Should I prioritize a rear light with a steady or flashing mode?

Metal Earth

Sep 5, 2005
Whats the most effective way to grab a motorists attention - a steady rear light or a flashing one? It seems like a no-brainer, but hear me out. Proponents of flashing lights argue that theyre more conspicuous, especially in low-light conditions, and can be seen from a greater distance. But doesnt a flashing light also risk being perceived as an annoyance, like a strobe light at a rave, and thus be more easily ignored or dismissed by drivers? On the other hand, a steady light might be more easily recognizable as a cyclist, but does it provide enough visual punch to cut through the clutter of urban lighting?

Furthermore, are we prioritizing being seen over being understood? In other words, is a flashing light more likely to be misinterpreted as a pedestrian or another type of road user, whereas a steady light more clearly communicates Im a cyclist, and Im here? What about the role of context - does the type of road, time of day, or surrounding lighting conditions influence the effectiveness of one over the other? It seems like theres a lot of anecdotal evidence out there, but Id love to hear from people whove done some real-world testing or have insights into the psychology of attention-grabbing. So, which one should I prioritize - a rear light with a steady or flashing mode?