When can one call one's self a cyclist

Oops, that provoked more reaction than I expected.

I wasn't taking this thread seriously, and hadn't meant for my reply to be taken seriously either. I wasn't offended at becoming cyclista non grata, just amused. Reading it again that doesn't come across though.

Note to self: use smilies where body language and tone of voice aren't available.

anth said:
I've never been in a race, nor do I have any interest in watching other people do so. Reading some of those replies it would seem that this means that I'm not a cyclist. This came as a bit of a surprise, what with me going for a ride (or rides) almost every day.
well, first of all, there is no certification standard for calling oneself a cyclist.
You have to remember the answers given here are for "entertainment"...
and because of that, some are going to say things more in a more extreme manner in order to joke about it...

I think that anyone would agree that to call oneself a cyclist is that you have to ride a bike consistently over a certain time frame (not sure what time frame and thats where people would argue...) for myself, I ride 3 times a week for about an hour on two of those and about 2 hours on the third covering about 45 miles a week. I would call anyone a cyclist that rides
at least once a week for more than 15 minutes per outing... :D

poky said:
how many miles, or what events must one participate in before you can call yourself a cyclist.
It's not a question of miles or events. It's a question of regularity. If you ride regularly, say a few times a week at least, call yourself a cyclist. If you ride only every now and then, say a few times a year, you're not a cyclist.

You don't have to ride a century or participate in races or charity rides to call yourself a cyclist. But if you want to be honest about it, especially when you describe yourself to people, don't call yourself a cyclist unless you have made cycling a regular part of your daily or weekly routine.

I bought my first road bike in 1985 (KHS Gran Sport with Suntour components), but I didn't ride it regularly until 20 years later. Sure, I rode once in a while, but not to a degree worth mentioning. It was just something I owned in case I needed it, but I never needed it. In all that time, I never thought of myself as a cyclist, in the same way that today I no longer think of myself as a photographer, although I once earned my wage as a photographer, and I still own and occasionally use my camera gear.

If you're riding a bike, people who see you can certainly describe you as a cyclist (a la Hyacinth Bucket -- "Mind the cyclist, Richard"), but don't call yourself one unless you ride regularly.

Scott

ScottMartin said:
If you're riding a bike, people who see you can certainly describe you as a cyclist (a la Hyacinth Bucket -- "Mind the cyclist, Richard"), but don't call yourself one unless you ride regularly.
Aw go ahead..call your self a cyclist even if you don't ride regulary. Who cares what you call your self?

You are a cyclist if you ride a bike. even if it's five minutes, once a month. for those five minutes you are a cyclist.

To be a 'racer' is somewhat different.

when you realize that you no longer flex your legs at stoplights, (dont deny it, weve all done it) because you dont have to anymore. youve got what i call, permaflex.

I called myself a cyclist only after I got clipless pedals.

Before that I always felt like a person who rides her bike with her husband so we could do something together. Little by little, I got good bike shorts (my **** thanked me) and a few jerseys, a bike computer and gloves (to save my hands when I go down due to the clipless pedals). Then I felt like I was a cyclist.
But that's just me. I call my son a cyclist because he started riding with the DH and I. And he only has a jersey! Gotta get the boy some bike shorts just so he isn't riding in his jean shorts.

To add to the other list,

You're a cyclist when:

Even in the rain you wish you were riding

When you are stuck in your car you are jealous of the cyclist that just passed you

You have a book of bike trails and you check mark each one as you ride it

Ginny in Denver
05 Specialized Sirrus Comp

When you get that cool tan from cycling shorts and shirts.
And when you don't care any more.

Nice thread Poky.

And some fine answers.

So, when can you call yourself a cyclist?

You're in the car. Your wife/husband is driving. Suddenly you notice that a few hundred yards ahead is a rather attractive member of the opposite sex on a bicycle. (Obviously you can't see their face as they're cycling in the same direction you're travelling, so your judgement of their attractiveness relies entirely on your assessment of their rearmost features).

As you pass the cyclist you turn and stare.

Thirty yards later you've assessed their frame manufacturer and model, can recall whether or not they were clipless, have determined whether their saddle height was correct, and are able to provide them with a suggestion for their next component purchase. However, you be absolutely unable to recognise their face, even in a police line-up.

(unless they were still wearing that nasty fluorescent Assos top)

:)

Wheelist