Self-styled motivation

Pendejo

Apr 8, 2006
I've got three of my own sayings that seem to help me get through the rough spots in training:

If you're not straining, you're not training. (Some of you don't seem to agree with this, but I can't believe anything else.)

If you're trying to build your endurance, you must endure. (There are no shortcuts.)

Don't try to get through with it - just get on with it. (You can't finish your workout all at once - all you can do is get on to the next moment.)

Does anyone else have their own personal mantras that seem to help?

Pendejo said:
I've got three of my own sayings that seem to help me get through the rough spots in training:

If you're not straining, you're not training. (Some of you don't seem to agree with this, but I can't believe anything else.)

If you're trying to build your endurance, you must endure. (There are no shortcuts.)

Don't try to get through with it - just get on with it. (You can't finish your workout all at once - all you can do is get on to the next moment.)

Does anyone else have their own personal mantras that seem to help?
My mantra:

The font you choose to post in is inversely proportional to your penis size... :p ;)

Crankyfeet said:
My mantra:

The font you choose to post in is inversely proportional to your penis size... :p ;)
Sorry, Cranky, but I couldn't read your reply.

... :D :D :D

When I go biking, I repeat a mantra of the day's sensations: bright sun, blue sky, warm breeze, blue jay's call, ice melting and so on. This helps me transcend the traffic, ignore the clamorings of work, leave all the mind theaters behind and focus on nature instead. I still must abide by the rules of the road, of biking, of gravity. But I am mentally far away from civilization. The world is breaking someone else's heart.

~Diane Ackerman

There are a few things I think about when training gets grueling, or motivation gets tested. One is wanting to stick to the program so I can see the results, and won't be able to regret later missing an element and thinking "what if?" later. Another thought is visualizing the other racers either not training or training just as hard... it keeps the competitive element there (for me anyway). Another thought is to fast forward to the closing stages of the next race and imagine feeling good that I'd done the hard work (and not lamenting that I had sold myself short on training).

This is all a bit hypocritical at the moment... my parents are in town... and I have slipped off my training program... :eek: