Seattle high school seeks military recruiter ban

Darjevon said:
you are very, very lucky my friend...
I stepped out of the military right into a recession. Not too fun. Had I known the future, I would have "extended" my enlistment for one year. I was in Japan & the incessant rain & humidity was a bummer.

MC, what "kind of cyclist" r u? My conclusion is that you are mainly a mountain biker, who moonlights with urban assault (as is implied by your Mongoose bike)

Darjevon said:
MC, what "kind of cyclist" r u? My conclusion is that you are mainly a mountain biker, who moonlights with urban assault (as is implied by your Mongoose bike)
You hit the nail right on the head. My STP & Mongoose are for Urban Assault/Skate Park & my Y is for XCountry. I have the summer off so I plan on riding the Ritual as much as possible. I want to be able to make progress in doing the "manual's"/ "bar-spins"/ 'grinds" & "jumps' by the end of the summer :) . After that I go back to school & I will spend most of my time working/ going to class/studying :(

http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail.php?id=258&brandLine=Pro_US&brandID=40

davidmc said:
Should I run up to the car thief (Bush/Rummy/Cheney) & give him a big hug or have him arrested for stealing & destroying my car (our troops/military) :confused: I'm leaning heavily towards the later ;) :mad:

I prefer the image of Col. Hackworth waiting for the bastards in the Afterlife with some Claymores. :)

davidmc said:
You hit the nail right on the head. My STP & Mongoose are for Urban Assault/Skate Park & my Y is for XCountry. I have the summer off so I plan on riding the Ritual as much as possible. I want to be able to make progress in doing the "manual's"/ "bar-spins"/ 'grinds" & "jumps' by the end of the summer :) . After that I go back to school & I will spend most of my time working/ going to class/studying :(

http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail.php?id=258&brandLine=Pro_US&brandID=40
New thread idea!

darkboong said:
I prefer the image of Col. Hackworth waiting for the bastards in the Afterlife with some Claymores. :)
We, Progressives\Lefties can only hope ;)

Carrera said:
The fact is if your friend was treated in this way specifically due to her appearance or beliefs, she has a legal case under U.S. law. The U.S. constitution opposes racism in the same way as any European country, Australia or Britain. Such abuses if proven, usually entitle a person to compensation.
The same cannot be said for this Australian girl in Indonesia who faces 20 years in prison for possession of an extremely soft drug. There is a huge difference between suffering 24 hours humiliation and 20 years in a Thai or Indonesian jail....
But here is my point:
To me it seems the Australians put their hands in their pockets after the Tsunami disaster and gave a heck of a lot of money to Indonesia out of the goodness of their hearts and basic generosity. Yet when the chips are down, the western tourist who gets into strife in these countries has no access to compensation claims, justice, decent legal representation or the benefit of the doubt. The case itself sounded to me like a set-up under a kangaroo court and the only way to hit back is to take your tourism elsewhere (even Israel sounds like a more civilized alternative).
Better check up on the facts here...
1) Indonesia is a sovereign nation. When you enter Indonesia, you are subject to the laws of that nation. Every nation's laws are different. Walking around with a handgun may be legal in some places in the USA, but would have the TRG evacuating the area if you did it in Australia.
2) Possession of cannabis is illegal in (most) of Australia, and in Indonesia. Within this debate, it is irrelevant whether this is right or wrong. Within Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia (and, of course, many other Countries), the penalties are very serious ones. Every time you fly into Singapore, there is an announcement that importation of narcotics carries the Death Penalty.
3) The comments I have seen from the Australian legal fraternity, in observing the trial, indicate that it was conducted fairly and in accordance with Indonesia's legal framework. The sentencing appears to be no harsher than that imposed upon Indonesian Nationals for similar crimes.
4) Schapelle Corby has the right of appeal. I have not yet seen whether she intends to excercise this right.
5) The quantity of cannabis involved is at a commercial level - somewhere around 4.1kg. As in many Countries, in Indonesia, possession of commercial quantities of a prohibited substance is treated more severely than possession for own use.

There are a number of different things to consider here and a lot of it has to do with reaction to publicity.
IIRC, there are currently around 43 Australian Citizens in Jails in Southeast Asia on charges of possession or trafficking prohibited substances. At least 2 of these people have received the Death Penalty. The plight of these others has not attracted the same publicity (and ensuing symapathy) as that of Schapelle Corby. I may be wrong, but the public image of Ms Corby that has been portrayed by the media may make the public more willing to believe in her stated innocence.
Possession of the bag that contained the cannabis established a prima facie case under Indonesian Law, the same as it would in nearly every Country in the World.
If Ms Corby is innocent (something that I am not able to determine just by seeing photo's of her), I would hope that supporting evidence will come to light and be available for an appeal. The Australian Government has offered the services of 2 of the leading Australian QC's.
If Ms Corby is guilty, then she has carried out an act that is contrary to the Laws of Indonesia and is subject to the ensuing penalties.
To link the donation of money, goods and assistance to the people of Indonesia affected by the tsunami, to the sentencing of an Australian charged with a crime is, in my opinion, spurious and lacking in any logical relevance. I gave money to help people in Indonesia who were victims of a natural disaster. I did not give money in order to be able to request that a foreigner receive special treatment over and above that on offer to Indonesian Nationals in a Court of Law.
I live in Australia, but work in Malaysia. Whilst I am in Malaysia, I am subject to the Laws of this Country. It doesn't matter whether I agree or disagree with Malaysia's Laws and associated penalties, it is what it is.
Should an appeal fail, the Australian Government is likely to request that some of her sentence be served in an Australian Jail.

Sorry for going back off-topic there - couldn't help myself. Hmmm, what was the topic? That's right, Miltary Recruiters banned from school...
I guess if kids are nearly old enough to join the forces, they're probably old enough to hear the sales pitch.
I was not in favour of Gulf War 1 and remain not in favour of Gulf War 2. I don't, however, have any problem with people joining the armed forces.
I work in the Oil & Gas sector (the one that's going to disappear in X years) and look forward to when Armies take on ExxonMobil's motto - "Nobody Gets Hurt".
I personally feel that all International conflicts should be solved by a series of Sprint Matches at the UN Velodrome (could be a portable affair like the ones used in 6-Days). To make it better for televised broadcasts, the representatives should have to wear their national dress during competition - Watch out for those wily Scotsmen...

"The sentencing appears to be no harsher than that imposed upon Indonesian Nationals for similar crimes."

Glad you reminded me of that. The problem is the media is forgetting that it's not only tourists who are falling foul of these despots, but the indigenous peoples as well. Not only is it unacceptable that Miss Corby should face 20 years in jail over a plant, but neither should the Indonesian population have to put up with such a situation. Campaigners should make it clear they are objecting to this situation on the grounds the whole legal stance reflects a contempt for human rights under the current Indonesian regime.
If this had been a case of Corby possessing coke or heroine I'd have been less sympathetic. Cannabis, however, is a very mild substance so the idea of someone winding up with a stiffer sentence than the Bali bomber is ridiculous.
I do think the idea of a tourist boycott is the way to go as, to my mind, Indonesia is not a safe place to holiday. Assuming these drugs were planted in Corby's luggage, while her cases were still in Australia, and given the fact some key witnesses disappeared this simply shows just how an assumed holiday can turn into a nightmare.
Much has been said about countries such as Israel in the past but I seriously doubt either visiting tourists or Israelis would have their rights infringed by these kinds of despots in the way we see here. We shouldn't be endorsing regimes that either amputate limbs, stone people in the streets or lock others up over a trivial offence. Yes, I think Australia should get tough and I'm glad public opinion has woken up to an evil that has been going on for some time, as you correctly pointed out. It took the images of a distraught woman to shock people into reality.
My apologies too for going off the thread. I'll open this up under a new heading.

EoinC said:
1) Indonesia is a sovereign nation. When you enter Indonesia, you are subject to the laws of that nation. Every nation's laws are different. Walking around with a handgun may be legal in some places in the USA, but would have the TRG evacuating the area if you did it in Australia.
2) Possession of cannabis is illegal in (most) of Australia, and in Indonesia. Within this debate, it is irrelevant whether this is right or wrong. Within Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia (and, of course, many other Countries), the penalties are very serious ones. Every time you fly into Singapore, there is an announcement that importation of narcotics carries the Death Penalty.
3) The comments I have seen from the Australian legal fraternity, in observing the trial, indicate that it was conducted fairly and in accordance with Indonesia's legal framework. The sentencing appears to be no harsher than that imposed upon Indonesian Nationals for similar crimes.
4) Schapelle Corby has the right of appeal. I have not yet seen whether she intends to excercise this right.
5) The quantity of cannabis involved is at a commercial level - somewhere around 4.1kg. As in many Countries, in Indonesia, possession of commercial quantities of a prohibited substance is treated more severely than possession for own use.

There are a number of different things to consider here and a lot of it has to do with reaction to publicity.
IIRC, there are currently around 43 Australian Citizens in Jails in Southeast Asia on charges of possession or trafficking prohibited substances. At least 2 of these people have received the Death Penalty. The plight of these others has not attracted the same publicity (and ensuing symapathy) as that of Schapelle Corby. I may be wrong, but the public image of Ms Corby that has been portrayed by the media may make the public more willing to believe in her stated innocence.
Possession of the bag that contained the cannabis established a prima facie case under Indonesian Law, the same as it would in nearly every Country in the World.
If Ms Corby is innocent (something that I am not able to determine just by seeing photo's of her), I would hope that supporting evidence will come to light and be available for an appeal. The Australian Government has offered the services of 2 of the leading Australian QC's.
If Ms Corby is guilty, then she has carried out an act that is contrary to the Laws of Indonesia and is subject to the ensuing penalties.
To link the donation of money, goods and assistance to the people of Indonesia affected by the tsunami, to the sentencing of an Australian charged with a crime is, in my opinion, spurious and lacking in any logical relevance. I gave money to help people in Indonesia who were victims of a natural disaster. I did not give money in order to be able to request that a foreigner receive special treatment over and above that on offer to Indonesian Nationals in a Court of Law.
I live in Australia, but work in Malaysia. Whilst I am in Malaysia, I am subject to the Laws of this Country. It doesn't matter whether I agree or disagree with Malaysia's Laws and associated penalties, it is what it is.
Should an appeal fail, the Australian Government is likely to request that some of her sentence be served in an Australian Jail.

Carrera said:
"The sentencing appears to be no harsher than that imposed upon Indonesian Nationals for similar crimes."

Glad you reminded me of that. The problem is the media is forgetting that it's not only tourists who are falling foul of these despots, but the indigenous peoples as well. Not only is it unacceptable that Miss Corby should face 20 years in jail over a plant, but neither should the Indonesian population have to put up with such a situation.

There are plants and plants... How about if she was carrying 50gms of Opium Poppy seeds ? FWIW I think the Cannabis legislation as it stands *globally* is ridiculous. A quick google provided this :

"Secondly, the Netherlands, like all other members of the United Nations is a signatory of the UN conventions of 1961, 1971 and 1988 which oblige signatories to criminalise cannabis use together with the use of various hard drugs."

As you can see, it's really down to the folks at the UN to ammend the legislation. I can't see it getting very far, legislation has a habit of growing rather than shrinking, I suspect the only way that legislation will be broken is by global civil revolt.

Carrera said:
Campaigners should make it clear they are objecting to this situation on the grounds the whole legal stance reflects a contempt for human rights under the current Indonesian regime.

Ironically they are actually in full compliance with the UN's conventions on this one. It's worth taking a look at which nations have traditionally pushed for that legislation and then follow the money.

Carrera said:
Much has been said about countries such as Israel in the past but I seriously doubt either visiting tourists or Israelis would have their rights infringed by these kinds of despots in the way we see here.

You would be entirely wrong in that regard. :(

Carrera said:

...Not only is it unacceptable that Miss Corby should face 20 years in jail over a plant, but neither should the Indonesian population have to put up with such a situation. Campaigners should make it clear they are objecting to this situation on the grounds the whole legal stance reflects a contempt for human rights under the current Indonesian regime...
From what I have seen of the "Campaigners", they are not objecting to Indonesians and others receiving long sentences for importation of a prohibited substance, they are objecting to a young Australian woman receiving a similarly long sentence for importing 4.1kg of a prohibited substance.
Indonesia does not have Sharia Laws, with amputations and stonings and, if we are not to endorse the regimes of nations where people are locked up for "trivial" reasons, it looks like many of the Western nations are also to be excluded.
What exactly is Australia meant to "get tough" about? A democratically elected Indonesian Government acting within the bounds of its own legislation?
I've spent a fair bit of time in many parts of Indonesia and don't recall any of the Indonesian Citizens that I have spoken with as ever mentioning that their number one concern was getting reduced sentencing levels for people importing prohibited substances.
What would boycotting tourism achieve? Do you really think the majority of tourists care that Indonesia has serious penalties for importation of commercial quantities of prohibited substances? Are you planning on shutting down tourism to Singapore at the same time? How about closing Disneyland because of USA's fairly hefty Federal drug enforcement legislation?
If you don't want to go to Indonesia because of it's laws, don't go. As for me, I'm happy to go back there.

EoinC said:

Agree w/ you here. The amt is significant-4.1 kg (9.02 lbs.) As you state, that is not a personal use amt. It is a commercial use amt. I will posit this: If Ms. Corby were not attractive in any way, would we be having this discussion :confused: I think not. It is unfair to call for special treatment based on sex or attractiveness. I say, if she is guilty, cane her !!! :rolleyes: No, seriously, if she knowingly brought the substance in or does not have an alibi, she is guilty. Now, the sentence does seem rather harsh BUT, I believe these countries enact strong deterrents partly, if not wholly, due appease western gov'ts concerns about trafficking in that part of the world. Our laws here state that one must keep thier baggage in thier immediate area of surviellance at all times so as to discourage someone "planting" contraband in said luggage. If she is innocent, I suspect an appeal will resolve the dispute.

EoinC said:
I personally feel that all International conflicts should be solved by a series of Sprint Matches at the UN Velodrome (could be a portable affair like the ones used in 6-Days). To make it better for televised broadcasts, the representatives should have to wear their national dress during competition - Watch out for those wily Scotsmen...
Other's have had the same idea but w/ a boxing ring. I think Saddam might have won in that arena, no :confused:

Carrera said:

Glad you reminded me of that. The problem is the media is forgetting that it's not only tourists who are falling foul of these despots, but the indigenous peoples as well. Not only is it unacceptable that Miss Corby should face 20 years in jail over a plant, but neither should the Indonesian population have to put up with such a situation. Campaigners should make it clear they are objecting to this situation on the grounds the whole legal stance reflects a contempt for human rights under the current Indonesian regime.
If this had been a case of Corby possessing coke or heroine I'd have been less sympathetic. Cannabis, however, is a very mild substance so the idea of someone winding up with a stiffer sentence than the Bali bomber is ridiculous.
I do think the idea of a tourist boycott is the way to go as, to my mind, Indonesia is not a safe place to holiday. Assuming these drugs were planted in Corby's luggage, while her cases were still in Australia, and given the fact some key witnesses disappeared this simply shows just how an assumed holiday can turn into a nightmare.
Much has been said about countries such as Israel in the past but I seriously doubt either visiting tourists or Israelis would have their rights infringed by these kinds of despots in the way we see here. We shouldn't be endorsing regimes that either amputate limbs, stone people in the streets or lock others up over a trivial offence. Yes, I think Australia should get tough and I'm glad public opinion has woken up to an evil that has been going on for some time, as you correctly pointed out. It took the images of a distraught woman to shock people into reality.
My apologies too for going off the thread. I'll open this up under a new heading.
I see. What are your thoughts inre: Saudi Arabia :confused: Indonesia is a Muslim country &, as such, condemns drug use/trafficking as a heinous crime. That is their prerogative.

davidmc said:
Other's have had the same idea but w/ a boxing ring. I think Saddam might have won in that arena, no :confused:
It would actually put Cuba in a good position for becoming a new World Superpower. Could be interesting...

EoinC said:
It would actually put Cuba in a good position for becoming a new World Superpower. Could be interesting...
Fidel is big, but he's getting too old & infirm to box :(