Spam

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
What's with this new breed of spam? The spammers are pretty ****ing busy putting up 25 spam threads in this sub-forum alone.

Reactions: petertangu
New technology I guess but they are wearing me out as well as pissing me off. I have banned more members in the last week than have been banned in 10 years. Maybe a robo-spammers.

Yeah, they're very active.
The spam catcher captures a lot of content but obviously a lot of other stuff is managing to evade capture.

I've seen your updates and I endeavour to act as quickly as possible, Alienator.

I'd ask other posters to also alert us to Spam if they notice it and we will take action.

I'm not complaining, I'm just amazed that someone would spend the time to post that **** all day long. What a sad existence.

I'm not sure why some are getting through, I passed it on to be looked at a week or so back. The filter is meant to train itself over time, but yeah as you pointed out it isnt' doing a very good job.

Quote: Originally Posted by jhuskey .
Maybe a robo-spammers.

Probably...

Basically its really easy to write a script that does everything automatically (like posting a specific message to a PHP or VBulletin forum platform like this one) except getting over the "Kaptcha" questions.

I suspect that the program they are using in programmed to post some links or some other stuff, then just asks for a URL (or URL-s) of a forum (or forums) and at some point it finds the "Kaptcha" questions at the registration phase and asks the "user" to manually input the answer.

After that it does everything automatically. Maybe you can find some patterns.

There are alot of programs like these to automate the process of downloading from websites like "Filehost" etc... They even reboot routers everytime a download is complete to acquire a new IP address.

The whole time needed from a user that is spamming using one of those programs would be less then a minute to flood a bunch of forums with 30 threads or something of spam link posts. Just a minute to put in all the forum URL's and then just to type the "Kaptcha" everytime its asked from the forum platform.

As you noticed though since this particular one requires multiple posts before they can post pictures there are no pictures posted yet... Thats something at least...
wink.png

Maybe, I'm just thinking that it might work... Since the forum requires multiple posts from a user before they can post pictures, you could also program the platform to require multiple posts before posting hyper links too.

Since most of the spam is from user profiles with a one digit post count it might work... They wont be able to post links on their first (and usually last) post on the forum...
wink.png

That is what I was referring to as a robo-spammer. It may be possible to ask new members to enter one of those mutated sign up codes before being able to post.
Since I am no where near a cyber-guru I am just therorizing.

That is what I was referring to as a robo-spammer. It may be possible to ask new members to enter one of those mutated sign up codes before being able to post.
Since I am no where near a cyber-guru I am just therorizing.

That would make it slower for them to post links on their first few posts... As the only actual "human" input required is these "Kaptcha" codes...

But removing the ability to post hyper links in the first 10 posts or something I think it might reduce the number greatly and it would not hassle the genuine new users inputing "Kaptcha" everytime in their first posts...

I dont think that they would bother making 10 non spam link posts before just to spam 10 posts later.

Actually I suspect that the person that is running the spam program doesnt even have an idea to where or what its posting, he or she is just typing "Kaptcha" codes and uses the programs to the forums URLs given by the "client"...
big-smile.png
(Which would be pro working for these "shops") But sometimes the links might even have a different purpose. As in virus, spyware etc distribution or fraudaulent on line shops charging credit cards...)
sad.png

Actually I was only proposing that the code must be entered to attain membership.

Actually I was only proposing that the code must be entered to attain membership.

I thought that there allready was a "Kaptcha" question on registering....

Another quick fix would be to replace anything related to url adresses with the "bad word" function. I think thats its a function on forum platforms to replace certain words with something else. For example if I typed:

"Mr. X is a big Troll" the bad word function would replace it with "Mr. X is a Blip Blip (automatically edited my the administrators)"

That would not fix the problem entirely as the threads would still be there, but it would not prevent from posting links... For everybody unfortunately but I think that if somebody wants to post a link they can do it other wise, as just typing "Google for this link" etc...

So if something types "www.spam.com" that would be automatically changed to "Link automatically removed by the administrators" But the posts would still be there.

I havent used the PHP or VBulletin "source code" or "editor" or whatever it is at all but I think thats pretty easy to do, as it is to insert a "Kaptcha" thingy...

But preventing the first few posts of a profile to contain anything with "www" or "something.***" or similar... No idea... But it should be doable...

If I remember correctly, when I first joined this site, my first 10 or so posts were held in some sort of queue and had to be approved by a moderator before they could be seen. At least I think it was this site???

I am sure you are correct. Steve may have changed the parameters. When I first joined my keyboard was made of wood and had been inspected by Ben Franklin.

Quote: Originally Posted by mpre53 .
If I remember correctly, when I first joined this site, my first 10 or so posts were held in some sort of queue and had to be approved by a moderator before they could be seen. At least I think it was this site???

I remember something like this too...

Quote: Originally Posted by Volnix .
I remember something like this too...

Yep posts from new members are meant to be treated more strict than long term members. Somethings def not working though, so we really appreciate any of you flagging dodgy posts as spam.

Did you have a look at the bike cafe sub category?
big-smile.png

There is about 15 spammy threads...
big-smile.png

Thats definitely software created...

I checked some forums about forums (
big-smile.png
) yesterday including the official one from VBulletin. .

There are lots of "add ons" I think they call them to prevent spam bots from registering etc.

Sorry I have been busy today but just deleted over 100 spam posts. I would like to kick the living S**T out of these spammers.

Quote: Originally Posted by Volnix .
Did you have a look at the bike cafe sub category?
big-smile.png

There is about 15 spammy threads...
big-smile.png

Thats definitely software created...

I checked some forums about forums (
big-smile.png
) yesterday including the official one from VBulletin. .

There are lots of "add ons" I think they call them to prevent spam bots from registering etc.

This site was running the Huddler platform, not vBulletin, when I joined. From the page layout, it looks like it still is.That's how I found it in the first place, researching Huddler. I'm one of several administrators on another website (not cycling related) that switched from vBulletin to Huddler. There were some glitches in the switch, and I was curious to see whether other Huddler sites had the same issues. One common one seems to be the "unintended" double post. I have to say that their IT people in their San Francisco base have been very helpful at addressing issues.

There are a few things that can block spammers. One is the mix of random letters that have to be manually entered to complete a registration, that defeats the bots, but it doesn't block human spammers. The most effective one that we've found is the Huddler feature that automatically queues new registrations for 10 posts/1 week pending moderator approval, so even if a spammer blitzes with 50 posts, none of them show to regular users. You can also block IP addresses from certain countries or domain names that are rife with spammers. But all of them involve some inconvenience to new people joining, and the automatic queue makes more work for the moderators.

And I do realize what moderators and administrators go through when spam bots lock onto a site. They all have lives away from the internet, especially those who are cyclists.They can't be online all the time.

I'm in favor of restrictions on new users, like queuing their posts for approval. I don't know, however, whether that would be more or less labor intensive for mods.

This site was running the Huddler platform, not vBulletin, when I joined. From the page layout, it looks like it still is.That's how I found it in the first place, researching Huddler. I'm one of several administrators on another website (not cycling related) that switched from vBulletin to Huddler. There were some glitches in the switch, and I was curious to see whether other Huddler sites had the same issues. One common one seems to be the "unintended" double post. I have to say that their IT people in their San Francisco base have been very helpful at addressing issues.

There are a few things that can block spammers. One is the mix of random letters that have to be manually entered to complete a registration, that defeats the bots, but it doesn't block human spammers. The most effective one that we've found is the Huddler feature that automatically queues new registrations for 10 posts/1 week pending moderator approval, so even if a spammer blitzes with 50 posts, none of them show to regular users. You can also block IP addresses from certain countries or domain names that are rife with spammers. But all of them involve some inconvenience to new people joining, and the automatic queue makes more work for the moderators.

And I do realize what moderators and administrators go through when spam bots lock onto a site. They all have lives away from the internet, especially those who are cyclists.They can't be online all the time.

Havent checked web related scripts much... I checked the VBulletin editor and there seem to be lots of tools or add ons or how they are called for it.

This is a pro-looking forum so I guess a proper IT company specializing in spam control could offer a solution.

I think that the random letter mix is the visual presentation of letters in an image file in the page that cant be automatically read by the spam bot. Probably the "Captcha" thingy... Thats the thing though. Everything else can be automated.

I download alot of stuff from these file host websites like "megashare" "filegator" etc. They have a thing where you are not allowed to download more then one file per hour. That is checked from your IP address. I downloaded a program which basically you just insert the URLs of the files from the hosting website and the program downloads them automatically, resets your router automatically and starts downloading the next file. The only time it needs input is when the "captcha" appears. But even then, it shows the "captcha" form in the program, you type the code and it starts all over again.

I suspect that the spam bot is working in the same way. One user just inputing some URLs from forums, the spam message and then just types the "captcha" everytime is required. Resetting routers and ip addresses and the lot. The thing probably works at a rate of fire of 5000 posts per minute or something.
big-smile.png
Even the user names dont make sense, even those might be auto created too.

Btw banning email addresses doesnt have much point either, as they might be using a remailer to get a fake email address to register. I messed with "Quicksilver" or what it was called once to check how it works... The original email adress doesnt appear in the receipients inbox and tracing is tricky. A favorite amongst terrorists or "sensitive groups" as the remailer program software companies say. The servers are run by who knows who too...

I think that just the URL posting blocking in the first few posts until approval might work... I am pretty sure an IT solutions company that specializes in forums might make a tool like that for this plaltform. Actually it might not be too hard to make it on your own too... Like the no photo until approval in first few posts that I vaguelly remember when I joined . Pending approval for all posts though might require alot of work from admins... There were about 20 threads earlier just in this sub-category.