over the Muslim world.

The fact of the matter is that if your country had not invaded Iraq in 2003 - the
ongoing conflict and mayhem in Iraq would not be happening now.

Your country's invasion of Iraq is directly and indirectly responsible for that death toll.

Also, even though it was a botch, that part is over and done with. (edit: the occupation planning was botched. "it" is the occupation planning.)

To say we are killing 200,000 Iraqi civilians a year is to say it would stop if we left. In all probability it would get far worse.

This theme has been fiercely debated in the past so I figure I'll avoid going over old ground. What I would advise is you forget all the politics, claim and counter claim and get yourself a decent, reliable, academic book on Israel's history. The best I found was Michael Grant as he's a wide ranging classical scholar with a knowledge of ancient languages such as Greek, Latin, Hebrew e.t.c. It's a pure history book with no politics whatsoever.
The information below, I figure, is a mini version of the Middle East conflict and became Russia's problem recently Ethnic problems and conflict have their roots in history, religion and politic.
What's interesting about the Ingush is they're Moslems who want to resettle in the Prigorodnyi after they left in Stalin's era but the Russians favour the Christian Ossetiyans. This is the background to the Beslan school massacre and mainly what lay behind it, going all the way back to Stalin.

"In October 1992 armed conflict broke out between Ingushetiya and North
Ossetiya over the Prigorodnyi district, which was populated by Ingush but
had been given to Ossetiya in 1944, when the entire Ingush population had
been deported to Kazakstan (from whence they returned in 1956). Several
hundred people were killed in the 1992 fighting, and Russian troops moved
in as peace keepers in November 1992. Since then there has been an uneasy
truce in the region, punctuated by the assassination of the Russian
commander in August 1993, amid increasing pressure from 40,000 Ingush
refugees who want to return to Ossetiya. It is generally assumed that
Moscow favors the Ossetiyan side, in part because it tends to prefer the
status quo in territorial disputes, and partly because the Ossetiyans are
Christian while the Ingush are Moslem."

Bro Deal said:
Israel was not attacked in 1967. It launched a sneak attack on its neighbors to steal their land.

It still occupies the Golan Heights, East Jerusalem, and the West Bank. The Gaza Strip is the world's largest concentration camp; it does not have control of its borders. Guards only on the perimeter does equal freedom for the people there. None of the occupied people have the right to vote. You cannot have it both ways. Either the land is not part of Israel, or the people there should have equal rights.

My favourite is Lost In Space which came out in 1966, originally in black and white. It starred Jonathan Harris as Dr Zachary Smith.
You may or may not know that Angela Cartwright left for the U.S.A. aged only one year but had lived in Cheshire in the U.K. originally Angela now works as an artist in California and has her own website and blog.
Marta Kristen who played Judy Robinson has family roots in Finland.
Yep, I enjoyed the original series of Star Trek and read the entire book on its production I got from a library.
http://www.angela-cartwright.com/
http://acartwrightstudio.blogspot.com/

Bro Deal said:

Carrera said:
This theme has been fiercely debated in the past so I figure I'll avoid going over old ground. What I would advise is you forget all the politics, claim and counter claim and get yourself a decent, reliable, academic book on Israel's history. The best I found was Michael Grant as he's a wide ranging classical scholar with a knowledge of ancient languages such as Greek, Latin, Hebrew e.t.c. It's a pure history book with no politics whatsoever.
The information below, I figure, is a mini version of the Middle East conflict and became Russia's problem recently Ethnic problems and conflict have their roots in history, religion and politic.
What's interesting about the Ingush is they're Moslems who want to resettle in the Prigorodnyi after they left in Stalin's era but the Russians favour the Christian Ossetiyans. This is the background to the Beslan school massacre and mainly what lay behind it, going all the way back to Stalin.

"In October 1992 armed conflict broke out between Ingushetiya and North
Ossetiya over the Prigorodnyi district, which was populated by Ingush but
had been given to Ossetiya in 1944, when the entire Ingush population had
been deported to Kazakstan (from whence they returned in 1956). Several
hundred people were killed in the 1992 fighting, and Russian troops moved
in as peace keepers in November 1992. Since then there has been an uneasy
truce in the region, punctuated by the assassination of the Russian
commander in August 1993, amid increasing pressure from 40,000 Ingush
refugees who want to return to Ossetiya. It is generally assumed that
Moscow favors the Ossetiyan side, in part because it tends to prefer the
status quo in territorial disputes, and partly because the Ossetiyans are
Christian while the Ingush are Moslem."
Waste of forum space. And you think we are going to learn something about Israel from reading this? Or you just want to relate to us something that you've read.

Think - short, sharp and to the point. What is this thread about anyway?

Carrera said:
My favourite is Lost In Space which came out in 1966, originally in black and white. It starred Jonathan Harris as Dr Zachary Smith.
You may or may not know that Angela Cartwright left for the U.S.A. aged only one year but had lived in Cheshire in the U.K. originally Angela now works as an artist in California and has her own website and blog.
Marta Kristen who played Judy Robinson has family roots in Finland.
Yep, I enjoyed the original series of Star Trek and read the entire book on its production I got from a library.
http://www.angela-cartwright.com/
http://acartwrightstudio.blogspot.com/
You're all over the place. You're trying to hijack your own thread.

Both conflicts are related to ethnnic and religious divides. Both conflicts came about as a result of a former third power. In the case of Israel, it was mainly Hadrian who pushed Jews out and in the case of the Ingush, Stalin deported them.

Crankyfeet said:
Waste of forum space. And you think we are going to learn something about Israel from reading this? Or you just want to relate to us something that you've read.

Think - short, sharp and to the point. What is this thread about anyway?

I saw two interesting news reports last night. With regard to Iraq, it seems it's not specifically true Iraqi refugees are returning there from Syria because the country is now stable. Rather, it seems many of the exiles ran out of cash and have been struggling to get by in Syria. I'll accept for now the major violence in Iraq has lessened but remain skeptical. Plus, I just heard Turkey carried out some operation against Iraqi Kurdish rebels on their borders now that more and more Kurds in Turkey want to form a Kurdish State.
The next news report was on Kosovo and Serbia. They were interviewing people across the divide but it now seems a possibility Serbia could go over to Russia and withdraw from E.U. membership. This is now a very potential cold war hotspot as it's feared ethnic violence could break out across the region and this time the Serbs are looking to see Russia take their side now the political situation has changed.
Putin has declared Kosovo a red line for Russia if the U.S. supports its independence from Serbia.
This same BBC report suggests there is indeed a new Cold War on the horizon and the focal points are the proposed missile shield in Czech Republic as well as Kosovo.

limerickman said:
The fact of the matter is that if your country had not invaded Iraq in 2003 - the
ongoing conflict and mayhem in Iraq would not be happening now.

Your country's invasion of Iraq is directly and indirectly responsible for that death toll.

Correction. I didn't mean Serbia was in the E.U. already. I meant it has 2 choices either the E.U. or Russia for political union.

Sometimes we diverge here and there but it wouldn't hijack the main thread. Mind you, I suppose someone somewhere did hijack the main thread as we've been discussing Iraq when the actual thread was about the vacuum bomb.
I'm sure it will somehow fall into place.

Crankyfeet said:
You're all over the place. You're trying to hijack your own thread.

Funny how there's so much sour grapes in the media about Russian elections with Putin set for a landslide.
It may well be true Putin has used quite a few stratagems and levers to hold onto power but what has to be taken into account is Russia needs strong leadership at this time when the U.S. is set on provoking a new Cold War.
Basically, Russia would have a multiparty system by now if its new status as a capitalist, democratic country hadn't been taken advantage of.
Above all with regard to this election it has to be a walkover anyway. Moscow's economy and economic status is pretty much booming and Russians have never had it so good. The idea of creating a oil/gas economy to close the gap with the U.S. and China was something of a master plan.
What the U.S. hoped out of all this was the continuation of another boozy, incompetent leader of the Yeltsin ilk they could manipulate and thereby take a big slice of the oil market in Russia. How infuriating Putin closed the door and made sure the oil will be exploited by Russian firms so the Russian people would get richer, enjoy a good education and prosper - which is why Putin is in effect very popular within his country.
Besides, how can the U.S. criticize lack of democracy? The U.S. has two main political parties repubs and Democrats and both of these don't tend to consult the American people on major issues. I mean, were Americans given a referendum on going to war in Iraq? Were they actually consulted over such a major decision? How much clout does the average American really have over national political issues and policy? In truth, Americans are ruled by a political elite and merely enjoy the opportunity of choosing one horse in a two horse race every once in a while.
True, there is more press freedom in the U.S. than in Russia or China but the fact there's less personal freedom tips the scales the other way.