Shimano 10-speed, Needs special cables?

bryandlewis

Mar 21, 2007
Forgive me if this subject has come up before, but I couldn't find it with a search.

I'm taking my old Trek 1000 and upgrading the components to a new 10-speed drive train. I've collected most of my new parts with the exception of the shifters/brake levers and cables. From what I read it appears that you just can't buy any cables and housing. You have to get the "sp41" cable kit, you can't use the "sp40" kit. What's up with that? How do the component's know the difference? Seems to simple-minded-me like the cable just connects the shifters to the derailliers, how many speeds there are shouldn't matter. Perhaps this is just a matter of Shimano wanting to sell more cables and the old cables will work fine. (fingers crossed)

I'm sure someone out there can enlighten me! :)

capwater said:
I use regular generic cables and housing, never heard of 9 vs. 10 speeds.
That's what I was thinking too.

I did find out a little more. The SP41 is the cable housing. Maybe that has a different dimention and the older housing can't attach to the 10-speed equipment?

I'm guessing that the 10-speed derailleurs require a more precise amount of cable travel to shift accurately. Maybe the difference in cables is the amount of flexibility and compression of the housing to meet those precision requirements. The older cables will probably still work, just not as well in the long term.

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com

ScienceIsCool said:
I'm guessing that the 10-speed derailleurs require a more precise amount of cable travel to shift accurately. Maybe the difference in cables is the amount of flexibility and compression of the housing to meet those precision requirements. The older cables will probably still work, just not as well in the long term.

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com

Makes no friggin' sense. If your precision is off 9 speed would shift like ****. Go in the back of any shop, the cable come in a big bunch and the housing is on a big roll. Nothing speed specific about either. Buy cheap cables and change them more frequently for the best sihting.

capwater said:
Makes no friggin' sense. If your precision is off 9 speed would shift like ****. Go in the back of any shop, the cable come in a big bunch and the housing is on a big roll. Nothing speed specific about either. Buy cheap cables and change them more frequently for the best sihting.
Hahahaha! I suppose after 20+ years it's time for new cables! :D I agree with your comments. Thanks!

bryandlewis said:
Forgive me if this subject has come up before, but I couldn't find it with a search.

I'm taking my old Trek 1000 and upgrading the components to a new 10-speed drive train. I've collected most of my new parts with the exception of the shifters/brake levers and cables. From what I read it appears that you just can't buy any cables and housing. You have to get the "sp41" cable kit, you can't use the "sp40" kit. What's up with that? How do the component's know the difference? Seems to simple-minded-me like the cable just connects the shifters to the derailliers, how many speeds there are shouldn't matter. Perhaps this is just a matter of Shimano wanting to sell more cables and the old cables will work fine. (fingers crossed)

I'm sure someone out there can enlighten me! :)
Brake Cables are different than Shift Cables in 2 ways:

1) Brake cables are stouter than shift cables
2) The housings of brake cables are fatter and the insides are different.

Brake cable housing have a spiral wound encasement. On the other hand shift cables have longitudinal wire encasement running along the entire cable making the housing incompressible resulting in accurate shifting.

You cannot use the shifter housings on the brakes because they will literally explode under braking pressure, hence the spiral nature of the encasement prevents this from happening. The drawback of that is that they compress (very little). If you use brake cable housings for shifter you would lose a little shifting accuracy because of the compression.

Just buy jagwire cable and housing sold by the meter and then cust to size as necessary. Take note that you use the cable for the specific application.